Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Paducah GP10 progress

Thanks for the link. Now I need to know how all of that stuff fits together! I have some pictures of the GP7 at the Florida Railroad Museum, I just need to locate them. It has a 6BL brake valve. There are a few pics on the net, but not many. I think most geeps had the 24RL or have been converted to 26L.

I'm still puzzled about the GP11 interior window tint. I'm now certain that some of the "B" *Exterior* textures (Cab, frame & detail parts) are causing the interior glass Alpha to be displayed as Trans. If I export the "B" Exterior texture as 8-bit Alpha, the tint comes back in Open Rails. Unfortunately, that causes half the locomotive to look like garbage in MSTS. Exporting the "B" texture as anything BUT 8-bit Alpha (it should be exported as 1-bit Trans) causes the interior windows to be invisible in the #5 view. Switching to the #8 camera inside the cab shows the interior window tint, confirming that Open Rails CAN process the alpha sorting correctly, it just doesn't do it in the #5 passenger view.

Puzzled.

Tyler

It's a tough one to figure out but the kicker is that MSTS displays all the GP11's correctly.

Ron

OK guys, I fixed/found the workaround to the GP11 problem. For some reason, exporting the "A" exterior textures (long hood, fuel tank) as NoAlpha in TGATool2A caused the interior glass to not display correctly in Open Rails. On a whim, I re-exported the "A" textures as 1-bit Trans and the problem was solved. Now I have A, B & C textures exported as 1-bit Trans, just like the GP10s were, and everything works just fine.

I have a theory that it may have something to do with correlation between the materials used in the shape's parts and the texture they are mapped to. I exported the GP10 "A" textures as 1-bit Trans because I needed to alpha parts of the air filters. Since the Dynacell air filters have no holes or modifications, the GP11 alpha channel would be blank. I decided this was grounds for exporting without an alpha channel. The radiator fans on top are set to TransSmooth in TSM, and mapped to a spot on the "A" texture beside the air filter parts. I just wonder if Open Rails was looking at that TransSmooth part and seeing a texture called that didn't support "trans" and went bonkers somehow.

I'm still completely puzzled, but relieved that I can move forward with the project.

Tyler

Is this something that we can fix on the already-released models with this trick, or were there tweaks to the model. I just finished painting one up last night

Yes, the already-released models' exterior textures were exported as 1-bit Trans and they all appear to work fine on my end. If you export the A, B & C textures as 1-bit Trans, the window glass should work in the #5 view.

The new IC '90s models have a few shape upgrades, but nothing that significantly alters the mapping of the locomotive. I moved the left interior window pane a bit to center it, and did some work with the anti-climber to accommodate white stripes around the top of the frame. Once I upload them, you'll be able to copy the new shape over to your existing repaint to see the upgrades.

Tyler

Tyler:

Please pardon me for what is probably a very picky request, but I was wondering; while you're reworking the GP11's, would it be possible to remap the long hood textures in the area shown below:

GP11-1.jpg

As it is, it's difficult (?impossible?) to paint a loco with stripes on the long hood that pass through this area.

In the "keeping it real" department, having looked at the textures, it would seem just as difficult to remap them.

Just askin'. No prob if it's not a place you want to go.

Douglas

Hi Douglas,

No problem and thanks for making your request now, before everything is finished and done. I knew when I saw the South Florida Express repaint that this would be trouble. I'll have to look at how to make this work. It will probably have to be 3 separate color blocks wherever I can fit them in.

There are a few shortcomings with the texture map that annoy me, but it's too late to change them now. Hopefully I can create a better texture map for the next project.

Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by tbundy1982 View Post

It will probably have to be 3 separate color blocks wherever I can fit them in.
    Curiosity question again, Tyler; would it be possible to map the vertical sides to the long hood texture, and leave the horizontal top where it is?

Douglas

Well, yes and no. I could try the old 1-pixel stretch. That would be good for striping but not really good to look at. I'm going to investigate the mapping around the far end area of the long hood. I might have enough room for two additional faces there. It might be a slight pita for repainters, but it would also guarantee success if you work for it, as well as look generally good.

Tyler