Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running On A Tiny Tablet!

I do believe this "last version of Windows" is where Microsoft also jumps off the backwards compatibility bandwagon, too. Apple has such a head start with the new, restricted business model, who knows if Microsoft can even make up the ground, financially, given its lag.

OR will never be *fully* compatible with MSTS. Nor does it really really really need to be. It is as close as its going to get, right now. Consider it advanced, but 95% compatible. It is done with meeting its compatibility obligations, and need not worry about that anymore.

Multiple development threads is too much distraction for an all-volunteer effort. More reasonable to expect MSTS compatibles to simply stay below a certain version of OR, whatever that version may end up being, with the rest who are capable of leaving the .S file behind moving on to the newer OR versions.

And while I agree that the freeware library has made MSTS what it was, I have said before its simply not going to play as integral of a part in OR's future. I truly expect OR to morph into more of a smaller system primarily relying upon a handful of third party developers, too. Sure there will be more freeware-supplied options than the other sims, but nothing will ever touch the popularity of freeware libraries under MSTS again. The "space" is just too crowded and fragmented with options now, many of them better, albeit closed, options if you have the hardware. Nels is still waiting on 'enough' OR-specific library content to warrant the creation of OR library categories, and that 'enough' is never coming.

10-4 on the Linux comments.
    Last edited by geepster775; 12-14-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Why yes, Goeff, mommy and daddy are going to stay together 4ever! Keep telling yourself that from the safety of your bedroom.
    Well actually my "mommy and daddy" did stay together until they died over 40 years ago now. I'm sorry that you SEEM to have some issues with divorce?

What good is refining aircraft and locomotive designs when the Z-train is going to be made obsolete by home package delivery drones?
    If you'd read my post properly you'd have understood that my reference was to REAL WORLD practice with REAL aircraft and locomotives ....a matter of historical record.

That's the level these other sims are reaching for. And the dysfunctional 'dragging' marriage of MSTS and ORTS is still worried about refining trusted locomotive designs. The others have 'gone drone', so ORTS had better cut that boat anchor from its leg chain pretty soon. lol
    An interesting analogy being as Drone Delivery is still a stupid publicity stunt by Amazon?!

Frankly I fail to see why ANYONE would see MSTS compatibility at some level or other is somehow an "Albatross around the neck of OR development"

IF OR developers deliver ALL that MSTS achieved, and BTW that other newer Sims are STILL to achieve, then at that time such compatibility will become less and less relevant.

Quite why this seems to make you SO bitter and twisted is frankly beyond me. These are HOBBY Sims? NOT life and death. I've a thick skin but you might want to reconsider the first part of your post as there may be youngsters on this forum that your comments might have upset.

This was about Tablets ....so I'm done on the topic.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    This was about Tablets

Yes, indeed, until a couple of you were found trying to build a bonfire to the merits of running simulators on crappy hardware. Thank heavens somebody had the common sense to come in and stomp that infant bonfire out.

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post

Frankly I fail to see why ANYONE would see MSTS compatibility at some level or other is somehow an Albatross

Think of it more as an analysis of what is left to be gained from the MSTS-ORTS relationship. New recruits among the 5% who still run MSTS exclusively? Odds are low that they patronize the vendors or provide technical help to the community so they don't represent all that great of shot in the arm to the "open rails economy" anyway. We already have one vendor who will not provide club access unless you contribute adequately to the economy beforehand. The wave of the future?
    Last edited by geepster775; 12-15-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Re. the tablet: having proven that it works (poorly) and having a failed OR update wipe out the installation, I didn't bother trying to reinstall. Took too much space for how (not) well it worked (moving from proof of concept to is it practical), and I have adequate alternatives in the laptop and desktop. So that's over with.

Re. MSTS compatibility and where this is going: OR is not a piece of commercial software, so there's little incentive to drive potential users away by messing with MSTS compatibility while moving the quality of the sim forward. Yes, as time goes on, some things will not be "what MSTS was" any more (timetable mode is already well beyond traditional MSTS activities, though it works on MSTS routes with MSTS trains). And a few trains are appearing that have so much detail that they won't work in MSTS any more. So far, not many, but some. That'll continue, and note that so far at least using a OR-only locomotive doesn't prevent you from hauling MSTS cars behind it, on a MSTS-based route; the mix-and-match is a good thing.

One thing I *have* seen is a fair number of obvious newbies (or trolls, in some cases?) in the fora who approach OR and MSTS as modern commercial programs where everything is done for you, then drive the old heads crazy with their questions which make it obvious that they don't want to fiddle with things to make them work (as most of us are used to). Many of them, IMO, would be better off with one of the commercial simulators that they can just run as a game, but they may not want to spend the money. My experience is that you pay for software one way or another: money, your own time, or sometimes both. Others might be convinced to figure out how things work, and in the process learn how to make some contribution to the hobby. ORTS' relationship to MSTS might be causing a problem for them now due to the need to fiddle with things, but that will improve and some utilities for managing and fixing the olde stuff might be updated to make it easier for those who need it to "just work." In all, though, I see no need (yet, at least) to draw a line in the sand and say "this far, for MSTS compatibility, but no farther."

Mike I'm with you 100% on MSTS compatibility and I think you've hit the nail on the head with some of the newcomers (or should that be latecomers) to MSTS.

There's always been a section of society as a whole who are obsessed with "The New". Usually, but not exclusively, these are folk who are all too ready to ignore what they have around them because their self proclaimed expertise lies only in being the FIRST to loudly regurgitate all the hype around "The latest" which is of course only the hype of the marketing sector . As you get older you forget so much more silly hype and failed to deliver projects than the real benefits that actually come to fruition ....but those obsessed with THE NEW will never listen.

The commercial world in any sector, including games and simulators relies on these individuals to spread their marketing message. Look at ANY forum and the Fanbois post uncritical praise upon praise of the new and rabidly attack anyone who dares to post a considered or informed or (even worse) experienced view that doesn't support their sycophantic gushing's.

That, like it or not, will always be with us ....but what really saddens me is that their often spoon fed mentality means that they miss a whole area of Simulation that has made it such an enduring hobby. They miss the creativity and discussion about how to move things forward. Their blinkered attitude to critical discussion shows that they don't understand that nothing moves forward without critical analysis of where we're at and how we got there? Nothing, ever was improved by sycophantic praise . Stuff develops because folk say "Well that's OK as far as it goes ....but wouldn't it be better if it did X Y and Z too?

I studied design at College nearly 5 decades ago now. You learn to improve your work by constant review of it by your fellow students and tutors. Often harsh criticism, but often constructive criticism. However most projects involve starting with where we're at and trying to improve or move that forward. Few, if any, involve starting at square one.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK