Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cima Sub. (UP)

Red face Cima Sub. (UP)

This looks like a great route, but would it be asking too much for the author to break this down into either a spanned zip
    set or separate zip files. When I attempt to download this route, I get a message that the download will take longer than
    12 hours - I have the standard account with T-S. 3Gbt is a bit much. It recalls the excellent horseshoe curve route that
    once took me 28 hours to download.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)

Over 9 hours, last night downloaded, i'am sleeping. And it's not ok. 10 parts it better.
    Not ok with WinRar, but with 7zip i can de-packing (right?).
    Is it right, 9184 elements in the zip-file?
    Last edited by flanker; 05-22-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    I hope, the Community can understand my posts.

Talk about disparities...7 minute download from start to finish, and for my service that would be considered slower than normal.

I have empathy for the folks - that for whatever reasons or situations or providers - have slow service.
    In the US it is primarily because of how the internet is organized - NOT as a public utility - that providers can discriminate and not have to provide decent priced broadband to all.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    This looks like a great route, but would it be asking too much for the author to break this down into either a spanned zip
    set or separate zip files. When I attempt to download this route, I get a message that the download will take longer than
    12 hours - I have the standard account with T-S. 3Gbt is a bit much. It recalls the excellent horseshoe curve route that
    once took me 28 hours to download.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)
    You have a PM Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Talk about disparities...7 minute download from start to finish, and for my service that would be considered slower than normal.

I have empathy for the folks - that for whatever reasons or situations or providers - have slow service.
    In the US it is primarily because of how the internet is organized - NOT as a public utility - that providers can discriminate and not have to provide decent priced broadband to all.
    As I sort of pointed out in the Cima thread in the main MSTS section, the difference in download times is due mainly to whether or not the person downloading is a 1st Class (paid) member or a Standard (free) member. The best a free member can get, regardless of internet connection speed, is 80kbps (Downthemall, running 2 segments which uses up the member's throttled free connections allowance). Divide 3GB & change by 80Kbps and you get the best download time in round numbers. Subject of course to connection conditions over the internet. 1st Class otoh has no limits, and after I joined I got the full 4 segments out of DTA and completed the download in about an hour (high-DSL-speed line from AT&T, not gigabit from Google).

For *huge* routes (this one is close to the size of the PRR-ER package, which was at one time distributed on DVD because of its size), it probably would be nice to break it up into reasonable (say, around 1/2 GB, which still takes a while to download but a couple or 3 a day works fine) chunks. It still might take a free user a week to get and assemble and test (perhaps redownloading one) all the pieces, but it would be easier to manage for download purposes. Though of course spanned zips are always a pain to reassemble unless you actually read and follow the instructions. And if the author chooses not to go through the hassle of building the zip set, so be it - it's their choice, and it's the user's choice whether or not they can afford a 1st Class membership to make downloading easier and quicker.

What you say is true about the state of internet service in the US, though. I could get some improvement - maybe even double the speed - by switching to a cable provider, but the only one in my area (I have 2 landline *internet* providers available, at any speed above dialup, which is better than a large percentage of the country where there's only one; in terms of service offerings, except for speed, there's no real competition) has even worse customer service and constant fiddles than AT&T if you don't (as I would not) pay for TV service too. For both AT&T and cable, figure a final price 20-40% higher than quoted, with occasional bad surprises. Cable in my area is, however, somewhat more reliable.

Can I have two copies in the library of the same route? I suppose I can break it up into smaller chunks, but considering how much trouble I had uploading it, I'd hate to go through that 6 or 7 more times...

If it's possible (to have both in the library), I'll give it a try.
    Jeff

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool.

I've seen full routes in one download with broken up bits in seperate files before, so unless there's been a policy change in the meantime, I see no reason you couldn't do it

Quote Originally Posted by jefffarq View Post
    Can I have two copies in the library of the same route? I suppose I can break it up into smaller chunks, but considering how much trouble I had uploading it, I'd hate to go through that 6 or 7 more times...

If it's possible (to have both in the library), I'll give it a try.
    Jeff I have complete faith in your abilities to upload this... You have put out such amazing work in the past.. But to definitively answer your question, YES you can have a broken up version and a complete version. It has been done before and I don't think Nels went and changed that policy on us.
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--

OK, I'll zip this up into smaller files and upload them.

Bear with me, I have a daytime job, so this may take a day or two.
    Jeff

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool.

Dear Jeff !

Thanks a lot for a very detailed and nice route.

Although I have a slow download, about 1.0-1.2 MB/Sec, it used 49 minutes. My neighbours have modern fiber-optics with
    a maximum of 100 MB/sec however it then depends more on the capable speed on the downloading site...

When I first start up, I use OpenRails X3854 (latest version), I had some problems to load the route.
    There is a small 3 line TRK.file in the OpenRails directory, in the CIMA directory.
    It contains a line like this = ORTSUserPreferenceForestClearDistance ( 2 )

For me, it caused the route to fail startup.

I renamed to trk-file in the Cima/OpenRails directory to CIMA.OLD and got rid of it.

Now the route performs excellent.

Thank you again for a impressive route, with the Surfliner2 on my hard-drive, this will be another quality route.

All the best from John in Norway