Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to install .ap files

Well, it might have been in great detail but most of it is incorrect.

The only time you need to open an .ap file is if you need something out of it, for example, a shape file if you're installing a reskin, the shape file isn't included in the reskin download and you need to copy it into the reskin's folder.

The only bit that is correct that I can see is the part about RW Tools not being able to see the files in .ap files and flagging them as "missing". But that's no reason to unpack them all!

Unpacking all .ap files as some people do is counter-productive. Remember that if DTG updates something through Steam it will update the .ap file. If you've extracted everything from the .ap file, the extracted files won't get updated.

As far as SteamSoundsSupreme products are concerned, again you need to unpack the .ap file ONLY if you need a shape file out of it.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by latimers View Post

The only time you need to open an .ap file is if you need something out of it, for example, a shape file if you're installing a reskin, the shape file isn't included in the reskin download and you need to copy it into the reskin's folder.

The only bit that is correct that I can see is the part about RW Tools not being able to see the files in .ap files and flagging them as "missing". But that's no reason to unpack them all!

Unpacking all .ap files as some people do is counter-productive. Remember that if DTG updates something through Steam it will update the .ap file. If you've extracted everything from the .ap file, the extracted files won't get updated.

As far as SteamSoundsSupreme products are concerned, again you need to unpack the .ap file ONLY if you need a shape file out of it.

Bob.
    Totally correct in all details. And at no time did I think a war had started - just trying to get the facts right.

RW Tools will show files are missing because it does not look inside .ap files. It doesn't matter if RW Tools reports files missing because they are in .ap files, as long as you know what .ap files are installed. TS will not show the files as missing because it can and does look inside .ap files, because DTG rewrote the software to do so.

As for ex-railwaymans comment that about the route I chose being old and designed long before .ap files, that is irrelevant - I was using it to demonstrate that rolling stock stored in .ap files could be used on a third party route without being unpacked. At present I have 188 routes and 5097 scenarios. large numbers of the scenarios using rolling stock in .ap files on third party routes, which in turn use assets stored in .ap files - and they all work without being unpacked.

As Bob says, the only time you need to extract files from.ap files is when you want to copy them into another folder, or when you want to use RW Tools to see them, for example, when you are changing stock in a scenario or substituting assets in a route. Once you have done that, you can delete the extracted files. For copying files used in reskins I don't even extract the files first - just set 7Zip to 2Panel mode and drag the file out of the .ap archive into the reskin folder.
    Alan
    See this thread for my railway photos https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...78#post1935978

This is going nowhere. I know what I have to do to get Scenarios to work.
    HP Omen Obelisk Desktop, i7-8700, GeForce RTX 2080, Windows 10 Pro

Dave Horton
    North Las Vegas, NV

Quote Originally Posted by dphorton View Post
    This is going nowhere. I know what I have to do to get Scenarios to work.
    That's fine for you Dave, but we are trying to help other people as well - no infowars, just the facts.
    Alan
    See this thread for my railway photos https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...78#post1935978

Quote Originally Posted by latimers View Post

No, it bloody isn't, you've only explained things in another way to what I've already said, it's all correct.

That's what we have all said.

If you want to go through every route and make a note of all the assets to see what is missing on it and then extract them individually, from up to 5 or 6 DLC routes that the author has utilised to obtain all the pretty nice scenery items, then, be our guest, but, as these routes often have hundreds and hundreds of assets from tracks, signals, buildings, houses, vehicles, bridges, viaducts, etc, etc, etc, and you have to have both the bin file and GeoPcDx file and all the textures, it'll take you up to 10/15/24 hours, or, more, we don't have time for that, you might as well just open the complete .ap file and be done with it, it only takes 25 seconds in RW Tools.

Well, of course it is, that's why so many of us are pissed off with DTG's attitude, we can see why they have done it, but, it destroys our enjoyment somewhat, all this faffing around, it makes you scream.

Bob.
    Cheerio.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 05-09-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

"If you want to go through every route and make a note of all the assets to see what is missing on it and then extract them individually, from up to 5 or 6 DLC routes that the author has utilised to obtain all the pretty nice scenery items, then, be our guest, but, as these routes often have hundreds and hundreds of assets from tracks, signals, buildings, houses, vehicles, bridges, viaducts, etc, etc, etc, and you have to have both the bin file and GeoPcDx file and all the textures, it'll take you up to 10/15/24 hours, or, more, we don't have time for that, you might as well just open the complete .ap file and be done with it, it only takes 25 seconds in RW Tools."

You evidently don't understand how .ap files work and you are therefor giving bad and dangerous advice to others who don't know better!

If you have a third-party route that uses items that are in .ap files YOU DON'T HAVE TO UNPACK THE .AP FILE!

THE FACT THAT RW_TOOLS LISTS THEM AS MISSING DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THAT TS2017 WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND THEM. In most cases it will find them in the .ap file and you don't have to do anything. In the case of routes, the assets listed as missing are almost certainly in the .ap file (as long as you have the route, of course).

And NO, we're definitely not saying the same thing in a different way.
    Last edited by latimers; 05-09-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks guys for all of your input. I have seen one place that when 7z does the install that it leaves the files read only. I am finding that when I check my computer (Windows 10) that I am being told that the Security even for C:\ is read only. Sometimes I find that I can't even change a file name as I am told there is a program using the file, but the Task Manager (CTRL, ALT, Delete) command shows nothing running. I have found the .ap fix under the Files Tab on RW_Tools.

Bob Edwards

All this talk about unpacking but my request is this how to pack it back specifically. I want to add my scenarios and more assets into my already scenario/asset filled .AP folder and close it all up as if it were never touched. HOW DO I DO THIS? I want to open the .AP file, edit as needed, add what I want as needed and RECLOSE the .AP file as if never touched. HOW?

Quote Originally Posted by NiN View Post
    All this talk about unpacking but my request is this how to pack it back specifically. I want to add my scenarios and more assets into my already scenario/asset filled .AP folder and close it all up as if it were never touched. HOW DO I DO THIS? I want to open the .AP file, edit as needed, add what I want as needed and RECLOSE the .AP file as if never touched. HOW?

7Zip can do this - best if you run in 2Panel mode. then you can drag the folders/files that you want to add to the .ap from a panel showing them into the .ap in the other panel.
    Alan

I would have thought that, rather than HOW? the real question is WHY?