Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spectacular Sand Patch.

Default Spectacular Sand Patch.

Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix OC 2gb graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD. Computer Gamer Since 1985

Hmmm, I don't like the exhaust much, it should be filthy grey black when hauling a train and a pale blue grey when you start the motors up, it shouldn't be white when you're running along with a heavy load, it looks very MSTS-ish to me from 15 years ago, and I didn't like it then......

And they still haven't told us if there is a release date soon, or, if it's going to be another month, 2 months, it's March next week !!!!!!

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 02-21-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

You got old mans complaint, always moaning.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix OC 2gb graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD. Computer Gamer Since 1985

Been following these developments with some interest. The eye candy is something though I agree with the comment on the smoke.

I'm devoted to Run8 as for me it's all about operations and physics over anything else. But that being said if this was to include something I certainly wouldn't mind getting it and trying it out. So far I haven't been convinced though.

Love the turntable but doesn't have that much function for me in a diesel era. The physics thus far just don't cut it as much as they have tried to go for every detail, I think they are missing something here. They've done a great job on capturing the scenery of Sand Patch that is for sure!

Now I seen something in the pics that both interest me and have me curious? First coal loading and unloading looks to be awesome as long as they do it right. If there is a hump does it work? Run8 has done a good job though not perfect usually works well.

My final curiosity is sand box mode, MP, etc. Run8 I can start a world whenever I want and do whatever save it, run AI, dispatch, host, join, set up waybills, etc. Lots of versatility. If this is nothing but relying on loading up your hard drive with new activities then it would get old pretty quick for me.

Still if anyone can answer these I am curious.

Thanks

Sean

Anyway how do you know what the physics are going to be like ?

Graphically am I alone in thinking this is starting to look like TANE?!!

Having driven Sandpatch in MSTS/OR and actually finding it quite boring, I think it's a bit of a stretch to describe the route as "spectacular". Moffat Pass is spectacular. The Peruvian Central is spectacular. Tehachapi is spectacular (with the constant turns and loops). Sandpatch runs through a range of wooded hills (largely) and isn't really that well known outside the US.

Agree re the clag, on a well maintained modern diesel it should be minimal anyway and range through "Alco" black (shot turbocharger) to unburned oil milky blue. It shouldn't look like a plume of steam.

Physics - remains the crunch issue for me. we know they ballsed up the physics in their alpha-demo and that no one on the team was smart enough to spot this before letting it loose in the public eye. Allegedly now addressed but given the numerous things still so wrong in TS20xx with physics will it be a true solution or a sticking plaster?
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    Hmmm, I don't like the exhaust much, .....
    Looks very Trainz-ish...the way it seems to reach maximum altitude and then curve aft.

And I agree....it should not be a delicate grey.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Graphically am I alone in thinking this is starting to look like TANE?!!
    I don't have TANE but I have a feeling of deja-vu with some of the graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Having driven Sandpatch in MSTS/OR and actually finding it quite boring, I think it's a bit of a stretch to describe the route as "spectacular". .....
    I agree 100%, Vern.

When TSW was announced and the plan to release it with Sandpatch I couldn't help but wonder why in God's name did they target that route?
    It couldn't have been because they have a tie-in with CSX because that company operates over other routes which are far more "spectacular" than Sandpatch..........the Abbeville Sub in South Carolina/Georgia, for example. Very interesting and changing environment.

So why Sandpatch?
    The first route released (in 2002) by Maple Leaf Tracks and back then the package was pretty good....certainly it helped establish MLT as a force in the production of commercial third-party add-ons for MSTS.
    But interest palled after a while because of the shortness of the route depicted (only 50 miles) and the fact that visually it became a boring run.

I dunno....I just cannot get my head around why they chose Sandpatch and CSX!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Trees look like plastic models to my old eyes. Sandpatch is of no interest to me, i had the MSTS version and only ran it for a week or so after buying it.

Why constant exhaust smoke anyway. Random would be a lot better. Constant heat vapor would be much more realistic.