Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long Island Rail Road Route uploaded @ 23:00 22Nov2016

I don't have the "Cabs" set up for the MP54's yet, to the way I like them, that is the reason for the RDCs, they are great, maybe they have 3rd rail shoes??

Like someone else said, "It's MY railway, and I'll run it how I please". I just like running Gaetean's RDCs to inspect a new route.

I don't think the Budd RDC's were ever equipped for 3rd rail operation and I agree their cabs look great. Wasn't it the late 80's that the first Dual Mode engins came into use? Metro North uses them too but again I don't know when they came into use.

I know for a fact there are some beautiful new models around still unreleased of the MP-54's and the DD-1's I have pictures but won't post out of respect to the authors. Now now they have a nice route to run them.

Wish me luck as Monday I'm goin to resume construction on the Oyster Bay Division which in the current version of the route, ends at East Williston. You've all heard me preach about never to install track with Interactive Objects. Although I do have a copy of the route from just before I began the Siding, Platform and Speed Post install, I'm going to attempt to resume track installation by adding on to the the just released route . . . which is loaded with the aforementioned Interactives. We'll see how that shakes out.

So glad to hear word like 'worked out of the box', and 'Easiest install of any route I have'. Make me glad I spent the time to make it easy for the end user.
    That's what took me a week to sort out; Making a goof proof easy install. And thanks you to all members of the Train Sim Community! You have all contributed to this route. I could not have done it without you.
    And a big thanks to Forum owner Nels! Thanks for your patience with clueless users ( that's me trying to figure out FTP ) and for hosting the gigabytes of files is what holds this hobby together.
    And glad also that years ago I lobbied that any new simulator should make use of the thousands of models made for MSTS.

Why re-invent the wheel I said and BINGO! Open Rails does indeed make use of all these models despite the dire warnings that the 'old' shape files and textures will look 'terrible' in any new sim. Well these 'old' models look pretty good to me and apparently do to a lot of other folks too!

Best Regards and thanks to all,
    vince cockeram
    Lost Wages, Nevada USA
    Last edited by Vince; 11-24-2016 at 05:41 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Vince:

The RDC was basically a failure on the LIRR. Too many grade crossing incidents. That's why they didn't keep them. However, it has been said that they did experiment with pulling an RDC on the back of a train of electric MU cars, which, if true, may have been the only way an LIRR RDC may have have made it into Penn Station.

They also experimented with turbine-electric cars that looked somewhat like an M-1. That, too, was a flop.

Woot! Amazing route! Missing signals & moving cars but I aint complaining!

Performance wise:running at 5-10 fps with all settings on full

My inability to initially install the LIRR as posted above appears to be caused by downloading directly to a NAS. After starting over and downloading to an internal drive instead, the LIRR unzipped with 7-Zip without a problem and loaded up and runs great in OR as designed. Thanks to all for your feedback which sped up the troubleshooting process. Vince, it has been a long/long time but I do recall using hex dumps in trying to discover the truth.

In my view, a new standard has been set at the top for effort/craftsmanship/generosity. Well done Vince, and thanks so much for treating us so well with the LIRR.

Chuck R.
    "More railroads crossed each other more times in Chicago than anywhere else in America"
    Jon R. Roma, Trains Magazine, July 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    ....Strangely enough, the NY City subway transit system uses what looks like a miniature or at the least a scaled down version of a geep for MOW operations. They run those engines in the tunnels and I do remember waiting at the Fulton St station in downtown NY City during afternoon rush hour on a crowded platform one of these engines come truckin' through dragging a couple of flat cars loaded with track panels. It DID throw some smoke into the station but it wasn't that bad. Kind of interesting though.

regards,
    Vince,

I remember in the mid 1960's the NYC Transit Authority used to run the type of engine you described followed by an MOW passenger car and several gondolas. This train was run late night/early morning for trash collection. The train would pull into the station and several transit workers would run out of the passenger car, grab all the trash barrels, and dump them into the gondolas.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by joe_star View Post
    Woot! Amazing route! Missing signals & moving cars but I aint complaining!

Performance wise:running at 5-10 fps with all settings on full
    I am getting 30-45fps on an older i5 computer in Open Rails. I noticed a difference between the mini-install on "C" drive and the install in my MSTS SSD. One on the C drive was 20-25fps, on the SSD 31-45fps.