Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who has Windows 10 "Creators Update" (1703) and how does it work?

Default Who has Windows 10 "Creators Update" (1703) and how does it work?

The thread in MSTS about Route-Riter issues with Win10 seems to be sliding into one about the Creators Update. Who's been "blessed" with it so far, and does it work any differently from previous Win10 releases with the train sims (especially MSTS and Open Rails, and supporting utilities)?

Personally, I would just wait for MS to send 1703 to me, rather than trying to get it early. All of my computers are odd in one way or another - an Atom tablet, a 2009-era Asus laptop (i5), and a 2007-era desktop (Core2 Extreme); the desktop is my main MSTS and Open Rails machine. I'm an "Insider" but have never made use of that status except for some updates a year or s ago to keep a Windows phone going a little longer. If Win10 releases are staggered based on hardware/software testing, then I would feel better about waiting.

FWIW, Win10 1607 works well in all 3 machines, with a certain amount of tweaking to minimize privacy issues and network traffic using both normal settings and 3rd-party software. MSTS and Open Rails are on the desktop and laptop; desktop frame rates in OR seldom move much from 75 (locked to the CRT monitor's refresh rate), and MSTS rates there often top 100. The laptop is much slower (15-20) but it's Intel graphics so I should be happy it works at all. I did succeed in getting OR to work on the tablet, but so poorly that I wiped it off - call it proof of concept (it worked) but not usable, and it took up too much space, too. So far, no sign of 1703 being offered to any of them.

I upgraded to this version. I seemed have gained some fps in TS 2017. Most of the time my fps would be in in the mid teens. Jumped up to the upper 20s and low 30s after installing the update. I have run into any issues yet.

I just installed 1703 on my wife's laptop, all ok.
    Laptop is 12 months old and came with w10 installed.
    Cheers
    Derek

Updated today to 1703 and I have checked all my installed programs and MSTS, Open Rails, Trainz TANE, and TS2017 running OK at this point in time.
    Mike

Has anyone noticed a jump (up, hopefully ;-) in fps with MSTS? Most of the posts I've seen in other forums say that there are jumps in fps to programs that are mostly GPU-dependent, like TS2017, which of course MSTS is not.

Also, if the Game Mode is applied to your basic MSTS install, does this also automatically apply to any mini-routes you might have installed?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Shawmut View Post
    Has anyone noticed a jump (up, hopefully ;-) in fps with MSTS? Most of the posts I've seen in other forums say that there are jumps in fps to programs that are mostly GPU-dependent, like TS2017, which of course MSTS is not.

Also, if the Game Mode is applied to your basic MSTS install, does this also automatically apply to any mini-routes you might have installed?

Dave
    That's an interesting question. I wouldn't have expected 1703 to automatically apply Game Mode to MSTS because it's so old, and especially if it's installed outside of Program Files. But maybe it is finding MSTS and applying Game Mode. Try it in mini-routes and let us know what happens; since you're not using the officially installed copy of MSTS for mini-routes, it might not without some tweaks.

If Game Mode is working with MSTS, it *should* improve frame rates a tad. Essentially, it does automagically what many people previously did manually: raise the priority of MSTS and lower the priority of background stuff. Game Mode is not limited to GPU-oriented games, and can even, theoretically, be applied to non-games that need a bit more processing power.

FWIW, with all of my computers being old and/or odd 1703 hasn't been "offered" yet.

The upgrade installed on my computer; so far I haven't found any issues or noticed any differences in behavior. I haven't noticed any improvements from Game Mode on anything; but then it's a fairly fast PC to begin with and I doubt Game Mode can do much with older DirectX versions. DX11 or 12 might get a boost, but I doubt Microsoft is going to do much of anything for DX9 or earlier. Supposedly Game Mode re-distributes CPU process and I/O priorities to favor the game; this might be useful on systems that are slower and have limited memory, but on a recent PC with plenty of RAM, I'm not seeing any significant difference beyond the overall slightly better handling of memory and processes that's just inherent in Win10 since it first came out.

I specifically tested Route Riter (I use 7.6.26) and it worked fine. I had also updated Java and made sure that the TSUtils files were moved over into the new Java install. The first time I closed Route Riter after getting the Windows update, I got a Windows popup asking if the application ran correctly, or if I wanted to see compatibility options. I clicked the option indicating it ran fine, and haven't been bugged since. I've seen that message before on the first run of other old applications, too, before this update. It's just the built-in compatibility assistant trying to be "helpful".

I still have other computers in the house that haven't been given the update. They're also older machines. Microsoft is probably testing for driver compatibility issues before they splatter it everywhere.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

downloading now on my desktop
    backed up the computer first just incase
    works alright on laptop so should work

One little niggle with the Creator's Update (which I got last night) is that it replaces the shift-right click context menu "Open command window here" with "Open PowerShell window here." I would have been alright with this if Windows had simply added the PowerShell command to the context menu along with what they already had, but no, they had to replace it. And they didn't even ask my permission ...

Now, the command prompt is still in windows where it normally is, and you can still navigate using it to a folder where you want to apply some simple DOS commands, like "REN," which I use all the time when I'm fiddling with activities. But it is so easy to just select a folder in File Explorer then shift-right click on it, which brings up the aforesaid menu where you could then choose to "Open command window here." And before you all remind be about all the on-off utilities in the f/l here, or Mike Simpson's Mini Loader (which I use and like a whole bunch), yes, I do know about them. I even use some of them. But when I just want to turn off one folder (say, Services), the command prompt is the easiest way to go.

And I really didn't want to learn PowerShell's command language, because I don't want to be an amateur windows programmer, I just want to do some very simple file management using the good 'ol command window. So I did a bit of searching and found that there were others just like me who wanted their "Open command window here" context menu entry back, and here is the answer to this dilemma.

All this little registry hack does is add the old command back into the context menu, it does not touch the new PowerShell menu item, so you can still use that if you want to. Here's what the menu looks like when you run the hack:

commandwindow.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Just an FYI -- you can run plain old DOS commands in the PowerShell window. It's good enough for pretty much any typical, simple DOS commands. There are some situations with lots of nested quotes and directories where it can go off the rails, but those aren't the typical DOS window scenarios, and usually are better suited for real PowerShell commands and syntax anyway.

There's nothing wrong with preferring the plain old DOS window, though, and I wish Microsoft put a user-friendly option in the setting somewhere that would let you choose which command shell you prefer.

Even better would be if they let you choose the PowerShell IDE over the simple command window. If you do any serious work with PowerShell, the IDE beats a command window hands-down.

WinAero Tweaker includes the fix for switching to the traditional DOS window in the utility. I've always liked it as a nice interface for easily turning on and off a lot of the Registry tweaks to customize Win10.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info