Thread: Run8 v2 'Dynamic' Shadows

Cool Run8 v2 'Dynamic' Shadows

I just have a few observations about Run8 v2, maybe these can be shared with the creators, for possible future updates, ( this is not a complaint!), with that said I really enjoy Run8, and I was wondering how more realistic looking it would be to have 'shadows' for all the world items. ( buildings-trains-trees-ect ). Like i said, this is just a observation. Tim

IF, dynamic shadows would decrease frame rates and cause my laptop to work harder, i don't want them..........

Shadows have been talked about before, years ago, and they are complicated to program and do tax your system greatly. I have heard that DirectX12 has the capability to render them efficiently so we may see them in the future but for now there are many other things that are higher on the priority list. Yes, they would add to the realism and to more folks that ask for it will drive the demand but I think it will be a while before we see them.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

Quote Originally Posted by dab1068 View Post
    ..... I think it will be a while before we see them.
    Good.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

No shadows. If anything, spend the time by adding urban scenery, especially around Bakersfield, so long as it doesn't significantly impact the current frame rates and the 'smooth as silk' rolling of trains.