Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install .ap files

OK Alan, but I have had to unpack before so I will leave it there.
    HP Omen Obelisk Desktop, i7-8700, GeForce RTX 2080, Windows 10 Pro

Dave Horton
    North Las Vegas, NV

Quote Originally Posted by dphorton View Post
    OK Alan, but I have had to unpack before so I will leave it there.
    No problem Dave - might be worth you trying some stock without unpacking.

Its a pity that RW Tools can't see stock in .ap files - I know that Mike has tried. Stock has to be unpacked if you want to substitute using it in scenarios. I always delete the unpacked stock after I've finished in RW Tools so that TS can just read from the .ap file.
    Alan
    See this thread for my railway photos https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...78#post1935978

I have Tehachapi and when it is updated I have to unpack to use the Scenarios every time. Other Routes also. Maybe it is my system but it works for me. This has been going on since Railworks was updated from 2016, I think it was. Whenever they started using ap Files.

Dave Horton
    North Las Vegas, NV

It has to be something unique that's wrong with your system Dave, but I can't think what would be doing it.

I am totally with Alan on this one. .ap files are unpacked by the TS2017 software and it is not necessary to unpack them to run DTG or third-party routes or scenarios (unless you want to edit the scenarios themselves).

If you insist on unpacking them, the latest (Mike Simpson) version of RW-Tools will do it.

Bob.

7zip also opens AP files. http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix OC 2gb graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD. Computer Gamer Since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyme View Post
    7zip also opens AP files. http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
    Yes - my preferred method of extracting files when installing reskins, especially using 7Zip in 2-panel mode so I can just drag the files I want from one panel to the other. Be aware that extracting from .ap archives with 7Zip leaves the files as Read Only, so RW Tools can't read them - if you want to use RW Tools with extracted .ap files you must make them Read/Write.
    Alan
    See this thread for my railway photos https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...78#post1935978

Dave
    I have to agree with Alan here - you do not ever to extract any DTG .ap file to run any scenario 3rd party or otherwise.
    .ap files are just zero compressed files ie the same size as the original when extracted.

TS2017 on starting checks the .MD5 file for the .ap t make sure its OK and it then accesses every single file that it needs in the .ap structure. If there is a third party mod then TS will use that in preference to the original from DTG.

Note if you just want to view an .ap route in RWTools (ie not edit it any way) just extract the routeproperties.xml file with 7-zip and/or RWTools. Scenarios in the .ap file structure need to be extracted (RWTools) before they can be seen or edited in RWTools.

BTW can we see an example of a 3rd party add-on using the .ap file structure, as I can't recall seeing one.

pH

I normally don't wait and just unpack the ap files. When Otto was alive there was a lot of discussion on this subject I believe.

Dave Horton
    North Las Vegas, NV

Quote Originally Posted by AlanCh View Post
    OK - I've just set up a new scenario on a very old third party route, and added a pretty new loco which is stored in a .ap file - and it all works. I can see the loco while adding it, save the scenario, and drive the loco away - and the loco files are still stored in the .ap archive, not unpacked.
    If you want to check it out, the route is from UKTrainsim, file number 22974, dating from January 2010 and the loco is from the DTG Class 59 pack from Steam. It will work with any third party route and any packed rolling stock, as I do this all the time.
    Yes, but, c'mon Alan, you're a veteran of this game, this is a seriously old route that was uploaded to the UKTS library way before .ap files were ever invented, no wonder there is no problem with it, and it only utilises the DLC layout Isle of Wight route, which again was never in an .ap file back in 2008/9. As long as you have not got any 3rd party enhancements, freeware, or, payware, to any locomotive, or, freight car, which is inside an .ap file, THEN, it doesn't need to be opened, just like your Class59, it can be operated quite happily whilst it is inside its little .ap file. However, if you want to install a 3rd party freeware route, from any website, or, one from the Steam Workshop, that uses multiple DLC routes that all come in .ap files, then, they all must be opened, otherwise, RW Tools tells you that you have hundreds and hundreds of missing assets. If you purchase a DLC soundpack, from SteamSoundsSupreme for example, before you install it you need to open the .ap file of the Steam locomotive that the new features are for, otherwise they won't work, and obviously, if you want to add a reskin/repaint to any locomotive, or, freight car, a sound pack, a new hornsound even, then you need to open the .ap file to put the content into the appropriate folders, which all members of the community need to be told, especially, newcomers to the game, the vast majority of DTG and RSC content releases for the last 3 years (2014 I think it all started) are in .ap packs, you need to check after the item has been installed as to whether it needs to be opened to allow any repaints, or, anything else to be added to them, if you don't have anything, then the .ap file can remain untouched.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 05-05-2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Steve, thank you for your post. I didn't want to start a war with Alan. I just knew I had to do that to make things work with the Routes and reskins that I have had to use with when Beta testing Routes. Especially when they used items from two or more different Routes. You explained why in great detail so this should close the subject. Again a big thank you.

Dave Horton
    North Las Vegas, NV