Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Snow Shots in OR

Default 2 Snow Shots in OR

Snow flakes seem to disappear before hitting the ground. Anyone else notice that?
    Are there any updates yet for snow textures, making the flakes smaller?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by qballbandit; 12-09-2016 at 01:58 PM.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Snow is one of the environment features I find really lacking with ORTS Neil. From trackside with a really low camera position it's debatable whether it hits the ground or not, but certainly from the cab the impression you get is that they stop a couple of feet above ground level. I've given up on it until such time as there's an improvement. If I want winter running now I choose clear weather and then dial the fog right up. I find it more realistic than the snowfall effect.
    Cheers!
    Pete

Correct: The snow does not hit the ground. Really detracts from the effect for me, too.

IMHO, enhanced (heavier snowfall) in MSTS is still much more immersive than the snow effects in OR.

There has not been much progress on the OR weather module in quite awhile, presumably because one of the programmers involved in that left the project. If I recall some earlier discussions, the snow intensity was locked at a fairly low point because it would really hammer frame rates on lower end computers at higher rates. Personally, I think that the intensity rate should be user selectable. As to snow not hitting the ground, that's a bug, in my opinion. I also agree that the flakes are too big. All that said, I'll take OR weather, with its ability to be dynamic in an activity, over MSTS weather.
    Last edited by wwhall; 12-10-2016 at 02:21 PM.

Howdy,

I've noticed that in OR, if you run an activity from a route that is installed in your MSTS folder some of you might be surprised as to how much of that Environment file OR uses. My findings are that the parts not used by OR are the world_sky textures... almost everything else is used. Now having said that, the snow intensity and speed can be altered in the ENV File found in these two lines...

world_precipitation
    (
    world_precipitation_type ( world_precipitation_type_snow )
    world_precipitation_density ( 10000 )
    world_precipitation_speed ( 15 )

I have found that raising the density too high causes the snow to stop at some point and the vehicles on the carspawners all become the same model ( go figure ).

This is also used by rainfall environs as well. I hope that some find this useful.

I'll take the MSTS weather over the current OR weather any day of the week!

Peter

PS... I have some awesome water textures thanks to the way OR uses the MSTS ENV File.

I do run all of my routes from my main MSTS install, routes folder. I cant say I ever noticed what you mention above, but never paid close attention to it - thinking everything I see is driven from the OR weather.
    Neil

I've no doubt that one day OR's weather/environment will be superb, but for right now I too prefer MSTS weather, especially night textures. I find the night texture in OR almost ridiculous looking, and as a consequence never run night activities in OR at all.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by peterman View Post
    Howdy,

I've noticed that in OR, if you run an activity from a route that is installed in your MSTS folder some of you might be surprised as to how much of that Environment file OR uses. My findings are that the parts not used by OR are the world_sky textures... almost everything else is used. Now having said that, the snow intensity and speed can be altered in the ENV File found in these two lines...

world_precipitation
    (
    world_precipitation_type ( world_precipitation_type_snow )
    world_precipitation_density ( 10000 )
    world_precipitation_speed ( 15 )

I have found that raising the density too high causes the snow to stop at some point and the vehicles on the carspawners all become the same model ( go figure ).

This is also used by rainfall environs as well. I hope that some find this useful.

I'll take the MSTS weather over the current OR weather any day of the week!

Peter

PS... I have some awesome water textures thanks to the way OR uses the MSTS ENV File.
    I experimented with the settings suggested and I could see no difference in snow intensity beyond what one can already adjust in OR. Does the "Use MSTS Environments" have to be checked to make this work? I don't use that because the MSTS skies (especially the Kosmos ones, etc.) just don't render right in OR.

The OR weather module is far from perfect, but I'll put up with that to enjoy all the other benefits of OR over MSTS.

I also don't find a lot of the night textures in OR "ridiculous looking." I think OR handles night pretty well:
    Open Rails 2016-12-11 10-36-10.jpg
    Last edited by wwhall; 12-11-2016 at 10:42 PM.

If you download the sky textures I uploaded here in the library, the "ridiculous" night textures aren't nearly as bad.

https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

I too think night running looks decent in OR, aside from the stars, and I just pump up the cloud coverage and fog to remedy that.
    Neil