Thread: WARNING! Shape Viewer 2.5

Default WARNING! Shape Viewer 2.5

I just posted this on the ConBuilder Support Forum after helping a couple of ConBuilder users with their install of Shape Viewer. Decided to post it here also.

Attention anyone setting up a new PC or a new hard disk:

DO NOT use this file from the Train-Sim library to reinstall Shape Viewer:
    MSTS Shape File Viewer v2.5
    Name: shapefileviewer25.zip
    Size: 4,812,105 Date: 01-02-2016 Downloads: 582
    MSTS Shape File Viewer v2.5. An update for the Paul Gausden Shape Viewer v2.2 with new HD grass, new HD grid, and 3DTrains. com ScaleRail TC_DisplayBase. Registry file included. By Natsumi.

Why? For one it is NOT an official release. Second it is NOT an upgrade of Shape Viewer from version 2.2.237. But the most important is, it is not an installer and, although the Visual Basic DLL files used by Shape Viewer are included in the ZIP, the DLL files do not get registered in the Windows registry. This results in Visual Basic error when you try to run it.

Instead get this file from the T-S file library:

MSTS Shape Viewer 2.2.237
    Name: sview22.zip
    Size: 3,203,784 Date: 04-10-2008 Downloads: 7,234
    MSTS Shape Viewer 2.2.237. A viewer for MSTS and TRS Model files. Mostly bug fixes and a few extra keyboard controls. Uninstall any previous versions first. See readme.txt for info on changes. By Paul Gausden
    Charles

I saw the *.reg file and thought "What the heck?" Nice catch, Charles.

Though, I don't have an issue with the use of ScaleRail in this case, as my license.txt was used.
    3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    I saw the *.reg file and thought "What the heck?" Nice catch, Charles.

Though, I don't have an issue with the use of ScaleRail in this case, as my license.txt was used.
    The problem is this "Natsumi" who pretends to have created SV 2.5 does not include instructions as to how & where to use the REG file. The download works fine when installed over a SV 2.2.237 installation, but placed on a new PC or new HD by someone that does not know what to do with the REG file just causes problems.
    Charles

I don't agree with you. I recommend using 2.5 because 'it is not an installer'. Windows installers are the worst in software development history. With ZIP archive and REG file, you clearly see what this software does with your system and it is easy to revert the changes.
    Last edited by Nels_Anderson; 01-02-2017 at 01:22 PM.