Thread: The Semi-Famous Bayonne "Scoot"

Default The Semi-Famous Bayonne "Scoot"

When the Aldene Plan went into effect in May 1967 (Its 50th Anniversary is this year on May 1st) it changed commuter railroading in North Jersey forever (And many still say not for the better). The people of Bayonne & Jersey City complained about being severed from commuter service to the mainland side of Newark Bay. The State of NJ & the CNJ implimented a solution called "The Bayonne Scoot". The "Scoot" ran between 33Rd Street Station in Bayonne to Cranford & back. At Cranford they could make connections to Penn Station in Newark for other connections to NYC, South or West via Path, Penn Central, CNJ or Amtrak. Or connecting trains west on the CNJ main later known as the NJDOT - NJT Raritan Valley Line.

The "Scoot" ran through Conrail-NJDOT years until August 6, 1978. Diminishing partonage of the route & the US Coast Guard & State of NJ wanting to remove the famous CNJ Newark Bay Bridge deming it a navigational hazard to cargo ships into Port Newark. And because the 2 northernmost tracks on the bridge were OOS because of a ship hitting the north span in 1966. The ICC was in favor of it. The tracks remained OSS until the bridge's removal.

Dispite protest from the City of Bayonne (Even a protest on the bridge the day of demolition with Bayonne's mayor & some council members being arrested). The center lift spans were detonated & removed in 1980. The trestles & most of the piers in 1987-88 and a few of the final piers in mid channel in 2012. All that remains of a reminder of the bridge are a few concrete approach footings on the Bayonne side.

This screenshot set is set in 1977. The "Scoot" is using borrowed ex-PRSL RDC units while the CNJ units used on this run are being serviced at E'Port shops. Even some traffic using the bridge is the "Oblivion Express". Conrail ran a few of these between 1976 to 1980. It was clean up of exempt older stock and damaged stock in need of repair that isn't fit for revenue service. Some cars will make it to the Altoona Car Shops, the centerflows to ACF in Milton, PA for refrub and the rest to the dead line for final disposition.

Stock: BLW (+ Beta PRSL RDC's), SLI, & T-S Freeware & Repaints
    Route: PRR-ER

A stormy Friday afternoon in the summer of 1977. An eastbound "Scoot" with a borrowed ex-PRSL RDC-1 arrives at E'port

Arriving at West 8th Street in Bayonne during a heavy thunderstorm.

Coming upon one of the famous Conrail "Oblivion Express" trains coming from the National Docks yard in Jersey City.

Approaching West 33rd Street in Bayonne, the last stop for the "Scoot" before heading back west to Cranford.

White waters of Lower Newark Bay because of heavy afternoon storms as our westbound "Scoot" catches the "OE" on the famous Newark Bay Bridge.

A long view of crossing the Newark Bay Bridge. In 4 years, the bridge will lose it's lift spans by demolition & will never see a train again.

Our "Scoot" passes the former CNJ "FH" Tower @ E'port. It controlled all traffic off and onto the draw. Separated and routed all traffic to and from the Jersey shore and traffic continuing west on the main line to Allentown. Also controlled the east end of the E'port shops and all freight deliveries to the huge "Singer Sewing Machine" factory that sat behind the tower.

The "Scoot" now leaving the west side of E'port heading to Cranford. It passes another Conrail "Funeral Train" with some former CNJ, PC, EL & LV units heading Naporano Scrap by the old CNJ's Brills Yard in Newark. A lot of units met their fate there through the years & even today.

Enjoy.........
    - Mark -

On a stormy day like the one depicted, I'd not be shocked if there was a fair amount of water sloshing around between the double panes of glass on most of that RDCs windows by the time the end of the service day was reached ... at least that was the case on rainy days with most of the NH and B&M RDC units after several years in service coupled with a goodly amount of 'deferred maintenance'.

Nice shots.

Quote Originally Posted by trs666 View Post
    On a stormy day like the one depicted, I'd not be shocked if there was a fair amount of water sloshing around between the double panes of glass on most of that RDCs windows by the time the end of the service day was reached ... at least that was the case on rainy days with most of the NH and B&M RDC units after several years in service coupled with a goodly amount of 'deferred maintenance'.

Nice shots.

I remember back in 1973 when I was 9, I wanted to ride the PRSL from Lindenwold to Ocean City. My dad took me down for the ride in the summer armed with a Kodak Instamatic 126 camera. I was happy as can be until we boarded & why? With the 1969 rebuild of the RDC's by the NJDOT (The PRSL sold the RDC's to NJDOT for a buck each & in return with state subsidy they were refurbed ) some of the units received Lexan windows. We were "blessed" with one of those units. And after only 3 years in service with them, the smoky, scratchy windows from the harsh urban (They were sometimes leased to the CNJ when theirs were down) to seashore environments, you really could not see out of them. Just filtered light rust colored light.

The conductor felt so bad for me, he talked to the engineer & from Tuckahoe to OC I got to ride in the cab (Try that these days). That was the best part too because of crossing the Crookhorn swing bridge & across the thorofare & wetlands into Ocean City. I was as lucky later in the day because I had the same crew for the return trip 4 hours later. Now 44 years later, I like to know what I did with those photos from that trip.

There is a great video on YouTube of the PRSL With splitting the trains @ Tuckahoe (One heading to Ocean City & the other to Cape May) & the Crookhorn bridge operations (They still had smashboards too !). In the 1st part of the vid, you can make out those smoky Lexan windows on the lead unit as it is handed the flimsies by Tuckahoe Tower. I put the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52npXqWL17w&t=6s
    - Mark -