Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why you are using MSTS RE instead of TSRE?

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    Last minute suggestion. Hope it's not to late.
    I would be great to be able to pick an item from another route and place it in the route you're building.
    Maybe an import window that would allow you to browse your route folder, view the .s file (similar to sviewer), and select/import the necessary files so you can place it in your route.
    I realize that's asking a lot but how cool would that be.

Randy
    So am I correct in thinking TSRE still needs you to use Router Riter (or the manual method) to copy in assets from another route?
    Vern.

TSRE has a template route and a basic ref file. Anything else you want will still need to be copied in to your route and the ref file edited to match. The method used is up to the user.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

To be honest, I would like to see a way done to remove the need for a .ref file.. There's so much I want/need to do for some routes with editing, such as the PRR ER which the TSRE can handle without crashing often, unlike the MSTS RE; but can't due to the fact that the 'easiest' way to get a shape placed is to go halfway across the route, copy it, and go back to the point you want and paste it there due to the fact the authors of the PRR ER decided to botch the .ref file to prevent modification of the route...

Komachi, I don't think it's fair to assume intentions. I have used MSTS Route Editor to add some stations to PRR East that were listed in 1950s timetables so I could make activities that match the timetables. I've copied and pasted items, and I've added them using the placement tool, and my computer is 9 years old. Or are you talking about some other difficulty? I do find the .ref files in general a little awkward, but I've at least gotten used to them.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

"I thought this hobby learned its lesson from becoming dependent upon closed software whose authors variably vanish and fail to support evolution of their product as operating systems change." PXSE, that's harsh. The bulk of MSTS material over the past 16 years was added by people who generously made it for free. Most of it is way better than anything I could do. Where would I be without X-tracks, Bin, Route-Riter and scads of other things that people made, not to mention trains, routes, structures and countless other things? All of them were made by people who presumably had other things in life to deal with: families, jobs, illness. Some of them died. If we were stuck with what came in the original box, how many of us would have been using Train Simulator a year later? Instead, people saw its possibilities and pounced on them and created a thousand times more than what we paid for, and 16 years later we are still enjoying Train Simulator, and people are still creating, trains, routes, structures, and tools. Thanks to all of them.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Komachi View Post
    To be honest, I would like to see a way done to remove the need for a .ref file.. There's so much I want/need to do for some routes with editing, such as the PRR ER which the TSRE can handle without crashing often, unlike the MSTS RE; but can't due to the fact that the 'easiest' way to get a shape placed is to go halfway across the route, copy it, and go back to the point you want and paste it there due to the fact the authors of the PRR ER decided to botch the .ref file to prevent modification of the route...
    Anyone can replace or edit a REF file... so there's no way to "prevent modification of the route" based on that. You can also create a new REF file in RouteRiter.

There is a way to remove the need for a big ref file, place the info in the SD file and let the software generate a ref on the fly by reading those sd files. Still needs a small fixed one for the interactives, but that could be kept separate.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Default Protected from TSRE5

I wanted to finish extending the RF&P to Richmond using the program I know and love and hate, MSTS Route Editor, and I'm almost done. TSRE is recommended, so I decided to give it a try.

When I went to download TSRE5 from http://koniec.org/tsre5/data/ onto my Windows 10 computer, I got this:

"TSRE5_v0.699X32.exe was blocked because it could harm your device."

"Microsoft Defender SmartScreen reported that this app is not commonly downloaded; you should only open files you trust.

"Name: TSRE5_v0.699x32.exe

"Publisher: Unknown"

I chose "Keep anyway."

After downloading it, when I tried to copy it to my flash drive to move it to the Windows XP computer, the one I use for train-simming, I got this message:

"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?

"The file TSRE5_v0.699x32.exe has properties that can't be copied to the new location."

I copied it anyway, but when I tried to install it on my XP computer, I got a message that it couldn't be installed because a dll was missing.

When I tried to install TSRE5 on my Windows 10 computer, I got this:

"Windows protected your PC
    "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk."

I chose "Run anyway" but got this message:

"The code execution cannot proceed because Open AL32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

I was not going to install it in Program Files, but I couldn't even get as far as saying where to install it.

Other people have Windows 10 and are using TSRE5. Maybe I should disable Windows Defender (if that's possible)? I have a Webroot subscription.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA

I cannot run KUJU's RE anymore (reasons unknown) so I only get to use TSRE. There are quite a few features in TSRE that are pretty neat and considering the comparison they're all functions that are not present, even close, in KUJU's software.

But there are a few things in KUJU's software where those features are, IMO, slightly or significantly better. I would definitely prefer using KUJU's RE to lay roads and track, even tho the only way change the pitch is holding down an arrow key instead of typing a number (which is better and in TSRE) because if I need to I can rebuild the .tdb and .rdb; there is also a peculiar bug in TSRE that occurs when you flip a track or road around several times and it loses track of the correct elevation value. It is also trivially easy to accidentally relocate a track or road shape when you think you are doing something else. The moved shape leaves a gap w/o editing the .tdb and it can wind up someplace that's not visible, such as under a large building.

A second feature is WRT changing the altitude of terrain. Being able to draw out a rectangle to create a border where you want it that would limit the effect of the change function is in the KUJU RE and it is really very useful.

I cannot run Mosaic anymore either. Mosaic is useful for changing the tertex over very large areas, like multiple tiles. Onesy-twosy changes are much easier to do in TSRE that KUJU's RE.

Last, some TSRE concerns, one factural, one speculative. There are some incompatibilities in TSRE. One that I know if is with QDirection. On occasion the QDirection() value assigned by TSRE has 4 negative numbers. That never occurs in KUJU's RE and when it does it causes the Object Rotator to reject the value. I have long regarded the Object Rotator as one of my essential tools. Speculatively, I wonder if this is why I cannot run KUJU's RE.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Steve,
    When I installed TSRE5 I made a folder in my C drive and named it 1 TSRE. When I downloaded the exe file I put it in that folder. There is also another folder from the same site called "OpenAL", inside are two folders, Win32 and Win64. Depending on your system, either 32 bit or 64 Bit open the appropriate folder and download the file inside then put that into the 1 TSRE folder. That should take care of the error message you got. Also the computer needs to be connected to the internet. Click the TSRE_***** exe and the the program will download the necessary files, you will see them appear. I made a desktop shortcut of the folder for easier access.

I also can no longer use the Kuju RE but I mainly use the TSRE consist editor anyway. I do use the TSRE route editor but only for modifying routes. I haven't tried route building yet. Maybe somday.

MARK