Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New IC Caboose Model

Hi Tyler,

I forgot GIMP. It's excellent from what I've seen since I downloaded it. It would be my programme of choice if I loose Photoshop.

That wear and tear on the interior is excellent. The interior of cabs has been largely neglected apart from a few notable exceptions.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Similar to what CNR did with some boxcars at the old Moncton Shops.
    053.jpg

That really is GREAT work Tyler! Well done!
    - Chris N.

I can only do so much... peons only have so much power.

Again, thank you! I did a bit more work today. Finished joining the shape and running it through Polymaster, as well as more texture and weathering work. The model successfully runs in MSTS.

I have a peculiar problem to address: After running the shape through polymaster, my inside window panes disappeared in Open Rails. They are present in Shape Viewer and also in MSTS. I checked the OR Log but saw no references to the IC caboose. I have experienced the opposite a number of times, when MSTS did not show windows but Open Rails did, so I will try the same fix to see if it works both ways.

Just a few more things to address and then I'll send it your way.

I liked the head-end shot so I figured I'd include it.

Here's a couple from MSTS

EDIT: Even more peculiar, my missing windows are only missing in the #5 view. I can go to #8 view and they are present. Mmmm....

I also found an old forum thread while searching Google for IC Caboose pics. It features my early attempts at repainting. Everyone has to start somewhere....
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...ral-Gulf/page2

Tyler
    Last edited by tbundy1982; 11-20-2016 at 09:27 PM.

So, after testing the #5 view in Open Rails, I have found something even more peculiar. When I'm up in the cupola, all of the windows are clear; when I move the camera down to the floor, the windows magically re-appear! Since the cupola side windows include the window frame, I can determine that it is not the shape that is disappearing but only the alpha-channel transparent windows. Areas of the windows that are supposed to remain opaque are still visible when the window tint disappears. This might be an Open Rails bug, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears....

Tyler

Ahh, problem solved. Apparently one cannot hide the parent part in all parts of the LOD. Allowing my placeholder Main and AlphaMain squares to be shown (hidden in model) cured the problem. Never heard of that before.

A little more texture work has been done. I have decided my weathering skills are still a work in progress. A cleaner version looked nicer to my eye. It fits the mid-70's era well. I'll still work on weathering and maybe do a dirty version in the future.

Tyler

Heck of an end result. Really looks good.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by tbundy1982 View Post
    So, after testing the #5 view in Open Rails, I have found something even more peculiar. When I'm up in the cupola, all of the windows are clear; when I move the camera down to the floor, the windows magically re-appear! Since the cupola side windows include the window frame, I can determine that it is not the shape that is disappearing but only the alpha-channel transparent windows. Areas of the windows that are supposed to remain opaque are still visible when the window tint disappears. This might be an Open Rails bug, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears....
    Tyler
    One of these threads at Elvas may provide a starting place for the answer >>>

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind..._1#entry165634

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind..._1#entry187908

and...
    Quote Originally Posted by tbundy1982 View Post
    ...A little more texture work has been done. I have decided my weathering skills are still a work in progress. A cleaner version looked nicer to my eye. It fits the mid-70's era well. I'll still work on weathering and maybe do a dirty version in the future.
    Tyler
    You should be satisfied with the texture weathering, maybe a work in progress (I've not enough experience to judge properly), but nicely done in this instance. Fine work indeed! Thanks for the excellent addition to the library.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 11-21-2016 at 02:52 PM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Thanks for the links Gerry. I'm happy the trouble was short-lived.

First draft of the deathstar:

Tyler

These actually remind me a bit of the PTM converted cabooses. Though drastically different.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1363510
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png