Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CP 990 - Oil train storage run

Default CP 990 - Oil train storage run

Finally got this Open Rails demonstration activity for the Mactier route finished and out to testers. It is strong on new Open Rails features. Jumping between control cockpits, commanding multiple AI trains for brief spells, dispatcher screen interaction, connecting hoses and pumping air 'the real way', tightly timed sprints interlaced with lulls required to do switching work, and loaded with AI. Beta testing has surfaced one possible issue with Open Rails that need to be chased down before wide release. It also shows some areas of improvement in existing commercial rolling stock lighting, smoke, and air flow physics that vendors or developers need to address.

I am looking for more testers who have the required payware packs (need all, to control physics variables no stock substitutions allowed) and who have older CPUs (second or third generation, dual core, i3, or i5 CPUs). PM me an email addy and your system specs if interested. If I think you are a proper fit, I will send the packet.

Requires:

SLI Mactier route
    SLI Mactier equipment pack + patch
    SLI Mactier Gevo pack
    SLI CP SD40-2 Sulphur Train pack
    SLI CSX Rock Runner pack

Train CP 990 is a train of empty oil tankers destined for temporary storage on the Barrie-Collingwood Railway. Crew is aboard and will depart after the grain train pulls in and inbound grainer crew dismounts and humps it over to the office.

Going in at Bala to meet a hotshot.

Departing Bala

Coming past empty Buckskin siding, the crew is informed by the RTC that a northbound train has lost an engine and will need the northward facing unit in my consist as their new leader.

Power swap is to happen at the north end of Medonte siding. Train 990 stops short of the siding on the single main and waits for the troubled train to arrive. As a non-revenue train that was to arrive first, the RTC had planned for us to take the siding. Instead, 990 holds out and waits.

I jump over to, and take control of, the oncoming AI train. The lead GE is dead, and the trailing leaser will need help for the cross-country trek.

As the AI is moving downgrade, it becomes a challenge to bring it to an easy controlled stop with only dynamics from the trailing unit available.

I will soon stop the AI train, providing sufficient headroom to allow for the power swap.

Jumping back over to the 990, I cut the power off and pull across the road crossing, stopping before the interlocking.

I stop, cut off my third unit, CP 5909, and pull the lead pair of units from 990 into the siding.

Over to the ailing AI train, and cut its power away, so it can proceed forward and couple up to the CP 5909.

Once coupled up and MU cables and hoses connected, the crew moves to the CP 5909 and cuts in the controls.

Now with a 3 banger on the AI, I am backing up the Turd GE sandwich to re-coupling with the AI train.

Now back over to the 990, and I am backing up my two remaining units to a re-coupling with my tanker train.

15:54, I have connected the lead tankers brake hose, and opened the angle cock on the trailing unit, and I now have 4 pounds (and climbing) in the brake pipe.

15:57, now up to 32 pounds in the brake pipe.

16:01, brake pipe is up to 80, and brakes are starting to release. Took a little over 7 minutes to recover the air.

16:03, train 990 is on the pull again, preparing to pass right through the siding.

I jump back over the CP 5909 on the AI train as the 990 is passing through via the siding. I need to restore automatic mode on this AI in order for it to continue on its automated way.

Train 990 struggles a bit in its now-underpowered state for the next dozen miles, until the hill climbing subsides.

Since I was delayed for the power swap, the RTC had decided to let a work train out to get some time on the single track. At north end Craighurst, I receive an approach, as the work train has not yet gotten in the clear.

Work train is caboose-first, shoving back at a blazing 10 mph.

Work train eases to a stop alongside the 990

990 finally on the move again with a high green.

In the siding at Essa, waiting for CP offices to establish coordination with the BCRY. While waiting, an autorack AI train passes by.

After arriving at the BCRY interchange, the BCRY GP9 had tied onto my rear end.

BCRY pulls.

CP pushes.

Movement eases to a stop, as CP 6-axles can't go around that curve. After stopping, the CP power cuts off.

990's power slides over and grabs the 5 outbound cars headed for the CP network.

Since the outbound train is light, the trailing SD40 is shut down for fuel conservation reasons.

Approaching Alliston, where 990 will stop to pick up a repaired well car that was given a wheel change-out. The car came out of Vaughn terminal with a handbrake errantly applied, resulting in flat spots.

Crew crawls by the car awaiting pickup, doing a quickie inspection.

Well car now added to the 990.

Back up to track speed and passing a yard job drilling the automotive yard at Spence.

Exhaust plume from one unit only.

Passing a local occupying the Bolton siding as it works the Mars Canada facility.

Pink skies and high-rises.

I had tried to get an over/under scene with a moving CN train on the Halton Sub, but I had to give up and pull it from the activity. Problem was the linear footage of CN track was NOT LONG ENOUGH to establish a long, slow moving AI train that could occupy that track for an extended period, depending upon how efficient the player was at arriving on time. Route builders, take note, give us adequate track so we may use these "scenery items" as actual usable track in activities.

Going in the double track 'hole' in the Toronto burbs.

Meeting the last AI train in the activity.

Great shots of running acts in the Big Smoke! Good old CP rail is still running without HH at the helm.
    Rory

quick question, how do you turn off engines in OR?