Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: MCOA2 - Progress

Ah, Thanks for the explanation on the textures Jerry. That sounds as good as any method for creating terrain.

I've made some progress on figuring out how the Milw transitioned from side to side with the DC power lines. It would appear from photos that the Milw just used standard looking power poles and just bridged the gaps between the sections where the wire transitioned from side to side. In other words it looks as if the feeder cables did not always hang on the catenary poles. Some catenary poles would not have any DC feeder lines if they only existed on the other side of the ROW for short segments.

There might not have been many spots that had DC feeders going up over the catenary line on taller power line poles.

Robert
    Last edited by NW 2156; 10-09-2017 at 12:35 AM.

Robert,

One thing that bugs me is that from Harlowton to Avery, and from Othello to Hyak, there are the high tension,
    3-phase poles, usually on the north side of the track, but not always.

I have yet to see a image that indicates if there were these 3-phase poles between Hyak and Cedar Falls and I
    have questioned the Milwaukee Road Historical folks about it. I can understand that there may not have been
    any because Cedar Falls is close to populated areas and it may have been supplied by local power, or by a
    shorter line of 3-phase poles out to the area of Maple Valley. After that the line is (and was) in an urban
    setting.

Jerry

I understand Jerry. It's a real Pita to try and find any decent photos. Trying to make out a thin thread of a wire is all but impossible on some photographs.

Robert

Robert,

There is a website:

http://research.milwelectric.org/_la.../AllItems.aspx

This site has a growing collection of viewable scans of what are generically referred to as "Valuation Maps".
    These were done on all railroads that came under USRA rule in the 1918-1920+ era and most were then
    kept up to date over the years. The station maps show the hi-T lines but only telegraph lines are
    shown, if any at all, on others. In the area mentioned, only telegraph lines followed the tracks and I
    have placed those. Cedar Falls got it's Hi-T power from a dam to the north, so the line follows the
    Everett branch (which I didn't include). It is believe that the remaining two substations got their power
    locally.

I have offered to provide them with scans of the track profile maps I have, and asked them about the
    possibility of them providing those maps between Mobridge, SD and Harlowton, MT. Although that would
    be a rather boring route (passenger trains were through there mostly at night) it would complete the
    Pacific Extension.

Jerry

Jerry

What a lot of great data at that site! A lot of good source material for activities as well!

Jerry, Thanks for bringing that site to my attention.

I have offered to provide them with scans of the track profile maps I have, and asked them about the
    possibility of them providing those maps between Mobridge, SD and Harlowton, MT. Although that would
    be a rather boring route (passenger trains were through there mostly at night) it would complete the
    Pacific Extension.

If it would complete the Pacific Extension I would be all for it. Long live the Milw Road!

Robert

Robert,

The Milwaukee Road had the absolute, bar none, best track charts I have ever worked with. Besides giving the number
    of spans & type of trestles etc, there are very frequent notations of the elevation above sea level. This values consistently
    matched those from extractions with DEMEX within less than a meter, so laying the track accurately is plain easy.

Now if those other maps were not available, it could still be done with data from Google Earth, but the elevation data is
    inconsistent on GE.

The track charts also show such tidbits as the location of rail greasers, so when you run an activity on the RMD-EAST
    or WEST, those you see are (or were) there. And by the way, most of the charts I have are in the library of this site.

Jerry

Jerry, That is very interesting information. About the Rail Greasers. I was noting several of them that are poorly aligned to the track in MSTS. In some places they are almost submerged into the terrain. Now I realize the greaser shape was not the best one ever made as I have discovered trying to place them in another route. The shape could stand being replaced with something that is exported at the right height for consistant placement.

The author is still around but I've got an out of date email address for him? I would like to discuss the short comings of the shape and see about a corrected offering?

Maybe the shape could be shifted upward in SFM? I've got no clue.

Robert

The best way would have been for the greaser to place at the base of the track, similar to the way
    telephone poles can be placed, or catenary supports. Then only the rotation would have been
    necessary. SInce they place level, the odd results usually occur on grades.

Wink More Progress - Stampede Pass

Colleagues,

Here are some more images. These cover the westbound North Coast limited as it climbs the east side
    of Stampede Pass and one image as it passes the new Stampede Station which was located at the
    end of double track, just west of the last tunnel on the pass. The pass is single track these days and
    New Stampede is history along with Martin, and Old Stampede. I am trying to make this as accurately
    as I can, the era just before Amtrak when the North Coast Limited was a NP train. As a NP train it
    disappeared with the BN merger in 1970.

NCL_03.jpgNCL_04.jpgNCL_02.jpgNCL_01.jpgNCL_05.jpg

J. H. Sullivan