Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disc 2 Revisited

Default Disc 2 Revisited

I have problems installing MSTS from the original discs (Disc 2 is a problem, as everyone knows) So, I searched the Forums and found that some people have had success by copying the contents of both discs into a separate file and running the setup.exe (using Administrative permissions). I have tries this but , as soon as I click the setup.exe, I get an error "Set-Up unable to fine (or could not rear) the Language Specific Setup Resourse Dll. Unable to continue. Reboot and try again". I tried the reboot but nothing changes. Checked to see that I copied all the files from both discs and it appears that I have. I have had MSTS installed on this computer (Running Win10), since I purchased it several years ago. The reason I am reinstalling is the I had a problem with Train Store because of Registry mistakes (Train Store could not find my copy of MSTS) and I am too chicken to play around with the registry. If someone can help, I believe that even though I copied all the files on Disc 2, maybe some of them are corrupt. Just guessing.

Try right-clicking the SETUP exe and select under properties/compatability "Run in compatability" for an earlier version of windows. for example: Win XP...The Train exe was developed when Win 98 was king so Win 10 may not have the correct DLLs to work with an older installer.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!
    www.mapleleaftracks.com
    www.tigertrains.com

Hi Arremm1,
    You must copy the contents of both CD1 and CD2 into the same folder, then run setup.exe as adminstrator.

Cheers,
    Ged

Tried the Compatibility settings, but no go. Get the same error message. I think that the set-up.exe is ok, because I can install the first disc ok, it's the second disc that doesn't run. I thought that I made it clear in my first post that I have the contents of both cd's in one folder, named "MSTS CDS" and placed on my desktop. I appreciate the suggestions, but it has to be a problem with one of the DLL files on the cd's. Can't seem to find what "Language Specific Setup Resource DLL" actually is!

Try this...."Resource.dll"...Not only MSTS, but many other older games suffer the same issue when attempts to install on Win 10.. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...apping-program

Here is a copy of the missing DLL.. The other alternative is to update your Windows installer program as per the link above.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6pwf9yn82...ource.zip?dl=0
    www.mapleleaftracks.com
    www.tigertrains.com

Frank,
    Thank for the information. I have a couple of questions. I downloaded the resource.dll, so where do I place this file, in Windows/System32 or somewhere else? Also, if I choose to replace the Windows Installer, which file do I download? I am running Windows 10 64 Bit with the attest updates. Thanks again for you assistance.

A BIG word of caution....Don't manually attempt to "place" that DLL in any of your system folders unless you have extensive knowlege and manipulation of Windows system files! I fixed mine, but it was in Windows 7 and I don't run Win 10 and only a limited knowlege of it's file structure, compared to Win 7....Here is a link to the upgrade for your Windows Installer package....That would probably be a better route for you to take. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=8483
    www.mapleleaftracks.com
    www.tigertrains.com

I finally fix my problem. What I did was copied the Folder that contained both disc's files and burned them to a single DVD. The installation went without a hitch. No Missing Language Dll's or anything. Didn't even get a prompt for the second disc because all the files were on one DVD. Thanks to Frank and Slipperman for their help and suggestions.

Hi arremm1,
    I'm pleased you've got it sorted

An even better way is to create an ISO file from the CD1/2 files (in the temporary folder); use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file, then treat it like a CD/DVD and run setup.exe. It installs a lot faster (as would be expected!).

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi arremm1, simply copy the CD 1+ 2 in a folder (complete) and run the setup.exe from the folder.
    I hope, the Community can understand my posts.