Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random horn when aliasing

Question Random horn when aliasing

Hi,
    I am trying to use existing .sms files as templates so I can change horns to fit each road name. The problem is that the horn that plays is not the one that I specified, or even the one from the original .sms file. It is some random horn that I don't even have in my trains directory. This is the first time I've encountered this problem. I must be missing something basic, any ideas?

Thanks,
    Paul

After creating your new files, (which I assume you simply copy/paste/rename to create them?), then changing the horn for a specific set of engines, are you sure you are changing all entries for the horn in the .sms files (cab & eng)? There are often more than one entry in the .sms file for horns.
    Just a thought.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Hi Paul,
    Here's another thought - for a horn to sound, it MUST be in your PC somewhere, depending on how you set up its path in the .sms file you're testing.

Cheers,
    Ged

Neil,
    Yes, I am aware of multiple entries in the .sms files, and each one is changed.

Ged,
    I am taking the horn I want to use and placing it in the same folder as the .sms, so I should be able to just put the filename into the quotations, right? The original .sms works as it should. It is an SLI .sms file, could that be creating complications?

Hi Paul,
    You are correct - if just the .wav file name is entered like this :
    Triggers ( 2
    Discrete_Trigger ( 8 StartLoopRelease ( 1 File ( "x_d9_horn1.wav" -1 ) SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) &nbsp )
    Discrete_Trigger ( 9 ReleaseLoopReleaseWithJump () &nbsp
    )
    it should find the file in the same folder as the .sms file.

The fact of it being an SLI sms file shouldn't make any difference - just make sure that the .sms file is in the same folder

Another point worth considering is which Scalability Group your sound is in - if it's in 5, it will only be heard when the MSTS Quantity of Sounds is set to HIGH, Scalability Group 3 will be heard at settings MEDIUM and HIGH and Scalability Group 1 will be heard whatever the setting.

Finally, make sure the Streams value is correct for the number of streams in the Scalability Group. If the number is one short and your sound is the last one, it won't be heard - I don't think MSTS complains, but Open Rails will put a message on its log.

BUT, all this doesn't explain why you hear a horn which doesn't exist!!??

Cheers,
    Ged

Last edited by slipperman; 01-23-2017 at 05:49 PM.

For these .sms files, there is one scalability group, which is 0. Quantity of sounds is all the way up, and I run in ORTS. It is ONLY the horn that I'm changing between the files. I have tried to put different horns into the original file, just to test it out, and it does the same thing. Sounds ARE played, just not the right ones. When I put the original back in, it goes back to normal. You are very right good sir, it does NOTHING to explain what is happening here. I can however freely modify and mix match all kinds of stuff into the freeware .sms files I have without any problems. I'm thinking that I might have to wait until I buy the proper trainsets from SLI here soon.

Hi Paul,
    I could be wrong, but I thought Scalability Group ( 0 ) was only for AI locos. Are you sure you're modifying the correct .sms file?

Cheers,
    Ged

You are correct, Ged.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Not really folks, many SLI .sms files for the player engines only contain Scalability 0 . I noticed this on many Amtrak engines, don't know why it was done that way .
    Jim

Hi Jim
    I've got a few SLI products and have just checked the UP Engine Pack and you are correct! You live and learn something every day!!

I always thought it was hard-coded into MSTS that ScalabilityGroup ( 0 ) was for non-Player locos. Could it be something that the Bin patch changed?

@Paul : In the light of this information, maybe it'd be better if you posted your modified .sms file, or, at least told us its original name.

Cheers,
    Ged