Thread: Filleted SLI

Default Filleted SLI

Long missing from the scene are alternate loads for the SLI well cars. Got tired of the absence of the single stack alternatives that are common nowadays so I borrowed some container shapes from the spine cars and adjusted their height and position to make them fit with the SLI well car.

A slight shifting adjustment is still needed for the SLI empty 53 foot wells. The C middle platform was always okay, but the A end platform was always centered a bit off to the left, and when they flipped that shape to make a B end platform, that B unit ended up being too far to the right. So while the containers sit in the same position for all 3 platforms, the A and B wells are not fitting properly. Yes, it was a flip job, which explains why both ends also erroneously had brake wheels when only the B end should have had one. It was one of those misalignment things that you really never noticed until after you placed a fixed object inside as a load and then you noticed the intrusions here and there from the well car being off-center.

It would be very neat some day to be able to run an activity in open rails that involves loading, unloading, toupeeing or filleting these type of cars at an intermodal terminal. Something along the lines of the player jumping between the straddle crane running on its own hidden 'track' adding or deleting freight animations to the cars and the switch engine spotting or pulling the various cuts of cars.

Well done, those single-stacks came out very nicely ... adds a touch of variety to a consist if desired.

When you have heavy containers and need a HuskyStack and don't have one, you improvise and make your own. By keeping the middle well unloaded, the middle well becomes a 53 foot long drawbar connecting the 2 outer wells each with a heavy container supported by its own dedicated two sets of trucks.

The end of the B well with its wheelset riding noticeably off-center, and which needs to be nudged to the left. The B end has the brake wheel.

The A end with it's improper brake wheel gone, all that remains is the weathering. The wheels ride to the left when viewed from the same direction as the B end and needs to be nudged to the right.

very nice work

They look great Geepster! Conrail had most of the single stack sets along as "fillets" and ran them on the Boston Line to Beacon Park. Since there is a height restriction after Framingham (CP21) in where there is an High Car detector placed there that there are no cars higher than 20-2 since of numerous amounts of low height bridges. Those will fit in nicely! (They filleted them in Syracuse before sent them out east towards Selkirk and the Boston Line.)
    Dave Edwards

Wow those are incredible!!

Yes, a long time void in this hobby. You don't even see single stacks populating many freeware offerings. Why is that? You would have thought some payware company would have capitalized on that deficiency long before now.

Dave mentions the Boston line in the Conrail days. Even today, you have other single stack-only corridors. CSX traffic up and down the A Line between New Jersey and Jacksonville FL is all single stack because of the Baltimore tunnel. What these trains lack in height, they make up for in length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fE69wkS0KE

And NS traffic between Chicago and Ayer is restricted to one stack because of Hoosic Tunnel in Massachusetts. These ones are almost always 100% COFC, no trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HlldbiwiXI

It's not just the Hoosac Tunnel that is the reason for the single stack trains on Pan Am Southern. It's a lot of the bridges and structures along the way. Low walk paths over the rails as well for certain stations including the one in Lawrence (or maybe it's Lowell I'm thinking of?)
    In fact even SLR at one point, was single stack for this reason.. But that is why I always did spine sets when it came to Pan Am stuff...

I'm wanting to do some EIMSKIP containers, but I cannot find any good photos, at all.
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

I don't know what part of the CSX A line you're referring to, but here in DC (on the A-line), CSX double-stack trains have been running since December when the new east portal of the Virginia Ave tunnel opened up.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South