Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: DTG releasing a new sim

Interesting that the early sims all came with quite detailed and very extensive manuals whereas now you're lucky to get a basic PDF file. Seems like the further we get to 'real world' graphics the less the developers think we need to have the immersion of a good read. Or, more likely, it simply comes down to 'dollars and cents'.
    Intel i7 7700K 4.5 Ghz - Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 7 - 32 Gb 3400 Mhz - Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1080 8 Gb 1860 Mhz - Samsung SSD 960 Evo 500 Gb - Corsair H100i V2 - Win 10 Home 64

Quote Originally Posted by trainbrain View Post
    You mean Babylon 5 (1993 - 1998)?
    Oops! Yes, B5...I'm not sure why I said BG...Musta' been thinking of the recent passing of Richard Hatch. :P

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Marc, I also had one of those (graduated from an Amiga 500) and also worked in computer games retail between 1989 and 1998.
    The shop we had (Canberra) was the "go-to" place for gaming....Amiga, PCs, consoles, game-pads....the lot.
    I remember that we'd host LAN parties on a Saturday every month in a local hall and dozens would turn up with their equipment and headsets, ready to battle for the next 8 hours!

Aaaah! The good old days.
    Modems were not on my must have list, and I regret not doing more in those days. I didn't get into LAN parties until ICR2 and NASCAR, but once bitten I was hooked.

BTW, Bruce, and even though you're down-under, didn't you participate in the Papyrus Hawaii service beta? Do you remember a bloke named John Wallace on Compuserve?
    Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    .........we moan at the prices of Railworks DLC, et al, but, they have nothing on the Flight Simming folks. I spent a small fortune obtaining much of the Payware content from the well established and recognised companies such as A2A, CLS, REX, Captain Sim, ORBX, Aerosoft, Quality Wings, blimey the list is endless, you need really deep pockets to play this game, which is why I turned away and obtained other cheaper PC games, such as DiRT Rally, Battlefield, etc, etc, if anyone is considering taking up serious Flight Simming nowadays then be prepared to lose your house/car.

Cheerz. Transport Steve.
    I got into FS again having uninstalled FS98 years ago as I thought it was rubbish. When MSTS2 started talking about "Autogen Scenery" I remembered reading that FS9 (2004) had used this and it was a feature of FSX. I bought a copy of FS9 in a sale and was impressed at the progress since FS98. About that time the end of ACES studio was announced so I quickly bought a sale price version of the "all in" (can't remember what they called it now?) version of FSX. Impressed at the advances that made over FS9 I was soon hooked and reading reviews on fs.com and avsim about all the enhancements to scenery, environment, mapping etc. Back then many add-ons came on DVD still and download was just starting. The massive number of 3rd party publishers for FSX meant that with proper critical reviews on many FS sites there was no room for "Fanboy Whitewashing". The competition meant that producing a bad add-on would turn round and bite the publisher. Steve has listed many excellent publishers above and although only a few add-ons were really expensive the sheer number of them soon starts to dig deep into your account . It has to be said that very few FS add-ons, when I was into, it attracted as much adverse comment as RS/RW/DTG seems to have and those that did were shamed by AVsims "Unofficial name of add-on " forums where any arrogance on that publishers part was summarily dealt with .

One of the reasons I bailed out of an earlier trial of RW was that it became rapidly obvious that the only way it could work was by even more heavy expenditure . Had it got even 75% positive threads in the community forums I might just have persevered, but you know the history... so I bailed out. The reviews of TSW and continuing complaints about TS20XX make me conclude (sadly) that my decision was right. It cannot bode well for those looking for improvement on the trainsim front from DTG, that they seem to be clutching at the FS market now
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    ......BTW, Bruce, and even though you're down-under, didn't you participate in the Papyrus Hawaii service beta? Do you remember a bloke named John Wallace on Compuserve?
    I didn't, Marc, because it was limited to the continental US and Canada.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

According to this post on FS dot com, early access version out on either 18th or 19th May:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...ight-Sim-World

Will probably wait and see what first reactions are before taking the plunge.
    Vern.

Well, I've read elsewhere that the asking price is about $25, so, around about £19, and it'll come out on Thursday at approx. 4pm, UK time, I have a feeling that DTG will release the Nottingham route for TS2017 sometime on Thursday, or, even tomorrow, which I personally find far more important, which will take my pocket money for this week, so, I will wait for reviews on TSW as well firstly, there's no rush, it's early access.

Cheerz. Transport Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Available: 19 May
    This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 11 hours. As time of posting.
    Last edited by Flybyme; 05-17-2017 at 12:54 AM.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix OC 2gb graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD. Computer Gamer Since 1985

Well £20 or so will be okay, obviously with the caveat there is no refund on early access. My shift pattern rest of the week probably means it will be Saturday before I take the leap, though.
    Vern.

https://youtu.be/9-26S5BApk8
    Speaking of flight sims, this one is for Arma3.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

There are a couple of threads over at Avsim reporting initial feedback...

Score at present seems to be Fanbois 1 1 Doubters

Think I am definitely holding back now as even early access it sounds like it's little more than tarted up FSX but with more wrinkles and no jets.
    Vern.