Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Paducah GP10 progress

Yeah, Neil, I'm pretty impressed with Jackson's work. He told me it was his first MSTS repaint. He's way ahead of my curve. I found a shot of what may be my first MSTS repaint. It was bad enough that someone actually posted a derogatory comment about my skills way back in 2010. I like to think of it as a great reminder about how we all started somewhere. Here is my horrid ICG 9534:
    ICG 9534 by sunnhead60, on Flickr

I've made some more progress on Conrail GP10s. I don't think I'll do GP8s. I imagine that there are plenty of Conrail-fan repainters out there to take care of what I don't get to.

A problem that I have found is that the Conrail units have more variety than the ICG rebuilds. I had to go through the whole roster and organize them into like units. There are usually only 3-4 units of any type that match each other. Therefore, I've decided against doing the '49 for now (one of a kind) and instead made two different dynamic-blank versions, as well as the previously shown non-dynamic version. The cabview has been updated for long-hood-forward operation, and has a Conrail-style speedometer. The Conrail engines had a variety of brake stands, but I left the 26L brake stand in place. Unfortunately, I don't have the pictures I need to create other brake stands or control stands. I really kick myself, because as I was all over ICG 7738 taking reference pictures, there was a GP9 right beside it that I could have photographed as well. Boo. It does amaze me that most all of the cabview textures came from pictures from my iPhone. After shrinking things down to fit, you don't miss the high resolution of a camera photo.

The Conrail engines just need a few tweaks and they will be ready to roll. I burnt the midnight oil last night finishing up these two high-hoods.
    Conrail GP10s 7557, 7565, 7578 by sunnhead60, on Flickr
    Conrail GP10 Cab by sunnhead60, on Flickr

I may do my own Bloomer Line set in the future for my own nostalgia. I'll have to build a BN chop-nose GP9 for the '91 and the CR 7549 to complete the set.

Tyler

Nice work on the cab.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Thanks Neil and Tyler! Once I got the hang of reskinning on here, it was a breeze.

Again, great models! Oh, and that CR 7565 looks good. If you release blanks for it, I see an EIRC 7565 in the future..

Jackson

A little Canadian mixed with some Midwestern!

Last edited by SD9043MAC; 08-08-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Outstanding job! I was hoping someone would do this scheme. Does the new CN Blackfoot route still host Carleton Trail GP10s?

Tyler

That cabview is great Tyler. Do the controls work in the 3D cab? I read somewhere that Open Rails now supports fully functional 3D cabviews.
    Jon Clark - Butler, Pa

Hi Jon,

Unfortunately, no, the controls don't work. It's just a #5 view.

I sure did investigate building a 3D cab, and all of the handles were centered and labeled for animation. After reading the ORTS manual and reviewing my resources, I decided the 3D cabview was too much for my time and interests at the moment. Part of what scared me away is the fact that TSM just doesn't zoom in far enough to place an object like a speedometer needle on a dial face. I've considered trying to build a cab at 4-5x larger than scale, and then trying to scale it back to size later.

It may be something I try later on. I have about a full year of locomotive building ahead with the models I would like to see done. I'm eager to move on from the GP7/8/9/10/18 but I have a few more to build before I'm done.

Tyler

Hey folks, I've uploaded the Conrail GP10s to the file library. Hopefully they will be available for download soon.

I changed all of them to a roughly mid-1980s paint job with black step wells. I uploaded blanks for all of them, too.
    Conrail GP10 7565 by sunnhead60, on Flickr
    Conrail GP10s cross a highway by sunnhead60, on Flickr
    Conrail GP10 7565, 7570, 7561 by sunnhead60, on Flickr
    Conrail GP10 7557, 7578 by sunnhead60, on Flickr
    Conrail GP10 7546, 7561 by sunnhead60, on Flickr

Also, a tribute to the locomotive that made this model possible:
    BGRM 7738 with coaches by sunnhead60, on Flickr
    BGRM GP8 7738 by sunnhead60, on Flickr
    I got to ride 7738 at the Bluegrass Railroad Museum in Versailles, KY, and I was able to take pictures of 7738 for photo textures on the model and the interior.

Unfortunately, the blue coaches are for my personal use. I just painted them for the screenshots. The roof and underbody are mapped to the same spot so they look pretty wacky up close.

As always, let me know if they give you any trouble.

Tyler

Thanks Tyler. Your work is very much appreciated!
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Really looking forward to the Conrail units Tyler. Great work as usual.
    Jon Clark - Butler, Pa