Thread: Game Aspects of TSW

Default Game Aspects of TSW

So, no doubt to appeal to a wider audience, TSW has a number of game aspects that haven't been discussed here yet. I've looked into them a bit but haven't quite figured things out.

There are now "collectables". I walked around the yard and found a few of them. But I cannot find where the results of this are recorded or displayed. My profile within the sim doesn't really show much...my "level", miles driven, etc. but I don't see the collectables. Any ideas? I also can't see any purpose for this...you'd think there would be some larger goal involved. It is kind of interesting poking around on foot though, something you could not do in real life.

As you operate there are also all these little achievements, like "blow the horn", "use the brakes", etc. Again, I don't see where these are recorded or displayed. It would be interesting to know what achievements are possible and your progression towards doing them all.

The little achievements seem to "proc" the first time you perform that action after restarting the game. Not sure where they are stored but "used the throttle" etc. after a while is going to get a bit, "No stuff Sherlock", it is a train sim...
    Vern.

I'm not sure what these "scouting badges" are for.
    But it seems that each time you go into a new Scenario, it starts over.....
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Your achievements are in your Steam profile.

Go to Steam, click your user name, select Profile, and select the Achievement Progress from the game under Recent Activity you want to know about.
    It will list your personal achievements, a little up in the window are the global achievements.
    Last edited by Edwin; 03-20-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    Edwin "Kanawha"

The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Your achievements are in your Steam profile.

Go to Steam, click your user name, select Profile, and select the Achievement Progress from the game under Recent Activity you want to know about.
    It will list your personal achievements, a little up in the window are the global achievements.
    I run Steam in offline mode so it probably isn't updating any of that rubbish.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I don't care either about those childish achievements, badges and stuff.

Out of curiosity I checked the global TS17 achievements. With my collection of DCL there are a whopping 959 of them.
    The highest ranked is completed by only 19.3% of all worldwide players, the great majority by less than 1%.

Am I correct in saying that nobody really cares about TS17 achievements?

Are there total number of players statistics over time available anywhere?

At this moment 497 are playing TS17 online, while for instance 2278 play Farming Simulator or 4464 European or 1051 American Truck Simulator. TSW apparently isn't being logged.
    Edwin "Kanawha"

The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)

I knew about the achievements logged in my Steam account, but those are different from the "used throttle", etc. things that keep popping up in TSW. I still have not found where those are recorded/reported. Likewise, I still have not found where "collectables" are reported after you find them. If Dovetail thinks these aspects of the sim are important to some players you would think they would make the results easier to find...

You might think the achievements "childish" and in some cases I agree that you're right. Some of them are not particularly well thought out...either too easy or for something trivial. If done right, though, it is kind of nice to have goals to work towards. I've been playing a lot of American Truck Simulator and ETS2 lately and in ATS in particular some of the achievements led me to parts of the sim world I might not have found otherwise.

You are right, finding all achievements isn't easy.
    I've come across my performance in TSW thus:
    Click on you username in the Steam top row
    Select Profile from the drop down menu
    In the Recent Activity pane there should be your TSW,
    Click on Achievement Progress and the whole list should appear and your score in each item
    It appears I have still 2 hidden achievements remaining, which will be revealed when achievements are "unlocked".

Most are quite trivial indeed, and it would be good to have real achievements that leave the player with a sense of purpose and fulfilment like:

On time performance
    Loading a coal train without spilling
    Delivering fragile cargo without damage
    Fuel saving/driving economics?

A penalty score would also be informative:
    Number of SPAD's
    Number of derailments, crashes,
    Number of broken couplers
    Number of cargo delivered too late

We'll see what DTG or scenario writers have in score. Scripted scenarios?
    Edwin "Kanawha"

Are your Player Profiles, Completed Tutorials, Scenarios and Services saved in your Steam profile?

It doesn't appear so, since I installed TSW on my other computers and have to set up a profile and do the tutorial every time.
    Edwin "Kanawha"

Quote Originally Posted by Nels_Anderson View Post
    I knew about the achievements logged in my Steam account, but those are different from the "used throttle", etc. things that keep popping up in TSW. I still have not found where those are recorded/reported. Likewise, I still have not found where "collectables" are reported after you find them. If Dovetail thinks these aspects of the sim are important to some players you would think they would make the results easier to find...

You might think the achievements "childish" and in some cases I agree that you're right. Some of them are not particularly well thought out...either too easy or for something trivial. If done right, though, it is kind of nice to have goals to work towards. I've been playing a lot of American Truck Simulator and ETS2 lately and in ATS in particular some of the achievements led me to parts of the sim world I might not have found otherwise.
    I'm not minding the achievements as well. Something else to do while waiting in sidings I guess

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region