Thread: Rigid Coupling and the Turnout

Default Rigid Coupling and the Turnout

I am running MSTS BIN 1.8 on a Windows 7 system.
    My train consists of A BNSF GP38, a BNSF SD40-2, another BNSF (ATSF) SD40-2, a GN GP30, a BN SD40-2, a NS SD40-2, and a CN SD40-2 with a unit coal train in which ALL the cars have the rigid coupling statement.
    I drove it over a trailing point switch and the rear portion of the train did the whip effect or it "jumped or snapped" to the other rail just like in TRAINZ where the rear of each railway vehicle will snap to the other rail of a trailing point switch set against the train.
    IN MSTS, THE WHOLE TRAIN SNAPS TO THE OTHER RAIL!
    Unfortunately, I was passing a siding that was shorter than the train and you know the rest....... The rear portion separated and the rear of the front half snapped to the other rail and you know...... Alert! Activity over coupler broken.
    How do I fix this problem and why does it happen?
    LONG LIVE BNSF 8010!
    ALL HAIL MSTS!

Remove the rigid coupler line. It happens because MSTS sees a train with rigid couplings as a single rigid unit when the locomotive and the rest of the train are on different tracks and moving through a trailing switch.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Open rails does not have this problem.
    LONG LIVE BNSF 8010!
    ALL HAIL MSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by TrainMaster8010 View Post
    Open rails does not have this problem.
    Wanna bet !?.... happened to me two days ago !

Quote Originally Posted by peterman View Post
    Wanna bet !?.... happened to me two days ago !
    Can you duplicate it and pm me with an OR log, consist makeup, and what coupler settings you are using for the engines and wagons. I'm doing some testing and would be interested in your data.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Can you duplicate it and pm me with an OR log, consist makeup, and what coupler settings you are using for the engines and wagons. I'm doing some testing and would be interested in your data.
    Gerry... Sorry about the delay, I just saw your post. It's like Baldwin says in post #2, but it's in OR not MSTS. Can I duplicate it?.... probably, but it's 4 hours into a tedious activity so it's not likely that I'll be running it again soon... but here's the basics :

3 CSX C40-8 - all have CouplingHasRigidConnection ( 1 )
    68 mixed freight - some have CouplingHasRigidConnection ( 1 ) , some don't
    Location - main yard
    Train movement - reversing from track 1 south to track 4 north ( involves 7 switches ) in manual mode
    Build - X3753
    Probable cause - running a closed switch

If I'm not mistaken, previous versions would go into emergency braking and give you a misaligned switch notice in the track monitor, this one says to heck with that... snap that train onto that track ( actually jumped two tracks ). I had another incident of that in the 6th hour of that activity... I reversed through a closed switch and the train snapped over to the other track and then took off at 150mph.

I know this is not what you're looking for, but maybe it'll jog something.

Sorry about rambling on about an OR issue in a MSTS forum
    Peter

Snapping to the other track is an old issue that had been fixed. Are you running the stable 1.0 or experimental/regular releases?

Peter, thank you for the details but that doesn't fit what I'm looking at.

I see from your post that you were running 3753 when the "track jumping" happened. Like eolesen said, I think that has been addressed, although I cannot find the reference, or the build number of the fix.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 01-20-2017 at 03:00 AM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Snapping to the other track is an old issue that had been fixed. Are you running the stable 1.0 or experimental/regular releases?
    I'm running the experimental/regular releases. I know that it is an old issue that has been remedied.... so why is it back?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peterman View Post
    I'm running the experimental/regular releases. I know that it is an old issue that has been remedied.... so why is it back?Peter
    I don't know - could be a special case that was overlooked.

Neither will the OR team know unless&until someone brings up the issue with supporting evidence:
    1. Complete OR log
    2. Supporting Screenshots
    3. Explanation of how/when it happens - including, route or routes, rolling stock, and any other information germane to the problem
    4. Bug Report is officially reported

All users participate in this open source project to create a state of the art train simulator - you can help by providing the above information.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 01-20-2017 at 04:59 PM.