Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: installing MSTS with windows 10

The need for MSTS E&T is a bit overblown. An alternative RE exists, and an alternative path generator exists. The rest of activity creation proces can be handled with a text editor if you study and understand the relationships between activity files.

Just what percentage of people who demand access to functioning E&T actually make activities and distribute to the rest of us? 2% at most?

Likewise, anyone still buying AMD gfx today, given the issues, should have known better. Anyone thinking they were green-lighted to buy AMD again because of the availability of a hack from dubious sources is no way to run a railroad.

Signed,
    A happy 8.1 user who saw this train wreck coming from a mile away. And warned people.

1) I'd like, and have wanted, more information on these alternatives, for a long time now. Give it all to me! Paid, free, whatever. We come to the internet for facts and people have been really vague about the alternatives you speak of for some time. As for now, I won't be able to run anything.

2) If I had somewhat easy to use and functioning E&T I wouldn't mind making activities and distributing them. For example, a multipart road switching activity involving empty oil cans to Mojave from maybe Colton for some reason, assembling a loaded return trip, and spotting the empties again after the loads depart using Mojave yard power? You would have to dodge WCRV/RVWC manifests well over 100 cars long, auto racks and intermodals, and maybe the Vulcan rock train to Sun Valley depending on the timing. How 'bout dat?

3) Building or buying a pc isn't completely out of the question either. Would you recommend an Intel/Nvidia combo to stay away from AMD altogether?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi tanglingwolf,
    Regarding your point 3), I'd say "yes".

If you already have a reasonable PC, the simplest/cheapest option would be to replace the AMD graphics card with an equivalent NVIDIA model. This, obviously, won't apply if your PC is laptop or an "off-the-shelf" non-standard model.

Cheers,
    Ged

I had a similar loss of MSTS with my AMD card after AMD upgraded to the current software.
    Has anyone tried installing the old drivers, or do they still run under WIN 10? I had MSTS running fine under WIN 10 with the old drivers.
    Sid P.

Quote Originally Posted by sidp View Post
    I had a similar loss of MSTS with my AMD card after AMD upgraded to the current software.
    Has anyone tried installing the old drivers, or do they still run under WIN 10? I had MSTS running fine under WIN 10 with the old drivers.
    Your answers are in posts #20 and 22.

It's well-known that MSTS works properly in Windows 8-10 only with nVidia graphics. The AMD fix was known and stated to be a hack, and by recent (within the last year) posts apparently no longer works due to AMD driver changes. Rather than fighting it further, the best approach if you want to continue running MSTS in Win10 is to replace your graphics card with nVidia. A newer card, even fairly low-end, will also probably work better with Open Rails than an older AMD card that isn't top of the line.

Your only real alternative would be to backdate to Windows 7. AMD supposedly still works with MSTS there. That's a major job, though, if you've been using Win10 for a while, and can't realistically be done if you have a new computer due to artificial limits MS has imposed.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 06-20-2017 at 11:03 PM. Reason: removed duplicates