Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting train on incline and questions about HUD

Default Starting train on incline and questions about HUD

Often times, when trying to start a fully loaded train on an incline, I can't seem to get enough traction/power and I ultimately start rolling backwards. I've been using the sander and using as little throttle as possible...still can't seem to get it. I've also tried increasing the throttle before releasing the independent brakes with varying degrees of success.

I'm fairly new to using freight trains (more of a fan of passenger/metro routes), so anyone have any tips on that or is it an impossibility on some grades because of the sheer weight?

Side question...any way to just disable to speedometer HUD on the lower right corner without having to disable all the HUD?

See if you can by reading the manual which you can find on your Steam TSW Library page, which you can download or print out.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix OC 2gb graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD. Computer Gamer Since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by LtCarman1 View Post
    .....Side question...any way to just disable to speedometer HUD on the lower right corner without having to disable all the HUD?
    Nil.
    It's all, or nothing, unfortunately.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

As I've already noted, it's hard to start a train on the level without (unrealistically) engaging the throttle in Notch 6 or Notch 7, as I experienced twice again yesterday evening. So best of luck on a hill start. At this point it seems DTG have borked the physics and we can only hope that Paul Jackson will have the relevant section heads in Monday morning, for a "Fix it or off down the Job Centre" ultimatum...
    Vern.

Side question...any way to just disable to speedometer HUD on the lower right corner without having to disable all the HUD?
    Nope, not that I've found anyway, and I've looked EVERYWHERE, it just hasn't been implemented in the game, you either have it all, or, it completely disappears.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Often times, when trying to start a fully loaded train on an incline, I can't seem to get enough traction/power and I ultimately start rolling backwards. I've been using the sander and using as little throttle as possible...still can't seem to get it. I've also tried increasing the throttle before releasing the independent brakes with varying degrees of success.

I'm fairly new to using freight trains (more of a fan of passenger/metro routes), so anyone have any tips on that or is it an impossibility on some grades because of the sheer weight?

Don't have this game, but you could try throwing the sand on, throttling up to 2 or 3, release train brakes, then very very slowly release or even feather the independent until you get moving. Like I said, don't have the game, but this is what I might do IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by kknobl View Post
    Don't have this game, but you could try throwing the sand on, throttling up to 2 or 3, release train brakes, then very very slowly release or even feather the independent until you get moving. Like I said, don't have the game, but this is what I might do IRL.
    See my comments above - this game seems far from real life...
    Vern.

Thanks for your help guys. I think I figured it out somewhat. Before releasing the automatic and independent brakes, I put it at notch 3 and wait for the amps to stabilize at 540ish, pop some sand and then release the automatic brakes. Then, I slowly release the independent brakes. Once the independent brakes are released and the train starts moving slightly forward, I increase the throttle one notch when the train "stalls." I repeat that process once I get enough traction to move forward.

Sorry if it sounds convoluted. It's 4am here waiting for my shift to end.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    See my comments above - this game seems far from real life...
    LOL ..... but it looks like real life

That's good enough for me

Other than ya having to start in run 5 then kicking the brakes off expecting to rip knuckles apart I don't have very many issues with this initial launch.

I have blown a red signal before under heavy HEAVY braking and I was very glad to see that I didn't get an instant " MISSION FAILED " message. I'm pretty sure it just affected my end of scenario score ( like a lot ).

Pretty sure management is gonna wanna see me at work as well

Management has also called me in to discuss my repeated offences of reporting to work and then walking around the yard / mainline looking for " collectables "

I'm gonna try this at VIA and see how that goes lol ..... although we did have a crew member that would hop off at a lot of the stations last year to go " Pokemon hunting " on his phone. We almost left this person in Jasper once. Oh well I guess there are worse places to be stranded.

Good to see that DTG added a Pokemon feature into the game so that when TSW is released on Xbox, the kids that get tired of playing trains can now virtually play " Pokemon " and no longer even need to take a step outside lol

Way to remove us from society one step further lol

Anyway ..... I'm enjoying TSW ( And TSW Pokemon )

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region

Same here, not sure about the pokemon though.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix OC 2gb graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD. Computer Gamer Since 1985