Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tankcars

Default Tankcars

Well, I decided it was time I finally did these..

First, are two strings for "Global Companies LLC" with UN1203 placard, use of Gasoline. A 7 string (41673 series) and an 8 string (28284 series).

Second, is a CGTX tank car, for Valero Marketing Services, with a UN1202 placard, used for Fuel Oil, #2, Clear, Diesel Dye, and Kerosene.

I plan on doing the other two black strings we get here in Burlington, as well as at least 9 more tankcars for Valero (including CGTX, GATX, and ACFX.)

Side Note. These strings for Global, originally came from the 15-16 car strings, but have been broke down into 7-8 car strings, specifically to be used for Global's unloading facility here.
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

Beautiful as always, Shawn. Thanks for letting us in on these!

Geoff

Sweet!!
    With all the hours I put in to watching trains all over the place locally, I have never seen a string of "connected" tankers like the GATX ones above.
    Are they predominantly used only in certain parts of the country, on certain roads/lines?
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

I think the GATX "Tank Trains" showed up mainly in the West or on the western transcontinental runs, at least originally. Don't know how far east they tend to go. I don't recall ever seeing them here in New England, at least.

Those cars do look really good!

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

SP ran the tank trains for years from Bakersfield to Los Angeles refineries, they were known as "The Oil Cans". That ended with the building of a pipe line. UP was running some from a Los Angeles refinery and up the coast line to ??? with hot asphalt oil, don't know if that still happens.
    oil cans.JPG
    Jim

Technically only one New England railroad uses them, but the two that use these in this region, are CPRail from Albany(Kenwood Yard), NY to Whitehall, NY, then onto Vermont Railway from Whitehall, NY into Rutland, VT and then up to Burlington, VT.

Very rarely they will be seen over the NECR from Burlington, VT to St. Albans, VT, then onto CN into Canada, only to go to the GATX shops in Montreal.

Jim, funny about the 486 string, it is now a white string here.

I believe I have another 416 and another 282 string to do, will be checking into those and hopefully have them officially release this coming weekend.

As for the Valero cars, That may be a slower process as I gather the car numbers currently here in the Burlington Yard.

Is there a reason for having white vs black? I miss the oil cans of old, nothing sounded better then having 4-5 SD40/45 in the lead, 5-6 mid train helpers and a few pushers on the rear pulling up Tehachapi grade..
    Jim

White tanks are longer than the black tanks, and some have different walkway set ups then the black. So my mistake on the 486 string, was thinking of the 186 string, which is actually the longest string we have. (Much like a propane tank car size). Looking through, I don't think we even use the 486 string.

I gathered some more,
    For the black strings, we have 41673, 28284, which is shown above, and I plan to do the 41678 string, and still looking for that fourth black string. It's not nearly as common as the 73 and 84 set.
    For the white strings, we have 44584, 44589, 44600, 69259, 18644. I do eventually plan on doing these as well. VTR/CP hauls a total of 11 strings. So far I am only finding videos of the 8. Going to guess the other 3 are not so common.

Side note, I will also provide additional textures, for each string, that have a "1993" placard, for those wishing to swap and haul diesel fuel/fuel oil. Not very often they will haul this, however, usually before a cleaning, they place diesel fuel to haul, as it's much easier to clean than gasoline. This of course will be entirely up to the end users.

For those that are on my beta test list, I will be sending what I have above, and any additional string, will be sent one at a time for testing.

Finally, I've been tweaking the settings. Unloaded tanks will be around the 30 ton mark, while loaded will be around the 130 ton mark. Addition, I tweaked the air values, "MaxReleaseRate" is now set to 5, which gives an accurate release rate of 15 seconds or so of brakes. As well as the application of 2. Brakes are slow to come on, especially the tail end of the train.

Lot's of time being placed into this set..

Looking forward to these cars. My knowledge of tank cars is between zilch and 0. When they hauled crude oil I don't know if they loaded them HOT and the cars were insulated or if they had some kind of heating device on the cars or if crude flows without heating.? I'm pretty sure the asphalt oils leaving the refineries were loaded HOT.
    Jim

Since the governments of USA/Can won't build new (Keystone) pipelines , were going to need more tank cars.
    Rory