Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Paducah GP10 progress

I have the first of the phase 3b done:

And finally, a few to supplement the fleet:

I still have to work on the physics and documentation. Do you guys prefer single-unit downloads at 20MB or a larger download?

Tyler

Those look very nice. As for the upload setup, it really depends on how many you have. If they were 6-8 like the last couple projects I'd say go one-by-one. But it sounds like this'll be a lot more than that. Maybe grouped by phase?

Looks great! Love to see the Precision National units in there. Early lessors! Should be at home on practically any route!
    Christopher

Loving your GP16s and GP38-2s, I can only expect the same quality for the GP10s. I prefer a larger download where you get them all in a pack than individual units, just easier to me.

I don't think 'one locomotive per folder' is the approach many people take anymore. I bet 98% of the people start the process of adding them to their installation by having to uniquely rename textures and decompressing shape files to allow multiple unit numbers to co-exist together in one folder before they even use them.

I completely agree, "grouping" like pieces if equipment is so much smarter.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm weighing my options now.

The reason I suggested the single-unit downloads is that some of you guys aren't First-Class members and these things are finishing up at around 24MB apiece. I could save a bit by consolidating them into a single folder (3 smaller shared textures), but the 2048 textures are around 10MB each and there are 2 of those per locomotive. Does the visual quality matter as much as a smaller file size? I could easily group several together if the 2048 textures were reduced to 1024.

I've finished much of the physics work and have tested them in MSTS. They don't crash MSTS, but it took 5-10 seconds for them to load up in the AE consist editor window. The GP10s are at just below 20,000 polys and would not be possible without Polymaster. MSTS handles them just fine, but I've found a few visual anomalies that need to be corrected. Anymore, I should really be calling these OpenRails locomotives that are MSTS-compatible, not the other way around. I know some of you guys still like to use MSTS, so I try to make them work for both.

Quote Originally Posted by MMCdude View Post
    That's fantastic! Thanks for the good laugh!

Tyler

It sounds like you've modelled a few phases of GP10s. Depending on how many of each phase you've done, you might be able to group them by phase while avoiding astronomical download sizes. In any case, I very much recommend naming them (textures in particular) so that the engines can live in the same folder. It's been mentioned by others, and I do that, too when I get new stuff.

As for file size, I usually reduce them to 1024s because you don't lose all that much quality. But I keep the 2048 textures around in another location in case I want to go for quality later
    Last edited by ebnertra000; 06-22-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Tyler you've really come a long way with your modeling and texturing skills. Well done my friend.
    Jon Clark - Butler, Pa