Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Finding Missing Locomotives

I do recall that there are packages of the old GM&O stock to be found here at trainsim. I did go check it out at one point and I recall that the rolling stock is now crude by today's standards. It might be in an odd category, like "miscellaneous" or something - hard to find by searching, but I did stumble on it.

I have had good results swapping out rolling stock using Goku's new consist editor. I find it vastly easier than Activity Master. It's actually rather fun (for me).

I too find value in what the original activity author intended, however once I figure that out I can often improve on it.

Christopher

It's rather odd that the GM&O seems to have courted such controversy over the years

With an abundance (compared to some) of excellent stock there's been other fall outs over routes too? ....unless I'm confusing them with one of the two mentioned?

I remember Paul developed a route along with another route builder to use his GM&O stock on. They had a rather public falling out here on the forums I seem to remember. The issue was that Paul wanted to push the envelope and put (for back then) a massive amount of scenery foliage etc. into the route. Trouble was as a team (don't recall the other parties name now) they'd created a lot of track mileage. The Partner quarrelled that the depth of scenery Paul was wanting would take years to complete. So after a bust up the partner released the whole route with little scenery and Paul released his version with what was back then an unprecedented level of scenery.

It's a matter of choice.

To me Paul was right and his released work was superb but rather short. I personally think that routes without full depth of scenery aren't worth the disc space and that makes some folks favourite route builders efforts pointless to me personally.

I see little point in creating superb detailed stock when there is little more than a track layout to run it on The screenshot forum is full of shots under the heading of X route or Y route which when you look at them are all just shots of the loco's and stock. Looking beyond the train it's obvious that there's only minimal scenery in these routes. You might as well take shots in Shape Viewer .

BTW Dave that looks good ...but it does remind me more of FSX than OR?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Thanks Dave! I very much appreciate your positive response. I knew before posting that I would have to change out the consists, but I thought I would throw a "hail Mary", so-to-speak, and see if these were still available somewhere. Thanks again for your time.

--James

Dave...if that's the Cal-P (it looks like the Port Costa shoreline), it's looking great! I love how OR adds a distant view of the hills. Thank you for your positive comments, as well.

I haven't had much time recently for MSTS (or your Cal-P route), but I'm hoping over the holidays to have some more time.

--James

Thanks, Frank. I actually downloaded the 2015 route before downloading the 2004 route. While the 2015 route uses default equipment, it lacked any detail. I prefer to run routes that look real, as opposed to running on a blank canvas. Sure it saves disk space and memory, but it defeats the purpose of the simulation...realism. That's why I thought I'd give the 2004 route a chance, and what a difference it made.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrad1974 View Post
    While the 2015 route uses default equipment, it lacked any detail. I prefer to run routes that look real, as opposed to running on a blank canvas. Sure it saves disk space and memory, but it defeats the purpose of the simulation...realism.
    EXACTLY!

MSTS will never compete with RS/RW/TS20XX for eye candy but the decent routes and route builders have really pushed the boundary. That takes time of course ....but I often wonder how folk who demand routes hundreds of miles long actually USE the Sim? In real time it's a couple of hours on average to cover 100 miles THREE or more on routes like Feather River! ....so how long do they actually drive the Sim? and do they drive it all in REAL time or "accelerate" sections .

BTW I forgot that apart from Activity Changer there's also "Activity Master" http://www.skylinecomputing.com/

That should sort out the missing consists and even enable using more state of the art stuff for the 2004 route?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

See my notes in bold.

Given the state of the rest of the stock, it might be best to swap since the rest of what you are looking for is no longer available.

At one point, between 3DTrains, Paul, and BLW, there was a fair amount of overlap between the three. Paul did have 525 and 529 available at one point as free downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrad1974 View Post

GMOE8A
    ATSFGP7 ​atsfzgp7.zip Might be the closest match here in the library
    SD40-2 SF 5142 & 5192 5142 has been pulled from the library
    C&IM 73 & 74
    CABCIM
    Wabash 1002A There is a freeware version here in the library - bluebird.zip. Previously available as freeware from Paul's site.
    SF 311 & 312 Appears SF312 has been pulled from the library
    GM&O1511
    GMO 525, 528, & 529
    GM&OF3B65 Previously available as freeware from Paul's site.
    GMO 724, 725, & 727
    GMO 919, 916, 925, 901, 905
    GMO 50 This is a part of the GM&O Springfield Switch route and was released with the route here, but has since been removed. IIRC it was also available at the now closed Mophouse.
    GM&O12
    GMOXferCab
    AT_P42#29, 31, & 32
    UP3445
    Wabash 607 & 627 #627 is Paul Fowler's, according to Obo's catalog. #607 is possibly also Paul's.

--James Bradley

> AT_P42#29, 31, & 32

Might those be 3DTrains, 3DTrainstuff (in a Cajon add-on pack, I think), or SLI? Also, the I believe the old NALW Amtrak Genesis pack (with at least one update) is still in the library here (P32DM, P40, P42) - numbers won't match, but they might be usable as substitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    > AT_P42#29, 31, & 32

Might those be 3DTrains, 3DTrainstuff (in a Cajon add-on pack, I think), or SLI?
    Negative. The road numbers above are too low.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    > AT_P42#29, 31, & 32

Might those be 3DTrains, 3DTrainstuff (in a Cajon add-on pack, I think), or SLI? Also, the I believe the old NALW Amtrak Genesis pack (with at least one update) is still in the library here (P32DM, P40, P42) - numbers won't match, but they might be usable as substitutes.

None of them belong to 3DTrains. I sent the list to Marc, and he said "no, they're not mine". All of his files begin with 3DTrains, and all of the stuff from 3DTrainStuff begins with 3DTS. StreamLines is the same, as all their stuff starts with SLI. Given the age of the files, I'm guessing that these were not standard payware items. They may have been offered at GMOSimulations at one point, but are no longer available. I'm thinking that most of these were freeware, but are also no longer available.