Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the TSW release

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    (And yes, we know that you love it, Tim....as you keep telling us. But some of us are not satisfied with mediocrity).
    LOL

Fair enough

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    No. No, we weren't.
    There was no allowance made by DTG for anything other than minor observations to be looked at between the time they issued the "beta" and the time they stopped it.
    That was not a beta-test period, believe me.

I've been involved in enough software production (commercial stuff, not games) to know that a product has to be put through the mill before it is released and during that testing period even the most ridiculous "that will never happen" possible errors have to be looked for and, if found, eliminated.
    That never happened with DTG's so-called "beta".

It all comes back to the boss setting a release date and the product is going out the door, come what may. If it's broken, we'll fix it later.
    I agree with seagoon, and from what I've been reading so far, I'm glad I saved my money. Well, not completely, as I did go ahead and get the Pioneers Edition to try the so called "beta" in hoping there would be a bit of a price break on TSW for us "testers". Not!!

I like TSW overall, but am waiting for the editor and mods.

Yes same here. Don't worry about the wingers on here as they whine about anything. They have a reputation for it. That is why lots of people don't come to this forum.
    Last edited by Flybyme; 03-28-2017 at 05:12 PM.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix OC 2gb graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD. Computer Gamer Since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyme View Post
    Yes same here. Don't worry about the wingers on here as they whine about anything. They have a reputation for it. That is why lots of people don't come to this forum.
    On Amazon, against "Customer Reviews" you can tick to say that you either found the review helpful ...or not! Usually the one liners get few helpful ticks and a good few NOT helpful ticks.

As a Train Simmer since 2001 I look at all forums regarding new software. As yet I've found none, other than a short time with Railworks, to get my custom. However I read the threads to see what each new Sim "Brings to the Party". Just because a Sim doesn't feature aspects that interest me personally doesn't mean that I'm uninterested in it's development and the progress of that development.

Reading this thread so far I've seen a lot of posts that would get my Helpful tick (were I a potential Customer) and a few one liners that would get my NOT HELPFUL tick.

It seems obvious to me that TSW was pitched as a "realistic operations" Sim much as Run 8 is. To that end I see constructive criticism and some discussion about Game engines. I also see that some of this comes from people who've been around Train Sims since 2001.

Do you get my drift?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

If you like the game, by all means play it. The only part I like about it is the scenery, which is the same way I felt about TS. If you want to just run a train from A to B and just have the experience, then TSW is good enough for that. But, if you want to know what running a train actually feels like, look for something else.

LOL honestly I find this forum to be pretty decent for members ( steam seems to be a nightmare lol )

BUT today I had the day off so I fired up the Sanpatch Radio broadcast @ RR.net

Fired up TSW and decided to give some services a try.

It's actually a lot of fun having that " open world " and being able to do what I want

I decided to take an autorack train from Cumberland to Rockwood junction. The run was going great and I knew I had a town up ahead that I knew I could get out of bounds and explore ( as seen on a you tube video )

So I stopped the train, tied it down and headed towards the pick up truck that I new I could sneak around and head into town.

There was one guy walking around town ... and he kept going back and fourth. I am going to assume because it was 2AM this person was the town drunk trying to find his way home

Anyways .... after 5ish minutes of walking around I got a pop up message on the screen

" would you like to relinquish control of Q34?

" Yes or No "

So ... not knowing fully what this was I selected " yes "

Well sure as [email protected]$t don't the pair of SD40s start pulling away from the crossing and accelerating out of Mance

I ran as fast as I virtually could but I missed the second units stairs by about 5 feet.

Needless to say it looks like I'm staying at " drunkies " house tonight.

I didn't have time to wait but I know in other services you can wait for other events and take over other trains. I'm gonna mess with this tomorrow.

Also I'm gonna give the " hump " a try ..... before Hunter Harrison closes it

Good luck CSX
    Last edited by CPR_Malice_96th; 03-28-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    On Amazon, against "Customer Reviews" you can tick to say that you either found the review helpful ...or not! Usually the one liners get few helpful ticks and a good few NOT helpful ticks.

As a Train Simmer since 2001 I look at all forums regarding new software. As yet I've found none, other than a short time with Railworks, to get my custom. However I read the threads to see what each new Sim "Brings to the Party". Just because a Sim doesn't feature aspects that interest me personally doesn't mean that I'm uninterested in it's development and the progress of that development.

Reading this thread so far I've seen a lot of posts that would get my Helpful tick (were I a potential Customer) and a few one liners that would get my NOT HELPFUL tick.

It seems obvious to me that TSW was pitched as a "realistic operations" Sim much as Run 8 is. To that end I see constructive criticism and some discussion about Game engines. I also see that some of this comes from people who've been around Train Sims since 2001.

Do you get my drift?
    Yes ... that after 16 years some have still not learned that colored pixels will never equate to reality.

Sad is it not ?

Quote Originally Posted by 3Directions View Post
    Yes ... that after 16 years some have still not learned that colored pixels will never equate to reality.

Sad is it not ?
    Maybe you should direct that quip to military organisations (particularly navies) world-wide, who have been using computer simulations for donkey's years.
    The coloured pixels in those sims have come as close to reality as we would ever like to see.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

As you keep reminding us...

If you want to see positive I suggest you check out some of the latest threads in the Run8 section of the board. No negativity or "winging" (actually it's whinging) there, because the developer has crafted a quality product that works as advertised. It is of course your prerogative to apologise for or appease DTG's shortcomings and if that is your thing, then perhaps you should restrict yourself to those forums where eternal sunshine is the order of the day, rather than troll here with one liners (seems I took the bait though).
    Vern.