Thread: An updated New York State Railroads Route

Default An updated New York State Railroads Route

Hello! So I'm currently working on an new, and updated "New York State Railroads" (NYSR) and I like to show you my current progress so far. Here are some screenshots (mainly in the more completed areas.) To view the images larger, just click on them.

This first is the current end of the route. For the first version of this new version, track will go between Lyons and Syracuse. None of the interactive objects currently work since I haven't completed track work yet (the signals are currently a static object). [Location]

The second one shows our train crossing the Erie Canal bridge near Hog Island. [Location]

This one was taken not far away from the second one, but we are about to cross a long bridge that goes over the marshy landscape in the area. [Location]

Our train has reached Clyde, NY and running parallel to the Erie Canal. [Location]

I'm solving the boringness of the old route. I'm also adding some elevation changes to the route as well (mainly hills near the track.) Here is this one I created (it's covered in trees now as it is in real life.) The route will not be built using DEM extractors, but it will be created using this method. [Location]

Finally, the last image I have, our train arriving at Lyons, NY. Not much yet, but I'm working on it. [Location]

I'm not working on the "NYR" anymore (this was a tough choice to make) but I'm liking how this updated version is looking so far. I have no release date yet still (I've only worked on the route for about 2 weeks now.) but I hope you like it!
    tgriebel; also known as "Stickmanstudoes"
    Creator of New York State Railroads

Railroads give off less CO2 than trucks and cars. They should be saved.

Did you use Demex (or whatever replacement in the new RE) to set the proper terrain contours and elevations? With the last version I was kinda bummed to not actually see trains climbing a grade when around Bergen hill or Attica hill.

Each to their own obviously but (and hey Geepster, we agree on something!) using the mole hill method is not nearly as good as using DEM via Demex. All my early MSTS routes evolved via a variation this method but you know when driving that it's not that true to the landscape. Particularly now we have such hi-res DEM available, regardless of the sim unless I was building purely a model railway, I would always opt for DEM to the best available resolution.
    Vern.

So I'm currently trying out DEM stuff out using TSRE5 (which is painfully slow on PC even with adjusted settings, but usable) However, release date will be a little longer due to this.
    Last edited by tgriebel; 03-15-2017 at 08:38 PM. Reason: clarification

As an Upstate New Yorker I love watching progress on this. Keep it up!

I'd have to think proper dem would be worth all the time it takes. Even in flat western New York.

I've seen one early version of a route with tracks only, no scenery except dem, and since it was in the mountains it was enough to already get a flavor of the area and recognize where one was.

Christopher

DEM data has now been implemented! I may do a public beta test probably once track work is completed, but here are two screenshots taken in Lyons: