Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New IC Caboose Model

Default New IC Caboose Model

Hey folks, I'm back and have a new model to show. It's still a WIP but late enough in development that changes will be minimal. I recently finished the interior. Like usual, the model is "good enough"; I could add another 10,000 polys with better grab irons but the improvements would not be noticeably dramatic.

Hopefully I can get some time soon to add some weathering. I plan on doing a few different repaints in the IC/ICG/CN camp.

Tyler

The interior work is well done. Especially like the details - weathering will be the frosting on the cake, so to speak.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Very nicely crafted, Tyler!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

That's talented work!
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    The interior work is well done. Especially like the details - weathering will be the frosting on the cake, so to speak.
    Really nice model

As Gerry says the interior is excellent but could I suggest trying desaturating and darkening the green. I'm sure the colour is spot on but in reality the interior is barely visible from outside and most of the cabs I've got to see were pretty dim inside?

BTW looking at these on http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsL...px?id=IC&cid=1 it would seem that the difference between "displayed" or museum versions and actual road weathering is rather marked. In fact you can really go to town on weathering judging by this example? http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1913447
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

This thing looks beautiful! Job well done Tyler!
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Probably desaturate the outside too.

Thanks for the compliments and comments, guys. I agree that the interior is too bright; I'll try to tone it down a bit. The modern versions have an off-white or grey interior, which may be troubling in this area too. I'm going to try darker windows on the outside to see if that improves the look as well. With the shape largely complete, my next push is in the texture dept. and, hopefully, I'll have something more to show soon.

Tyler

Hi Tyler,
    Rather than change the colour for the interior try desaturating it first? Do you use PSP or Photoshop? I use the latter but I'm sure PSP has the same control? Also if you darken the interior the windows might not need darkening too much?

Looking forward to these.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Hi Geoff,

I use GIMP for texture editing. It was free when I started learning to do repaints and it does a good job for what I want it to do.

I did a little work on the textures this evening. Still no weathering on the exterior but I dulled the colors a bit. The windows are darker but it didn't seem to affect daytime vision looking outward from the #5 view.

All of my testing so far has been in OR. I'll have to wait until the shape is ready for Polymaster before I can try MSTS. I think it's right around 12,000 polys. Might be a bit stiff for MSTS but Open Rails takes it like a champ!

Tyler