Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Paducah GP10 progress

Hi Steve,

I would like to do a CC&P pack at some point. I don't think it would be any less than 8 units, because you need that many on the front of a train to accurately model the Chicago Central. I'm working on making a low nose GP18 that would fit well with a CC&P pack. I think the IC bought the CC back in 1995-ish. When the ICG spun off the Iowa Division to the Chicago Central, they included locomotives that were at the bottom of the barrel in the roster. The early GP10 rebuilds, as well as many GP18s and GP28s were included. Many of these locomotives had already exceeded their expected lifespan and were due to be retired. CC rounded off the roster with some ex-Milwaukee Road "GP20s" which were pretty much MILW's version of the GP10, and also rostered some GP38s of various origins. Years later, when the IC bought back the CC, they also got back all of the tired locomotives they once considered expendable.
    For a few years in the late '90s, there were "frog eye" GP10s wearing the black IC Deathstar paint with ditch lights after a 10+ year vacation from the IC line. The repainted GP10s entered a new number class, the 8400s. Repainted GP38s entered the 9700-class.

I have most of the GP10s already built to choose from. For the CC&P, I might also look into updating the MILW GP20 units to match the GP10s.

Additionally, I would like to make some repaints of Midsouth, P&L and Iowa Interstate, and try to finish off some of the requests. The high hoods will eventually be finished as well. I'm going to try to finish this stuff by December, we'll see how it goes.

Tyler

Here is a preview of the next round of GP10s:
    IC GP10 8294 by sunnhead60, on Flickr
    IC 8109 grain train by sunnhead60, on Flickr
    IC GP10 8097 by sunnhead60, on Flickr

A few things still need to be corrected but I'll hopefully have them done by the end of the week. There are two packs of 4, early and late 1990s.

Tyler

I just discovered an ex-IC GP8 on a local shortline. There's a picture of it in a thread here: http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthr...e-in-Minnesota (post #32). I'll try to get that one done before too long, since it's a nice scheme. Looks like NP didn't disappear into the BN merger, after all...

Sheesh. Tyler you really have a knack for making screenshots feel prototypical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Clark - Butler, Pa

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    I'll try to get that one done before too long, since it's a nice scheme. Looks like NP didn't disappear into the BN merger, after all...
    I like the NP scheme too. It's nice to see some of the great old paint jobs being used again. I still need to make an early GP8-GP10 pack before they started adding warning lights. They are a little varied so I wanted to wait and do them after my parts inventory became robust. Some of them still had high hoods. I think I'm sufficiently ready to tackle them now, and I'll make blanks for the shapes so you can paint them up.

Quote Originally Posted by bessemer View Post
    Sheesh. Tyler you really have a knack for making screenshots feel prototypical.
    Thanks Jon! The well-detailed routes certainly help. I also cheat a little and use the Pause button in ORTS and move the camera around to the desired angle. They wouldn't look as nice if I was trying to shoot them going by at 60 mph.

Thanks again for your photos of the GP9 cab. The Cashbox control stand is featured in several of these new GP10s. I think the GP10s also had the AAR stand like a GP16 in them as well. I've been around a half-dozen GP10s and they were a mix of the three types. Three had the old GP7 style can, one had a Cashbox, another had the AAR replacement, and the last had a more modern AAR replacement. There is almost no way of knowing which units had which stand without photographic evidence. I'm basing my recent models on the year the original locomotive was built.

Tyler

Neat! I've been looking forward to seeing what you did with those photos. Glad I could help. I love those types of details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Clark - Butler, Pa

Hey guys, I've uploaded the two IC 'Deathstar' GP10 packs. Let me know if they give you any trouble.

I did notice yesterday that I sent the Clinchfield GP16s out without a Cabview or Sound folder. Sorry about that. I'm guessing by the lack of complaints that it didn't pose an insurmountable challenge to anyone. They should have included the identical Cabview and Sound folders from all of my other recent uploads, an alias to the Default GP38.

Tyler

What Clinchfields? Nothing in the file library like that yesterday or today. Am I missing something?
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Quote Originally Posted by sburr View Post
    What Clinchfields? Nothing in the file library like that yesterday or today. Am I missing something?
    Those were uploaded a week or two ago. As far as I'm concerned, that isn't a problem, especially as I haven't been doing much driving anyway

My bad. When I saw Clinchfield, I was thinking about the original prior Family Lines. When I got the ones in the file library, I'm programmed to think "Family Lines" when I see that scheme, not the individual RRs making it up.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South