Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New "activities" for the route.

Default New "activities" for the route.

Has anyone made more activities for the route. I'm done playing the few that came with it and want more. Is it hard to make them that no one has posted activities on the steam work shop or is it you can't make them. Would like some yard switching activities to keep me busy.

Quote Originally Posted by traingp7 View Post
    ......or is it you can't make them. .....
    No editor = no third-party Scenarios.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Has anyone made more activities for the route. I'm done playing the few that came with it and want more. Is it hard to make them that no one has posted activities on the steam work shop or is it you can't make them. Would like some yard switching activities to keep me busy.
    Make your desires known to DTG, I did. The more input they have from people like us that desire yard and local industry switching, the more likely they are to create some scenarios for us. You can contact them at http://dovetailgames.kayako.com/

You can move cars around the yard all day in service mode .... you just won't make it too far out onto the mainline

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region

Is there an explore mode like MSTS, or world save like Run8? Just that open sand box alone and the ability to save where you left off can allow developers to come up with their own systems of handling things. Not as great as activities but I gave up on activities in MSTS once the RTS concept began. When software is open ended and gives the options even without the power of AI etc. at least there is potential for repeat playability.

From what I've seen the yards look prototypical in size. But if you can't get out of the yard because running a red signals ends your sim then it's just another limit preventing people from doing what they want with the sim.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    Is there an explore mode like MSTS, or world save like Run8? ....
    Neither.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

DTG just canned DTG Flight School. TSW will be next

Well hopefully they get their act together. I understand the challenge of trying to make an interactive AI dispatcher WORK - No sim has been able to do it. All rely on paths made by ACTIVITY CREATORS. This is something I did with MSTS and it's like reading your own novel. Either that or you become a consumer and have to get every route or add on just to have new content. In other words what usually happens is there is more content than creators (because they too don't want to read their own novels).

Again I don't mind the fact that this is currently 1 route - it has potential. With the lack of servers in Run8, and expansion of available routes I'm having a hard time finding a sim that really is realistic operations wise. Run8 will keep me going for at least a little while, but even what I'm running right now is reduced capacity of industries so I know it will run.

If this had a world save, and ability to do things your way at least that would be a start. I'm hearing lots of people run out of activities now, and for something that had so much potential and promise I don't get it!

I'm still following this to see where it goes, and I'm truly interested. But I'm not sure they are going to deliver on their potential.

Thanks

Sean

Well the old Zusi 2 (German) simulation managed an AI (in single player) that could dynamically route trains via alternate paths according to how the timetable was playing out. It could also prioritise the order of trains so if you were working a slow freight and off your booked slot, you might see the IC or "D" train booked to be ten minutes behind, precede you instead. Now occasionally it did stitch itself up, particularly on single track routes with intensive traffic (such as the old cross country line from Wolfsburg to Braunschweig) but it ensured no run was exactly identical. And as a last resort you could delete a problem train to release an obstruction and get traffic flowing again.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Well the old Zusi 2 (German) simulation managed an AI (in single player) that could dynamically route trains via alternate paths according to how the timetable was playing out.. .
    Oh yes....one of the delights of Zusi was the way in which the traffic was managed.
    Jeez I wish that sim was in English!