Thread: CSX(CSAO)-USN Modern Activity for the Blue Comet Route

Default CSX(CSAO)-USN Modern Activity for the Blue Comet Route

I should have this activity uploaded into the file library here by this weekend (01/21/2017) It is a assemble, switching & hauling activity for Steve Durham's Blue Comet Lines route. It is based on actual events from 2003 - 2005 with Conrail Shared Assets (CSAO , Report Mark CRCX) & the US Navy. A brief history about it below.

It is based on the contaminated soil cleanup at NAS Lakehurst at the old BOMARC Missile Site that was decommissioned 1972 in Lakehurst - New Egypt, NJ. Almost all the extremely contaminated soil and refuse were transported by rail for this "Superfund" project back in the early 2000's.

NAS Lakehurst is now known as Joint Base McGuire–Dix–Lakehurst after 2005's military base alignment in the USA. Yes, the NAS famous for the Hindenburg Disaster back in 1937. The two missile sites, one for the 1st generation BOMARC IM-99A missiles & the other for the upgraded BOMARC IM-99B missiles were intact for years after decommission sans the missiles. In the 1995 following many underground well contamination issues, studies were performed & was declaired a "Superfund" site around 2000.

To move large quanitities of the contaminated & non-contaminated soil & pieces of the old missile sites, the US Navy with the help of Conrail Shared Assets (Conrail was broken up between the NS & CSX by then) in 2003 reactivated the old spur on the ex-CNJ Southern Division now CSAO Southern Secondary at Lakehurst. For 2 years many of these trains transported the bi-products of the Cold War.

They also paved 2.5 miles of old tank trail for trucks & extended the airfield spur to the BOMARC sites which bought them into Lakehurst & New Egypt. After the cleanup, the temporary extention of the rail spur inside the base was dismantled, though the base spur from the Southern Secondary still exist. Tracks into the base still cross Ridgeway Blvd & Ocean County Route 547. Tracks into the base end about 1/8 of a mile inside the south gate on Rt 547 & end along the access road not near any of the base's infrastructure.

A few screen shots below of the activity at work.

Assembling cars for NAS Lakehurst @ South Lakewood Near The Old Glidden Site.

Pulling Into Lakehurst Ready To Perform The Reverse Move Into NAS Lakehurst

Setting Trash Cars @ Siding #1 Inside NSA Lakehurst.

Picking Up Consist On The Airfield Siding To Bring To Browns Yard in Sayreville, NJ.

After Having Engine Problems While Underway, You Lash Up To CSX #7562 @ Red Bank For The Rest Of The Trip.

Crossing The Navesink River On Our Way Up To Sayreville

If you like a little bit of assembling, a little bit of switching & a little bit of running.. I think you might like this one. Enjoy.
    - Mark -

Thank you, Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Thank you, Mark!
    Thanks Christopher. It will be uploaded tomorrow night on here. Just a little fine tuning to go then packaging it up.
    - Mark -

Just a head's up for a bit of a delay in uploading this activity. My main PC had one of those dreaded Microsoft W10 updates go south on me. I thought I did have complete control of my PC when I built it last August. But my lame head, I forgot to adjust the registry when I installed the OS. So with the bad update install my MSTS got corrupt, with all my separated route editors on my desktop and of course Route Riter, Yardmaster, etc.

Got it all fixed finally expect for Yardmaster which is giving me the dreaded "Launch4j" error. I did swap out some of the rolling stock so now the activity is only one set of Payware from Tiger Trains. My son is doing the beta testing now (Of course with the required pizza & 6-pack dad had to buy.. Standard Payment ) . So being that it is going to be a long night for me. Working on the readme and such and it will be uploaded later this morning to the library here.

Here are few shots with the swapped out trash cars. A more fitting look to the one's used during the prototypical runs. Again.... sorry for the delay.... &#%! MICROSOFT !!!

- Mark -

Is it possible to include a version with the extra cars from Tiger Trains? I may have them and would like as prototypical as possible. And to run them.

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Is it possible to include a version with the extra cars from Tiger Trains? I may have them and would like as prototypical as possible. And to run them.
    I did Chris. I swapped them out for the Tiger Trains 89' container flats. Plus it reduces the payware needed to run it & make it prototypical. All the other downloads are from here and Dekosoft (Freeware), KLW & Train Simulations (Freeware).

I just uploaded it a few minutes ago. It should be available in the next day.
    - Mark -

Mark, do I detect aNavy background? There are some of us with Navy ties here at trains sim!

Quote Originally Posted by oakpalms View Post
    Mark, do I detect aNavy background? There are some of us with Navy ties here at trains sim!
    Not me, but my dad was a "Squid" . Served 6 years then 8 in the reserve. Also served in Korean & was proud (And he said lucky) that he got to serve his tour on his home state ship, The USS New Jersey (BB-62) . Me I took the Civil Service approach, was a volunteer fireman with 2 departments & a state agency for over 20 years.
    - Mark -