Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Beta

Default Not Beta

It is not a Beta, IMO it is Alpha and very disappointing. It has a lot of kiddie stuff like get on the train, open the door, sit in the seat. Obviously not meant for serious train simmers.

Is this the same simulator/game that has the "Beta" CSX route (if that is what you call it in TSW)?
    If so, the players interactive capabilities with the SD40-2 are excellent. What I mean is, full operational control in terms of a cold engine start, the ability to "walk" the engine front to back (though it looked more like a sprint than a walk, hopefully you can control your walking speed), etc., all working panels and controls in the cab, etc. The scenery looked great.
    Buuuuut.....when the guy doing the video had the train ready to go, he just took off like a bat out of hell. No waiting after releasing the brakes, and 0-30mph like driving a car. Now that sucks, and hope that even an attempt to simulate real train handling physics is still on deck.
    If not, it's a sure waste of great functionality and graphics quality.

If I have the wrong simulator/game, I do apologize.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

You got the right one, but some people insist on having to down play it. You like it, I like it but some others do not. To each their own eh?
    Bob Artim
    Owner of Railworks America
    6th gen i7 [email protected] - 16 gig ram - nVidia 970 with 4 gig - 5Tb of HDDs - Water cooled - Win 10 - Dual Samsung S24D390 HD monitors

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    ..when the guy doing the video had the train ready to go, he just took off like a bat out of hell. No waiting after releasing the brakes, and 0-30mph like driving a car. Now that sucks, and hope that even an attempt to simulate real train handling physics is still on deck.
    Yeah, I was hoping that was maybe a glitch in the video when the train took off.
    HP ENVY x360 m6
    Windows 10 Home
    Process: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50 GHz 2.71 GHz
    RAM: 12.00 GB 64 bit

Here's one of the better videos of TSW. Give it a chance, The team is working hard to get things right.
    https://youtu.be/kVuIVc6pYIs?t=6
    Interested in all Train-Sims

Watching some of these videos makes me dizzy the way some of these amateur youtubers spin that camera around while banging their shins of inexperience. But that's what the youtube economy is all about, right?, making rock stars out of everyday boobs who run fund-me campaigns for others to buy them that new gaming headset?

Lots of gadgets and knobs to explore, but I can't help think I would get quite bored performing these micro-tasks after awhile. There is a newness factor that draws interest at the beginning, but a year down the road and 100 repeats of the same scenario later, will it still be cool?

And of course, everything you want to do being activated through the 'sniper scope' (a holdover from Unreal engine shootem-up or carjacking games?) seems a little out of place. And the little marker that tells you how far to the end of the scenario reminds me of the car racing games where the same little roving marker reports how far behind the leader you are. Sometimes mimicking what the rest of the gaming world is doing doesn't quite fit. I am left with feeling it has crossed the threshold into 'one of the many' territory.

The rolling stock assets in this game sure do beat the shite out of Run8's offerings. Run8 has got the physics and avoids the sniper scope stuff, but has never been in more dire need of some competition in the area of rolling stock and scenery. Hopefully this will force a clean up of the deficiencies.

Everything has keyboard commands just like TS20xx. You are not forced to use the mouse.
    Bob Artim
    Owner of Railworks America
    6th gen i7 [email protected] - 16 gig ram - nVidia 970 with 4 gig - 5Tb of HDDs - Water cooled - Win 10 - Dual Samsung S24D390 HD monitors

The interaction outside the train is one of the things I enjoy in World Of Subways. Although I haven't played the TSW beta, IMHO provided DTG don't neglect the core elements of the sim (correct operations and physics etc. plus our sandbox) then I haven't got a problem with a few extra gameplay features. DTG having to tread a fine line between catering for the hardcore simmer and the more casual gamer, to ensure a wide enough user base the thing makes them some money!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    ....Run8 has got the physics and avoids the sniper scope stuff, but has never been in more dire need of some competition in the area of rolling stock and scenery. Hopefully this will force a clean up of the deficiencies.
    Do you actually have and use Run 8, by any chance?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

"Lots of gadgets and knobs to explore, but I can't help think I would get quite bored performing these micro-tasks after awhile."

Not on this end. I still to this day fly the Level-D 767 in my FS2004/FS9, which if you are not familiar with what it takes to start, run, and fly an airliner - there are pages of checklists to get your "fully interactive functional cockpit" with overhead panel/center console/Flight Instruments/FMC, etc., through all phases of start-up, run-up, taxi, takeoff, cruise, landing, shutdown. One of the things about enjoying simulators, is....well, simulating!
    May not be everyone's cup of tea, I understand, but I would never get tired of performing the same chores in my favorite locos.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.