Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: MCOA2 - Progress

Jerry, It's good to hear that you are safe and sound. I was worried about you and Paul both.

May I ask why the NP switchback route instead of what came after all the mess? Seems like alot of work for something that was used only 1 year instead of the Stampede Pass tunnel.

Stampede Pass set in the BNSF era has been on my to do list for years.

Robert

I am doing the whole route as sort of a "study in history". So when it is released, you will get both the Stampede Tunnel and
    the Switchbacks. I want to use those in-cab markers that show up in some routes, and so if you take the tunnel route, you will
    get a message that says something like, "this route has been in effect since --date", or if you take the switchbacks, it will say
    that these were in use from ---date to date . Same way at Snoqualmie, as I am including both the hi-line and the tunnel line.
    And also on the NP, there was a major line change east of Lester that bypassed Weston in 1912 or so, and I am including both
    the original, and the revised route there.

If you come along at some point and take this route, and reissue it in the BNSF era only, I have no problem with that if you just
    footnote me in your remarks.

J. H. Sullivan

Just as information for any that is curious, when I do a route that has some history, I research it as best as I can and consult the
    historical groups related to it. Then I try to include any major route changes that occurred over the history of the route. If, then
    someone else wants to take my route and create a "clone" that is specific to a particular era, I have not problem with it as long as
    they footnote me in their credits some way.

For example, I want to do Stevens Pass (GN) condensed to Gold Bar to Leavenworth, roughly. I have done the track and in so
    doing it, I have included all three routes used by the GN. The original switchback route over the top of the pass which operated
    from 1891 to 1900, which also includes the loop up Martins Creek, and the line down to Berne in the east. Then there is the
    first Cascade Tunnel, which eliminated the switchbacks, but retained the rest of the original route and was electrified, which was
    in use from 1900 to 1929. And then finally the current tunnel, which eliminated all of the old line and has been in use to the
    present day and which was electrified until roughly the late 1950s..

landnrailroader

Cool Milwaukee Road snow sheds along lake Keechelus

Colleagues,

Alongside Lake Keechelus, a few miles east of Hyak, there was a troublesome slide area which was covered
    with large snow sheds, extending up into the troublesome slope. These were approx. 1200 ft. in length
    on a curve. They were easily seen from old US-10 which is now buried under I-90 but since we do not
    simulate that modern an era, we have US-10 in place. Therefore the image needs no caption. This is
    the view across the lake which a passing motorist in the 1950s would have seen.

Although the railroad grade is in place, used as a hiking/biking trail, the snow sheds were in bad shape
    and were removed some years ago.

snoqualmie_01.JPG

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrairoader)

Jerry, I look very much towards this route's release. The Milw under wire will then be complete.

Your mention of GN under wire has caught my attention and I await any further progress or news on that project. Not too many GN electrics available though.

Robert

Default GN Electrics

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Jerry, I look very much towards this route's release. The Milw under wire will then be complete.

Your mention of GN under wire has caught my attention and I await any further progress or news on that project. Not too many GN electrics available though.

Robert
    Nobody has done the electric part of the GN, so maybe that will encourage someone to be creative in motive power. I have no clue how to handle the original 3-phase system, so I'll be using the later single phase system, and maybe someone will create some of the GN electrics. That may be the next release, likely in late 2019.

J. H. Sullivan

There were only a few types of Great Northern electrics as far as I have found. The first was four Alco-GE boxcabs used as tunnel motors from 1909 to 1927. These were followed by 8 electric boxcabs class Y-1 which operated from 1927-1956 when they were sold off to the Pennsylvania Railroad. In 1947, two class W-1 cab type electrics were built and operated until 1956 when electrification was removed in favor of diesels (and more powerful tunnel fans).

Frank Musick created the GN class W-1 for MSTS. His W-1s numbered 5018 and 5019 are in the Trainsim library. I've not located any of GN's boxcab electrics as yet.
    Last edited by llanning08; 09-18-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Frank also did the Milwaukee Road "little joe" and I believe the wheel arrangement was similar.

Yes, I still have Frank's TSM file for the W-1 conversion to the UP coal turbine project if anyone wants to work on the UP experimental turbine?

Robert

Wink Laconia

Colleagues,

The Milwaukee Road Hi-Line existed from 1909 till the completion of the Snoqualmie Tunnel about
    1921. Today there is nothing in the area except an Interstate Hiway and several Ski resorts and
    we have only vague information as to what existed there. A sketch in Johnson's book on building
    the Pacific Extension suggests that the depot was south of the tracks, i.e. on the left side going
    west, and that there were three tracks. Fortunately I digitized this area before the loss of the
    server that supported UsaPhotomaps. Images from there very clearly showed the rail line R/W
    at the extreme top of the pass, including the sharp horseshoe that turned the railroad down and
    toward the southwest to descend the pass, westbound. The rest of it is a best guess. It is also likely
    that there was mostly side-hill cuts on the west side, and a construction map in the mentioned book
    shows that there was a trestle where the Hi-Line joined the later track out of the tunnel. So I
    have placed a few structures at the summit, and I also want to put a non-interactive water tank
    there. Forests were dense with various species of conifers in the area. There was a road over the
    pass which later became US-10 and I have included it. I have the station, a tool house, a motor
    car shed, and 3 section houses at the summit. Section houses also have a outhouse in the rear.

snoqualmie_02.JPG

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)