Thread: [TUTORIAL] Creating Custom Sounds

Default [TUTORIAL] Creating Custom Sounds

Just thought I'd post these here to help you all out.
    When a new video gets added to this series, it will be added to this thread.

Run8 Tutorials - Creating Custom Sounds (Part 1)

Run8 Tutorials - Creating Custom Sounds (Part 1.5)

October 11th, 2016 12:30 AM
    Run8 Sound Creators!!
    The Doppler effects issue HAS BEEN SOLVED!!

Thanks to Rebel Coltrane for discovering something that has been staring me in the face for 7 months and 9 days straight! What has to be done is WAY easier than I thought.

Tutorial on adding Doppler Effects to Custom Sounds in Run8 will go up tomorrow or Wednesday! Stay tuned!

Part 2 of the Run8 Custom Sound Tutorials is now live!
    Last edited by digitrax83; 10-12-2016 at 05:31 PM.
    "Skippy Granola's groovy dreamcatcher is pickin' up some bummer vibes." -Rell Julian. Bulletstorm
    Run8 Western Site Founder www.run8western.com

But why.....................?

I wasn't going to respond to this here. I already posted an angry enough message on my own forums, youtube, etc. a few weeks ago. I'm not on all the forums so I get bits of pieces of info from various people. Tonight for example I heard they are working on the installers for V2 on some public FB pages. Some of the more private FB pages I'm not on but others are.

When I seen this video I cringed. My first reaction was yeah that looks cool. I was around in the 1980's when cracking video games was very common in old Commodore 64's. I understand how money can be tight and not everyone can afford etc. etc. But what I cringed was there was a conversation on some of these public FB pages about people who some say were blowing smoke of creating freeware communities for shared content for Run8.

I was also around when MSTS first came out. As far as I know in order to release something or reskin someone else's creation especially a payware you needed their permission to do so. Likewise since Run8 is totally payware you would need their permission to do so. This to me leads down a path where people are going to circumvent Run8's income streams. In return if those streams are hurt it hurts the entire train sim community not just Run8. It means less competition in a niche that is already a micro niche. This isn't like the play it for free stuff you get from the app store. There are only a handful of train sims out there.

Do I use the data in Run8 including the XML files yes I do. But I don't circumvent their programming or copyright. All my software does is deal with waybills and build train files nothing more.

Anyways that's all I have to say here on it.

Thanks

Sean

I too was around when MSTS was introduced. I also know that even to this day it has a thriving community world wide with its successor Open Rails. MSTS offers to this day a lot of excellent quality payware and freeware all brought to you by third party content creators.

I find it laughable that anyone would cringe at the notion of someone being creative enough to improve upon a meager sound file in an already 4 year old simulator program. These users are just the kind of passionate people that could possibly make the program better.

After all, Run8's parent company,3DTrains LLC exists by creating third party content for MSTS. Now I do understand that their Run8 program is their creation is theirs to do with as they please. However there are talented individuals out there with tons of passion,ideas,and talent with willinigness to contribute. Just like the passion that drove the developers to create products for MSTS.

Make sense?
    Yeah I think it does too.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmajestyk View Post
    I find it laughable that anyone would cringe at the notion of someone being creative enough to improve upon a meager sound file in an already 4 year old simulator program. These users are just the kind of passionate people that could possibly make the program better.
    As a "passionate" person attempting to make a sim better I've been around since MSTS was introduced and over the years authored and posted for download many quality cabs based on my own photo's and repainted/posted several Amtrak passenger cars schemes. Based on your post, you obviously have never experienced Run8. Their sounds aren't "meager" and YouTube examples provided herein are, well, far from an improvement hence my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmajestyk View Post
    However there are talented individuals out there with tons of passion,ideas,and talent with willinigness to contribute. Just like the passion that drove the developers to create products for MSTS.
    The talent, ideas, passion, and willingness can stay here since MSTS wouldn't be anything without it. Leave Run8 alone. It's doing fine on its own.
    Last edited by Brad3816; 11-01-2016 at 02:46 AM.

Not taking sides in this but perhaps it's time the people behind Run 8 woke up and realised their customer base does have an appetite to mod or add their own items to the game. This was touched on in the V2 thread in regard to building routes - namely yes train simming is a niche within a niche, but the programs that have been most successful are those which give users a route building sandbox and the ability to add their own custom assets/train-sets. Obviously you get the chaff amongst the wheat but, as with MSTS, Trainz and TS20xx, you soon learn which add-on makers or modders produce something worthwhile and complements the original program and those whose efforts would be, being diplomatic, best kept on their own PC.

Obviously entirely up to 3DTS what they do with their intellectual property but there could be authors and modders out there with untapped talent that might actually be worth their while recruiting, after proving themselves with freeware.
    Vern.

Well V2 has been in development now for about 2 years give or take, and last I heard we are about a week away from finding out what it offers. Once that is in the can, it's a whole new ball game on many fronts.

First let me start by saying that I trust Digitrax and took the troll break on some FB pages that appeared to try and link what he has done to what they were proposing. Yes I know many are thirsty to use their talents, and even I wouldn't mind building a route myself. The SDK has never been rules totally out and who knows if it was updated to work with V2 as they do have their own editors. SDK may well be on the horizon next but I wouldn't go there.

If I was them (and I'm not) I'd franchise their services to those who want to create. In other words since the current SDK that the developers use is too costly or time consuming to support, let those that want the support pay for it. The MP we knew from V1 is going to change drastically come V2. More and more people will be putting servers up and you'll see this happen similar to what happened 4 years ago. Remember what happened then those that either had a purpose, strong enough support, or a reason to continue would survive. I've gone through days of nobody on, or low numbers at times for this very moment.

Does Run8 still need people absolutely. But right now it's not creativity or building worlds that sells Run8 it is MP, operations, physics, and a ever changing sandbox that anyone can create. It's operations that is created and not models (that is 3DTS realm for now and their meal ticket). But if they wish to expand their base I think you'll find there are those who demand and are willing to want more unique models and worlds to choose from. This is where 3rd party franchise players come into play.

I know we seen some people come and go and I'm not sure why. There was supposed to be a route in Chicago. Nobody is stopping contacting them for opportunities but they haven't exactly been free to help others the past couple of years either. They still support their own product, and are about to unleash V2. That alone will bring a new wave of required support no matter how good they make it. But if they do a good enough job now their support time will not be as huge, then they can focus on the next projects and perhaps a few of my suggestions, or others.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Brad3816 View Post
    Leave Run8 alone. It's doing fine on its own.
    Haha, good joke. We all know Run8 is starting to go down with TSW being previewed. If you allow modding and community creativity into the game, you might just have a chance of success.

For now, I will keep making my own mods with Digitrax, but hopefully you will come down to Earth and let the community grow themselves.

Callum

Wow these sounds are not good. I am glad we don't have this in the real sim.
    sparkplug