Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Island Rail Road Route uploaded @ 23:00 22Nov2016

Quote Originally Posted by ChiFan View Post
    So far I've been unable to install the LIRR. When trying to unzip using 7-Unzip on a Win7 system, I get "CRC failed: INSTALL_LIRR_BETA.exe". An unzipped file does appear in the folder but at a size of 515GB. When executing it, it appears to proceed normally until progress stops at about 50% with the display of an error message about Routes\LIRR\Textures\Snow\srv_bridges4m.ace containing invalid data (error 21FC). Some of the folders are unzipped but not all. World is missing.

I did download twice, and also tried unzipping on a Win10 using "Zip Opener". No change.

Has anyone been able to install successfully? If so, would you please post how you did it including what unzip program you used. Thanks.

Chuck R.
    Seems to me like the zip is corrupted while downloading.It may be your connection drops for a short moment before resuming, resulting in the download getting corrupted at some point. If its always the same file, then I'd suggest using a different zip program. I used Winrar (evaluation) with no issues.

Thank you Vince, for a job well done.

Happy Thanksgiving.
    Last edited by rrroberttt; 11-25-2016 at 02:34 AM. Reason: error

Hi Chuck,

The 503MB zip archive, lirr_install.zip that you downloaded from the trainsim.com File Library should extract four files to a folder the users directs it to.

Note:. Do not attempt to RUN Open Rails from an external USB attached disk drive. Poor performance.

FILE_ID.diz ..................................1 KB
    INSTALL_LIRR_BETA.exe ...........515,831 KB
    LIRR_READ_ME_FIRST.txt .........4 KB
    LIRR_TITLE.jpg ............................72 KB

You say your having problems running the executable installer? CRC errors?
    Chuck, that sound like a the Winzip extraction process is producing a corrupted installer though I don't have a clue as to why thats happening. Winzip is what I used to generate the zip archive that I uploaded to trainsim.com via FTP upload.
    Maybe run the installer as Administrator? Dunno', I'm easter egging here.

It installed clean as a whistle on my Windows 10 machine, my wife's Windows 7 HP G62 laptop and my sons AlienWare Windows 8 machine.

+Try directing the installer to install to the same folder you extracted the zip archive to.
    In addition to the above files you should end up with the folder contents shown in the pic below;
    A mystery as the installer apparently works for a few other folks and me on three different OS machines. ( this, I found amazing! )

Install Folder Contents.jpg

The Install Executable was generated by the ClickTeam Install Creator.

1. I just now downloaded the route ( the zip archive) to my desktop.

2. I then extracted the zip by double clicking on the zip archive and when it opened, directed it to extract into the folder you can see in this picture, the four files that are contained in the zip archive and listed above.

3. I then double clicked on the INSTALL_LIRR_BETA.exe file, answered the prompts, and directed the installer to install the route into the same folder as the installer I just double clicked on.

4. The installer began it's thing ran maybe 2 minutes (if you need exact timings ask) installing the NINE items shown in the attached picture of the folder.

5. I then started Open Rails, and on the Content Tab, set the path to the folder I just installed everything to, selected an activity and all okay.

One thing I have noticed I get much better performance if I re-boot my machine before running OR.

++ I have also directed the install to my desktop:
    Not a good idea as it scattered the nine items all over the desktop.
    ++ I also tried directing the installer into another folder on my system C:\Open Rails Mini Routes\LIRR produced a folder containing the nine item shown in the picture which ran fine in OR.
    ++ I even tried installing to the \Program Files (x86)\ folder and it worked fine there too.

And thanks for the kind words from all you others. I guess now it's time to make use of all that vintage LIRR rolling stock in the Library, Someone's got a beautiful DD-1 freight electric that's just aching to make a meat run from the Bay Ridge Car Float yards to the Flatbush Avenue meat houses.

All sidings and passenger platforms are marked so programs like Activity Master have plenty to work with.

Regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Hey Vince Great Job!! The scenery is great!

I just finished downloading the route and it is fantastic! Just took my first excursion via NYC RDC's on the Brooklyn - Hempstead activity.

Now after completing that act, I went to Route Righter to run it through and this was found. There were NO Errors! except for:

"WARNING - THE FOLLOWING FILES ARE MISSING FROM YOUR ROUTE - IT MAY NOT WORK WITHOUT THEM

D:\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Routes\LIRR\LIRR.rdb is missing from this route (If the route has no roads, then this does not matter)
    D:\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Routes\LIRR\LIRR.rit is missing from this route (If the route has no roads, then this does not matter)

No errors found..."

I did see roads, and crossings and cars on the roads (static) so the roads are there, I think??

I see that other routes have these two files, but they seem to be route specific, is that correct? I do not know about these things, so if it can be corrected, how do I do it? or where do I start? Are these only required for the Car Spawner?

Thanks for any assistance on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiFan View Post
    So far I've been unable to install the LIRR. When trying to unzip using 7-Unzip on a Win7 system, I get "CRC failed: INSTALL_LIRR_BETA.exe". ............snip................Chuck R.
    Hi Chuck,Here's a hex dump of the header from the INSTALL_LIRR_BETA.exe file.

LIRR Installer Header.jpg

Maybe this can shed light on the problem? Sorry but making the picture larger got be booted for too large a file.
    Any other info you need Chuck?

best regards,

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

Thank you.
    D:\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Routes\LIRR\LIRR.rdb is missing from this route (If the route has no roads, then this does not matter)
    There are no active roads in the route.
    I should have included the Route_Riter printout that I ran before distribution. Ahh,such is life.
    Sorry if I caused you confusion and I thank you for calling this to attention and sharing with the community. You just saved someone else from worrying about the same thing!

Please read the LIRR_ROUTE_DESCRIPTION.txt file for information on the route. The roads you see are all static objects.

best regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 11-23-2016 at 10:30 PM. Reason: add information & mea culpa

The first pic from my LIRR excursion:
    resized_Long Island 1_1704x819.jpg

Nice pic. Jay tower at the west end of the Jamaica Station.

Errr . . . If you ran that beautiful LIRR RDC, or ANY diesel into Brooklyn or New York Pennsylvania Station through their associated tunnels you'd go to jail!
    Diesels are strictly prohibited from using the tunnels except in an emergency. MU electric and DD-1 freight engines only.
    There was no freight traffic the NY Penn except maybe a rare light engine move.

Today the LIRR uses GP-38 as 'Protect' engines that ARE allowed in the tunnels to rescue a stranded electric.
    I'll venture the folks on the stranded electric are glad to smell a little diesel from the engine that is dragging them out of the tunnel.

Strangely enough, the NY City subway transit system uses what looks like a miniature or at the least a scaled down version of a geep for MOW operations. They run those engines in the tunnels and I do remember waiting at the Fulton St station in downtown NY City during afternoon rush hour on a crowded platform one of these engines come truckin' through dragging a couple of flat cars loaded with track panels. It DID throw some smoke into the station but it wasn't that bad. Kind of interesting though.

regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 11-24-2016 at 12:54 AM. Reason: add info

Vince, congratulations on a great piece of work. I'm only 2 hours into exploring and really impressed... and this is from a guy who spends 90% of his MSTS running time driving big freight trains through wide open spaces. Thank you for sharing it.
    Cheers!
    Pete

Thank you for that clarification, Vince.

So, Car Spawner will not function? No spawners on the roads?

I don't believe I have ever downloaded a route, freeware or payware that ran so perfectly straight out of the box! And even RR was happy!

Great job!