Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MCOA2 - Progress

Cool MCOA2 - Progress

First let me make it clear that the MCOA2 will be fully detailed, although probably more along the level of
    the "GAP" than the MCOA1 mainly because I don't use Mosaic. Structures will be correct and as far as it
    is possible the yards are correct. I have revised a version that Simon "wired" for me a few years back
    and I have started putting in the roads. Somewhat of a guess there as it is to be pre-INTERSTATE, but
    have decent highways etc. I went back to pre-1955 topo maps to figure the route of US-10 over
    Snoqualmie Pass for instance.

Here is the first image, taken from the editor, which shows the NP line as it passes Hansen dam. This is part
    of the Sea-Tac water supply and was built several years ago, requiring a relocation of the NP out of Eagle
    Gorge. It is 4 or 5 miles east of Palmer Jct. The road on the right does not go very far into the forest but the
    one on the left goes to Palmer jct. where it joins with a highway.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)hansen_dam.JPG

It's always a joy to see new routes in the construction phase. It's always a big project no matter what. It beats trying to do a HO or N scale layout in the basement that's for sure.
    Rory

Well maybe. I have a large collection of mostly L&N HO equipment. I still have and use, my first car. It was a Varney flat car, which I bought with my allowance money at age 14, in 1953. The car is now 64 years old, and I am 78. I was never very good at doing layouts. I could and did create near perfect track, had signals that worked, etc. but scenery was a great mystery, just never got it right. So I have a layout that I have not touched since I got hold of this addictive process called TrainSim. I have tried TRAINZ and RailWorks but
    returned to MSTS because for all of it's quirks, it has the most realistic feel. The best part of doing a simulation is that if you don't get
    it right the first time, just run DEMEX on that part of the route and start it again. This particular route was done, track wise, when I
    first started using X-tracks and M-tracks, so it still has more dynamic track than I prefer these days. It also will not rebuild unless the
    track is left out across a boundary at two or three places but those pieces can be easily inserted at the last step before distribution.

Having run both diesel and steam in the real world (I am retired from Southern Rwy. & CSX transportation) I know what things should
    look and feel like and that is what I try to capture.

Can't wait!!!!!!

Default More MCOA2 Progress

green_rvr1.JPGFurther progress has been made on both the MOCA2 and the GF lines. Now, steel trestles are being constructed for both. But one of the most impressive of these is on the NP main line where it crosses the Green River a few miles east of Lester, WA. This massive double track structure was built in 1912 to eliminate a long loop (Weston Loop) up the Green River almost to it's source. In the image, note that the old track is in place and eventually the river will pass under here as well. This is so that two eras can be used when "simming" the NP and yes, the switch backs over Stampede Pass will be there too. It would be correct to use the old line at this point with either the
    switchbacks or Stampede Tunnel, but if this bridge is used, then it must be used with Stampede Tunnel. I will provide a time line when the route is released, likely sometime in late 2018. Yes even basic detailing takes a long time, while track and roads go in fast.

landnrailroader

Dear landrailroader,

I wish you every luck with this project, I have the other 4 Milwaukee Road routes, the level of detail of these routes
    exceeds or level with the best routes on the "MSTS market"!

Hope your health are good, as we all worries about when passing 70 years.

We have had a reletively cold sommer here with a maximum temperature of 85. Take care and have a nice time with the MSTS.

All the best from John in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by ttjjj View Post
    Dear landrailroader,

I wish you every luck with this project, I have the other 4 Milwaukee Road routes, the level of detail of these routes
    exceeds or level with the best routes on the "MSTS market"!

Hope your health are good, as we all worries about when passing 70 years.

We have had a reletively cold sommer here with a maximum temperature of 85. Take care and have a nice time with the MSTS.

All the best from John in Norway
    Well John, my health is okay. I had prostate Ca 10 years ago and since a year or so after that, my PSA has
    been unreadible - that is good. Had a scare with my wife. She has a lesion in the roof of her mouth but the
    Doctor, yesterday, said it was not cancer, but some kind of irritation. He measured it and will see her again in
    4 weeks and if it is bigger, or still there, some treatment will be necessary.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)

Jerry, I have been interested in the Milw under the wires for many years and have downloaded all 4 of the Milw routes and enjoy them all. I very much look forward to this Milw route and any future Milw routes to come.

Robert

Default Electrified Routes

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Jerry, I have been interested in the Milw under the wires for many years and have downloaded all 4 of the Milw routes and enjoy them all. I very much look forward to this Milw route and any future Milw routes to come.

Robert
    Well, as for routes under wires, the MCOA2 will be the last as we will have then covered the Pacific Extension west
    of Harlowton, MT. Some one did the Trans-Missouri division west from Miles City some years back and it is in the
    library. They stopped short of Harlowton, so I have considered the possibility of completing that route to Harlowton
    and I have the Great Falls line in the mix too. But neither of those latter 2 were ever electrified. Another route I have
    that will be at least partly under wire is the Virginian which was started by Simon Van de Laak but I extended it and
    added all of the coal branches I could locate. I also included parts of the C&O that were joint with or close by, the
    Virginian. Simon had included some N&W, so I completed both the Virginian and N&W into Roanoke. That one is a
    few years in the future but I am going to go ahead and create the bridges for it now. The Virginian was under
    wire from Mullins, WV to Roanoke.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)

Thanks for the update Jerry. Virginian is one of my favorite RR's, probably because my Grandfather was a car inspector for Virginian at Page WV until 1959 when he retired. being born at Ingle Branch, WV. My mother grew up on their farm at Deep Water WV, which was the end of the line. I had relatives living along the White Oak Branch in Oak Hill, WV, including my Grandfather after he retired) and some that lived next to the viaduct in Dothan. I have a lot of family history with that end of the line.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South