Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Freight cars for BLW ZT Connecticut River Line

Default Freight cars for BLW ZT Connecticut River Line

I've been remiss in posting progress shots of what I've been working on for a good while: the upcoming BLW/ZT Connecticut River Line set. Set in 1956, this will include locomotives from Boston & Maine, Central Vermont and Canadian Pacific all of which ran over the route of Paul Charland's upcoming Connecticut River line route. I've been working on freight cars, leaving locomotives to Max. Rick Franzosa has been the master and made the shapes and textures and some reskinning too. The goal is about 100 freight cars to go with the locomotives, representing a cross section of what was moving on the line at the time (and useful for just about any 1956 route, especially in the northeast and Canada). A heavy dose of Canadian cars are included, reflecting traffic patterns in the Connecticut River.

Lets start with flatcars:

BM 33565 flat.jpgPasted image at 2016_10_02 08_50 PM.jpgPasted image at 2016_10_02 08_30 PM.jpg

The 40' Flatcar was the mainstay of B&M's flatcar fleet. I've shown it here with crates which could have housed a shipment of machines from Claremont or Springfield. They would have been seen in maintenance service too. The SAL and C&O cars were documented going to Claremeont. Inbound loads for Claremont included steel for the large Sullivan Mfg plant and poles, which might be destined for any team track. SAL originated a lot of them.

And here are some gondolas:

Pasted image at 2016_10_02 08_24 PM.jpgPasted image at 2016_10_02 08_25 PM.jpg

The B&O gondola was bringing steel to Sullivan Mfg in Claremont.

Christopher

Two more gondolas. The Rutland car could be seen bringing Vermont marble to B&M points. With wood sides, they stood out in the 1950's. The Wabash gon was used to bring auto frames from Michigan to the Ford plant at Assembly Square, Somerville at B&M's Boston Terminal. Would have moved through White River Junction and through Canada. Rick is working on an auto frame load (not yet completed).

Also not yet completed, but close, are four B&M 40' steel drop bottom gondolas. They were seen all over, mostly in maintenance service, it seemed. In earlier years they were used a lot for delivering coal from warf to inland dealers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by conductorchris; 10-29-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Hopper cars for Bituminous coal for the mills along the route:

The dot on the B&O cars was applied to all cars with modern air brakes during the time of transition from what came before.
    The PRR car is a new repaint on one of he new schemes the PRR tried in the mid fifties to replace it's traditional look. An attempt to fix or disguise its underlying problems with paint.

These three railroads each had massive fleets that could be found everywhere, especially in the northeast.

That first B&O car was spotted bringing coal to the International Shoe factory in Claremont NH. The other cars were all at Claremont as well. Coy Paper got B&O hoppers for their power plant. Other mills up and down the valley also received coal. Some arrived in N&W, WM and Berwind hoppers which are not included in this set.

This offset model is actually a new model for this set, thanks to Rick Franzosa.
    Last edited by conductorchris; 11-11-2016 at 03:09 PM.

These all look great ... looking forward especially to the NYC, B&M and B&O stock, since all of that will fit well with many of the New Haven consists I like to run, and will help fill some gaps in currently available content.

Thanks. These will be perfect for the New Haven and will even include New Haven boxcars. Basically everything seen on B&M would be appropriate for NH as well, although the proportions might be a little different. There will be B&O and NYC boxcars as well.

Anthracite Hoppers for the coal dealers on the route. Central New Jersey, Lehigh & New England and Reading
    More of that new offset rib offset hopper that Rick made.
    That CNJ hopper is essentially a duplicate of one that was in the last PRR set (with a new number, of course).

Christopher

Nice looking models,
    A big improvement on the earlier BLW blurry car textures.
    and the coal loads are so much better than the stretched texture loads of earlier models.
    Stretched textures should be a thing of the past.
    Not sure what the load on the flat car is attempting to represent.
    One thing that does need looking into are the wheels, SLI has nailed it with the shiny wheel treads.
    No matter how old looking the car is, it should have shiny wheel treads.
    DB

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post

Anthracite Hoppers for the coal dealers on the route. Central New Jersey, Lehigh & New England and Reading
    More of that new offset rib offset hopper that Rick made.
    That CNJ hopper is essentially a duplicate of one that was in the last PRR set (with a new number, of course).

Christopher

Thank you, Dan.

We've got three different coal loads in this set, assuming the testers like them. The bituminous coal load is the same as in the PRR set, which I think looks pretty good. Rick put a lot of effort into it. This load in the CNJ car has much bigger nuggets of coal. One think I've noticed in pictures of hoppers is that diversity of coal chunk size. Also I know that anthracite coal doesn't look exactly the same as bituminous coal, so I tried to make an anthracite coal load with smaller chunks for variety. I'm far from an expert on coal, but I think this is a nice little improvement.

There are three loads pictured on the flatcars: crates, poles and steel plates. The crates (which use my neighbors compost bin as a texture) could be covers for just about anything. The poles are telephone poles. The same load could pass for pilings in a coastal area, but that doesn't apply for this set.

I will have to take a look at what Streamlines has done for wheel textures.

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post

I will have to take a look at what Streamlines has done for wheel textures.
    Christopher
    A nice wheel gloss, adds a real difference to a model.
    It's sort of, the next step up, from the old Flintstone wheels days.
    Cheers Ross

Ross, that certainly looks very good. We are discussing this and working on it.

In the mean-time, here is a CV hopper, mostly used for company service (coal and ash for steam engines, ballast and gravel for the right of way).