Thread: Engineer View E/F Units

Default Engineer View E/F Units

Hello, I want to get a better view out the windshield for the 3DTS E/F Cabview.

I have already tried adjusting the numbers, also substituting other numbers but no luck. I did a search and it returned some suggestions, but I had no luck with Raising The View so that I can see out the windshield rather than looking straight at the gauges or the roof.

I finally substituted a totally different cab view that is only slightly better. I know about the Cabview at BLW which looks exactly want I need.

This is from the 3DTrains FUnit Cab. Now, as to exactly which number controls moving the view up vertically:

Tr_CabViewFile (
    CabViewType ( 2 )
    CabViewFile ( ../../Common.Cab/funitcab/F7frnt.ace )
    CabViewWindow ( 0 0 640 480 )
    CabViewWindowFile ( ../../Common.Cab/funitcab/F7frnt.ace )
    Position ( 1 3.7 8 )
    Direction ( 20 0 0 )

Hi Don,
    In this example section, it is the "position" line, and the second value (4.2) that changes up/down.
    CabViewType ( 2 )
    CabViewFile ( "../../Common.Cab/Dash9AC44/frontD9IR4153.ace" )
    CabViewWindow ( 0 0 640 400 )
    CabViewWindowFile ( "" )
    Position ( 0.95 4.2 9 )
    Direction ( 9 0 0.1 )

That said, you can't change any positioning in a 2D cabview inside the cab. The values only change how the view of the world is shifted on the outside of the windshield!

Remember, your 2D cabview is a fixed image (your .ace file) that you are using, so nothing changes there.
    3D cabviews (and in flightsim, 3D cockpits) have the ability with keystrokes or hat-switches on joysticks to actually raise & pan your "inside" views.
    Last edited by qballbandit; 10-02-2016 at 11:28 PM.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

So, given what Qballbandit said, is there a better E-Unit / F-Unit Engineer's view out there?

I am getting worse eyesight, I'm already 65 and have bifocals, looking through the bottom 1/4 of the windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    So, given what Qballbandit said, is there a better E-Unit / F-Unit Engineer's view out there?

I am getting worse eyesight, I'm already 65 and have bifocals, looking through the bottom 1/4 of the windshield.
    What is it you're trying to achieve Don?

Do you want a better view from the engineer's seat or do you want to be able to see more from the engineer's position? By the latter I mean including Head Out views for manouvering, coupling, switching etc. ?

One thing I've used to improve visibility on many loco's is to include a "Passenger View" in the cab. I set this up so that you get a "left hand" Head Out view by selecting the 5 key view (obviously you have to select the loco for the 5 view just as you would select the coach in a train with more than one passenger view so that the 5 key gives the loco view). You just copy the position figures for the right hand Head Out and change the "distance from the centre" number to a minus value so that it looks out left of centre rather than right.

This enables you to see blind spots which the ordinary 2D cab view often obscures.

The purists will argue that drivers couldn't see that but bear in mind that in the initial use of hi nose hood loco's or running long hood forward the loco's still carried a "fireman/stoker" who monitored the view the driver couldn't see ....just as they had in steam loco's. Purists should also realise that real drivers heads aren't held in a vice with a fixed view

Also note that BLW's F & E units come with a "virtual cab". Click the 5 key and you can rotate the driver view with the mouse 360 degrees. This isn't to the "photoreal" standard of most BLW 2D cab views but you can switch to the "virtual view to change your view and switch back to the detailed cab view for straightforward running.
    http://www.valleypass.com/Sales/NewCabE.htm
    http://www.valleypass.com/Sales/NewCab.htm

I believe Virtual Cabs are on the OR development list but haven't seen any WIP shots?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

While the position line only moves the view, the direction line will change what you see. In some cabviews the viewpoint is tilted down so you cannot see very far ahead on the track. This CAN be changed using the Direction line where it can be tilted up/down and pointed left/right.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Have you tried the one Brad Baily did?
    right.JPG
    left.JPG
    Jim

Yes I have downloaded that cab now, I will give it a go.

And Geoff, all wanted to do is get better view straight ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post

I believe Virtual Cabs are on the OR development list but haven't seen any WIP shots?
    Geoff,

if if you are referring to 3dCabs, ORTS has already implemented them plus 3DTrains and Dekosoft have already released locos with 3dCabs. 3DTrains' are Funits.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    Geoff,

if if you are referring to 3dCabs, ORTS has already implemented them plus 3DTrains and Dekosoft have already released locos with 3dCabs. 3DTrains' are Funits.
    .....of course! I quite forgot. In fact even more ridiculous is that I have the 3DTrains F Units but haven't run them yet!!!! Bought them and then real life events distracted me from the sims for a few weeks and forgot to check them out
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK