Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gamer Rig for $500 - suitable for Open Rails or one of the newer commercial sims?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    My Open Rails frame rate is limited to the refresh rate of the monitor: 75. Without the limit, some routes get over 100 with average in the 80s-90s. Occasionally, very complex areas with AI traffic will drag frame rate down into the 60s.

That's with a Core2 Extreme X9650 at the stock 3 GHz clock (no overclock), 8GB RAM, SSD boot & train sims disk, 1TB backing and general data hard disk, GTX 750ti GPU, old CRT monitor (Dell/Sony Trinitron). Windows 10 (now 1703 - it updated a few weeks ago). 500W Antec power supply and Enermax case. IOW a dog's breakfast, but it works well. The motherboard & CPU are over 10 years old (given to me by a friend who was upgrading), the monitor is of course older than that, and the rest is newer bought at various times. Despite its age, it runs better under Win10 than any other (newer) computer in the house. So I'm in no hurry to replace it; just like to keep my eye on interesting options as have turned up with AMD getting back into the business forcing Intel to compete just a little bit.
    Wow! What route do you use? I'm lucky to get 30 on my i3 (20 with AI).

Surfliner 2.2 runs on the refresh limit most of the time in rural areas, dropping into the low 60s downtown. Cima Sub has little going on with AI and scenery and usually runs on the refresh limit. PRR-ER dips into the high 50s in a few spots.

An i3 should do better than 30, even though it's a dual-core (not quad like my old Core2). I'd look at other things in the system, such as the video card (you're not using Intel HD graphics I hope!) and the disk (running from a solid-state disk helps a lot with loading scenery and such). Also RAM: both quantity (6-8 GB is worthwhile so there's space for all the background stuff to run in while Open Rails gets 4) and speed (I don't overclock, but most computers can use higher-speed RAM than they come with by default). Ultimately, though, you will probably want to upgrade to a i5 or i7 (or equivalent Ryzen) that has at least 4 real cores (not 2 with hyperthreading as in the i3 and low-end i5's) because Open Rails does run multiple processes that can benefit from that. Looking at Task Manager when running OR in mine, I see about 75% total CPU load with at least 3 cores running in the 50% or more range.

As for the Intel graphics comment: I have a laptop (business-style) with i5 and 4GB RAM - and Intel graphics. OR runs smoothly, but reports a frame rate of around 15 on most routes (down to 10 at times, rarely up to 20). Given that the laptop works well otherwise, I lay the slow OR performance on the Intel HD (built-in on i-series CPUs) graphics. If that's all youm have, get a separate graphics card or (if it's available in a laptop) activate the alternative nVidia or AMD graphics when using OR. The difference can be astounding.

Edit: my Core2 was, in its time, the ultimate gamer chip - equivalent at the time to today's all-singing all-dancing i7. So I'm not surprised that its performance is still competitive with mid-line i-series CPUs. I call it trailing edge because it is, from an Intel CPU generations standpoint, but top of the line back then is still pretty good. Also, keeping the other parts (disks, video, RAM) more or less up to date helps. More ordinary Core2 (or even *shudder* Celeron) chips wouldn't work so well.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 08-29-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    Surfliner 2.2 runs on the refresh limit most of the time in rural areas, dropping into the low 60s downtown. Cima Sub has little going on with AI and scenery and usually runs on the refresh limit. PRR-ER dips into the high 50s in a few spots.

An i3 should do better than 30, even though it's a dual-core (not quad like my old Core2). I'd look at other things in the system, such as the video card (you're not using Intel HD graphics I hope!) and the disk (running from a solid-state disk helps a lot with loading scenery and such). Also RAM: both quantity (6-8 GB is worthwhile so there's space for all the background stuff to run in while Open Rails gets 4) and speed (I don't overclock, but most computers can use higher-speed RAM than they come with by default). Ultimately, though, you will probably want to upgrade to a i5 or i7 (or equivalent Ryzen) that has at least 4 real cores (not 2 with hyperthreading as in the i3 and low-end i5's) because Open Rails does run multiple processes that can benefit from that. Looking at Task Manager when running OR in mine, I see about 75% total CPU load with at least 3 cores running in the 50% or more range.

As for the Intel graphics comment: I have a laptop (business-style) with i5 and 4GB RAM - and Intel graphics. OR runs smoothly, but reports a frame rate of around 15 on most routes (down to 10 at times, rarely up to 20). Given that the laptop works well otherwise, I lay the slow OR performance on the Intel HD (built-in on i-series CPUs) graphics. If that's all youm have, get a separate graphics card or (if it's available in a laptop) activate the alternative nVidia or AMD graphics when using OR. The difference can be astounding.

Edit: my Core2 was, in its time, the ultimate gamer chip - equivalent at the time to today's all-singing all-dancing i7. So I'm not surprised that its performance is still competitive with mid-line i-series CPUs. I call it trailing edge because it is, from an Intel CPU generations standpoint, but top of the line back then is still pretty good. Also, keeping the other parts (disks, video, RAM) more or less up to date helps. More ordinary Core2 (or even *shudder* Celeron) chips wouldn't work so well.
    Using intel graphics with regular HDD (no SSD). That's likely the issue. (PRR-ER route). 6GB Ram.