Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Finding Missing Locomotives

Default Help Finding Missing Locomotives

Can anyone help me find these missing locomotives? I've checked all of the websites and forums that I'm aware of, but couldn't find them. Your help is much appreciated.

GMOE8A
    ATSFGP7
    SD40-2 SF 5142 & 5192
    C&IM 73 & 74
    CABCIM
    Wabash 1002A
    SF 311 & 312
    GM&O1511
    GMO 525, 528, & 529
    GM&OF3B65
    GMO 724, 725, & 727
    GMO 919, 916, 925, 901, 905
    GMO 50
    GM&O12
    GMOXferCab
    AT_P42#29, 31, & 32
    UP3445
    Wabash 607 & 627

Please do not respond by saying "use ConBuilder to change the consist". I'm aware of how to change a consist. I'm looking for the original equipment, as intended by the activity author. Also, the requested GMO equipment is not available at www.mstsgmo.com, so I'm hoping that these are repaints buried somewhere in TrainSim. Your help is much appreciated!

--James Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by jbrad1974 View Post
    Can anyone help me find these missing locomotives? I've checked all of the websites and forums that I'm aware of, but couldn't find them. Your help is much appreciated.

GMOE8A
    ATSFGP7
    SD40-2 SF 5142 & 5192
    C&IM 73 & 74
    CABCIM
    Wabash 1002A
    SF 311 & 312
    GM&O1511
    GMO 525, 528, & 529
    GM&OF3B65
    GMO 724, 725, & 727
    GMO 919, 916, 925, 901, 905
    GMO 50
    GM&O12
    GMOXferCab
    AT_P42#29, 31, & 32
    UP3445
    Wabash 607 & 627

Please do not respond by saying "use ConBuilder to change the consist". I'm aware of how to change a consist. I'm looking for the original equipment, as intended by the activity author. Also, the requested GMO equipment is not available at www.mstsgmo.com, so I'm hoping that these are repaints buried somewhere in TrainSim. Your help is much appreciated!

--James Bradley
    Oh Goodee! A Puzzle!

Seriously James??

It might help if you share a bit more info!
    What activity?
    What Route?
    By whom? ...and posted when and where?
    ....and is the above list actually what it says in the Read Me?
    The Read me doesn't identify the source of ANY of that great long list of stock!?

Have to say that if that was all I read in an activity read me I wouldn't waste the time downloading it

IF you're so dead set on running this and you want some constructive help I don't get why you're SO determined to make life difficult by NOT changing the stock.

Firstly you may/may not be aware that Paul who set up the GMO site you linked to died recently. However his wife has maintained the site and folk here have purchased his sets since then.

IF the activity Read Me doesn't have a source for this stock here's what I'd do.

1) Go to RR Picture Archives and find the GMO page ...actually here http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/loc...?id=GMO&Page=1

2) Using the numbers from your list you can easily work out what type of loco the number relates to. If there are included consist files the other stock might be a clue as to there origin?

3) If you look at the packs available at your link above AND at http://www.valleypass.com/Sales/GM&O.htm you ought to be able to find quite a bit of stock and just about all the loco's? I linked to one BLW pack but there may be more GMO stuff on the site. Check it out.

IF you want to change the act there are other utilities such as "Activity Changer" that allow quite a bit of editing of the original including the stock.

Without further info I doubt anyone could help
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Thanks Geoff. I've done all of that. The route was the ATSF Marceline Sub, which is available on TrainSim. The route did not come with a Read-Me, nor did it come with a comprehensive list of files needed to run the activities. Originally, the list of missing engines and wagons was in the thousands. I was able to track most of them down using the methods you described, doing a search of the locomotive number or type, then the builder. I even did a search under content creator names, but haven't been able to find any of the remaining content.

I've been able to run the route by removing the offending consists, but it would be fun to see the activities as the original author intended. Given that the route is from the early 2000's (2004, I think), that may not be possible. Much of the original content simply isn't available, but I thought I'd try to see if there may be a website I'm not aware of with some of the content.

I was aware of Paul's unfortunate passing, and I have sent the list to wife. She didn't believe any the content belonged to GMO, but couldn't confirm that. She told me to try the MSTS community...which is what I'm doing. I may end up just deleting the route, as it appears to be more trouble than it's worth. I'm hoping that with OpenRails, we'll start to see some new life breathed in MSTS. There are still plenty of other routes to explore, so if I can't find the original content for this route...I'll just move onto something else.

Thanks for your constructive criticism and time.
    --James

Hi James,

from the Marceline "readme" txt

All default equipment (rolling stock) must be installed.

This route uses Xtracks ver 3.20 and NewRoads 3.2.Std (Build 38) or better.

Install instructions:

Run the Marcie installer. Thats it, no need to run a bat file.
    The route has activities that use default rolling stock.
    and BTW that's in the library as a 2015 upload?

Sure you haven't mixed some folders up?
    Last edited by lateagain; 11-19-2016 at 06:28 AM.
    Geoff
    UK

Or is this what you're using?
    actdevpk.zip
    Geoff
    UK

Deleting a route simply because you can't find the stock is silly. I stink at making activities so I run other peoples' work...if I don't have the stock, I swap it out..simple as that..Activity Master is a swell little utility that's worth it's weight in gold..you can change out the stock in any activity in 3 or 4 mouse cliks and less than 3 minutes....well worth the small price you will pay for it! I wonder how many really well done routes like Marcilene hit the recycle bin because the op doesn't want to put in a little effort?
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

There is a newer (2015) version of the route in the library by Bob Wirth and it uses all default stock in the activities.

Sent from my A9x/PTAB935x using Tapatalk
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Geoff...that's the wrong Marceline route. There are two in the library. The newer one from 2015 is not the one I'm referring to. There's an older one from 2004 (by Jim Duncan, I believe) that requires 10 zip files and does not use default equipment. I downloaded the newer one that uses default equipment, but didn't care for it. For as new as it is, it lacked the detail I've come to expect with newer MSTS routes. The route from 2004 has MUCH more detail and looks far more realistic, in my opinion. That's the route I'm trying to locate the equipment for...not the one from 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrad1974 View Post
    Geoff...that's the wrong Marceline route. There are two in the library. The newer one from 2015 is not the one I'm referring to. There's an older one from 2004 (by Jim Duncan, I believe) that requires 10 zip files and does not use default equipment. I downloaded the newer one that uses default equipment, but didn't care for it. For as new as it is, it lacked the detail I've come to expect with newer MSTS routes. The route from 2004 has MUCH more detail and looks far more realistic, in my opinion. That's the route I'm trying to locate the equipment for...not the one from 2015.
    Hi James,

Yes, I know of the route you are talking about, it's the Jim Duncan version from 2004, I believe, and yes, it is quite a bit more detailed than the 2015 Bob Wirth version. Jim also did the Cleveland Union Terminal Route and the GM&O Northern Division route, all available in the file library. One thing that characterizes Jim's routes is, despite the early provenance of his work, the fine attention to detail and the proper use of scenic elements, even though he uses very early shapes and textures. Below are a few screenshots from his Marceline Sub route.

Open Rails 2016-10-08 02-43-17.jpgOpen Rails 2016-10-08 02-56-58.jpgOpen Rails 2016-10-08 02-58-53.jpg

An unfortunate aspect of his routes, however, is that they are all in an unfinished state to one extent or another. I was never able to find the precise cars and locos that you mentioned in your original post, so ended up having to substitute freeware and payware stock (some of which you see in the above screenshots) I purchased or downloaded from Paul Fowler's GM&O website when he was maintaining that site. Most of the freeware stock I used was from his now-defunct GMOSS (Springfield Switch) route that used to be on Frank Burns' Mophouse Forum site, also now sadly defunct.

So the short of it is that you are unfortunately going to have to substitute with an app that does that. The good news is that newer stock looks 10x better than most of the stuff from 2004; the bad news is that it takes time. Even the app that Frank mentions above requires you to catalog your stock, and that too takes time. As we get further and further away from MSTS' heyday, and as sites close and people remove uploaded files, this will become even more necessary.

My advice would be to take this process a little at a time; in the meanwhile you can use the activities that use the default stock. Remember that this is a hobby to be enjoyed; when it becomes tedious put it down and come back to it later when you are fresh.

If you need more info, send me a pm.

Cheers,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Shawmut View Post
    Hi James,

Yes, I know of the route you are talking about, it's the Jim Duncan version from 2004.... Jim also did the Cleveland Union Terminal Route and the GM&O Northern Division route....

An unfortunate aspect of his routes, however, is that they are all in an unfinished state to one extent or another.
    Dave
    Indeed. I tracked down Jim and very politely asked for his permission to add some tiles to the GM&O route so as to take advantage of Open Rail's extended view distance, use his textures and trees only on the new tiles. Nothing else. He told me, basically, to shove my request where the sun doesn't shine, because MSTS is "too political" and because I probably didn't know jack about route editing he wasn't interested in hearing from everyone about how I screwed up his route.

I didn't bother replying that I've got ~13 years of route building experience... in fact I didn't reply at all. Except for these thoughts right here. It's his route so yeah, I took a hike and havn't looked at that route since.

FWIW, this is what a route (one of mine) can look like w/ extended view distances -- an experiment: 10km of near terrain, 100km of DM. Click once to display, click on the image again to see it large and again to see it full size:
    Clipboard0661.jpg
    Last edited by muskokaandtahoe; 11-19-2016 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added parenthetical comment
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.