Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: New TSRE route editor tips & tricks

Okay, I figured out what Vince meant with his comments and it worked. So I want to add a procedural comment myself
    which may be loaded in verbiage but will explain what worked for me.

A "Vector" consists of ALL the track between two JunctionNodes (red poles)

If you select any track section on the Vector and use the 'Hack' as explained above, it will remove ALL track sections between the two red poles from the TDB.
    The Track sections that are present will then become Static Objects.

There should be NO yellow TDB lines present on the track anywhere between the two red poles at the two sidings you mentioned.

Adding these Static Object track sections back into the TDB is simple; Click on each track section in turn starting at one of the two Junction Nodes (the red pole switches). The yellow TDB display line should appear above each track section as this is done.
    When you get to the missing tunnel sections add them in order continuing until you reach the join where the static track is, joining by continuing to click on each track section thereby adding them into the TDB.
    Gotta' go grab my coffee now....

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Okay, the wife called me to lunch before I could explain what I did, but Vince, it was just what you said, so this clears up the mystery.

First I backed up the route, then I selected a visible track piece and used the "Hack" function. As indicated, the database line
    disappeared between two turnouts, roughly 3 miles apart. I then used TSRE to select each track piece until I got to the
    missing pieces. Then I did a save. Since I have not gotten comfortable placing track with TSRE yet, I used RE to replace the
    missing pieces and continued on to the end of the gap. Now, I had a database line, i.e. a vector between the two turnouts
    (red poles). Did a save. Went back into TSRE and everything looked good. I need to continue working on laying track or
    roads with TSRE, but for now I am detailing the MCOA2 route which should not require tweaking any track, although I have
    laid a few short stretches of road.

Please keep up the good work of providing instructions, some sublime, some esoteric for us.

J. H. Sullivan

Good show!

A tip: When laying track with TSRE I find it helpful to set Manual TDB enable.

This is done by the Ctrl+Q keys and when enabled the track section you are placing will not be added to the TDB until you press the 'Z' key.

Having it in manual mode allows you to be sure a track section is in perfect position before it's added to the TDB.
    This avoids screwups like moving a track section with the TDB showing it's yellow display line but do remember that you cannot 'snap' track sections together unless the TDB is showing on the previously installed track section.

I'd respectively suggest you do use the TSRE editor to install track as that's the only way you'll get proficient. There is much to learn all of it was an enjoyable experience for me. My only complaint now is the lack of elevation data (gradient) for a Dynamic Track section.

regards,

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

I agree with you Vince. I have 3 or 4 future projects that I have digitized, and extracted terrain & distant mountains
    for but have not laid any track, and before I touch those I intend to create a test route, or use one that I have already
    to use for new object checks and learn to place the track (and roads).

J. H. Sullivan

Here's an easy one to remember before seeking out the lost-and-found department:

Alt + VH

Which crudely translated means Hold ALT and then tap in succession the V and H keys.

This toggles Terrain View. Handy for finding out what you lost underground.

regards,

TIP FOR MODDING TRACK WITH SIGNALS PRESENT
    Basically, avoid if at all possible! Sometime tho' you have to and here's a case I've just come across.
    In the Sim, pictured here, a gantry sits apparently empty . . . However in the MSTS Activity Editor there ARE signals here. Also in the picture you van see a signal show in the track Monitor. So AE & Sim agree, there is a signal here but not visible . . . a 'Phantom' signal.MISSING SIGNAL OBJECT IN TDB (Small).jpg
    Using TSRE, I've found an easy way to remove them. Only problem it also fouls up any other signals on the same Track Vector and they need to be either replaced or most often, just relinked.

edit add: Actually the track section with the phantom on it does NOT need to be copy-delete-paste back-save. All you need do is in TSRE with the track section selected is press Z, which removes track from the TDB, then save. Re-select the track and press Z again (yellow tdb lines appear) then save to add track back to the TDB.
    regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 10-24-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Goku recently released a new TSRE test version v0.6963. His release notes follow:
    New experimental and not tested features:
    - elevation info for dynamic tracks and rulers

- set position Y value for group of objects

- edit position of signal shape in properties window

- more actions available from the context menu

- pick elevation for placement -> easy placement of elevated track using short segments

- new option "useTdbEmptyItems = false" may help editing broken routes?

And much more. ***

*** In this "much more" category It looks like he's added a way to remove Track Database Items! These can be displayed from the View Menu ==> TrackDB Items
    Placing a check mark here will, after the DB loads, a graphic representation of a TDB Item, to wit, signal and speedpost markers.

They display as they always have, a BLACK SQUARE BOX, on the track where you normally would find a red pyramid signal marker, a white pyramid speedpost marker but the difference now is they can be selected and if needed, deleted, as it the case of a Phantom Signal . . . which as you know I've been having fun & games with. . .
    Anyway, when I set the View menu to display TrackDB Items, sure enough they showed up the missing gantry signal shapes referred to in my previous post.
    I'v successfully used this new feature, deleting from the TDB the phantoms at the gantry pictured, altho' with a bit of trepidation when as when selecting the black box it turns a ... well a lighter shade of black. If now the delete key is pressed you'll get a warning message to not continue unless you 'really' know and understand exactly what you're doing.
    I noticed that it took several delete warning messages befor the black box goes away. This I believe is explained by the fact that signal objects have multiple TDB and TIT entries and it looks like each has to be deleted separately.

Anyway, I performed this action on the four phantoms at this location. If i screwed up I post (after supper) any bad things that may have happened.
    It all looks good though. Can't wait to try this removing rogue blue poles.

regards,

Question Making the terrain softer and some questions of moving objects up and down...HELP!

Hi!

Could someone please provide support for the following situations..

1) Is it possible to make the terrain softer???, such as the tool that msts had creating a rectangle and pressing “F” to make the terrain flatter to have a more rounded mountains??? I have some “peaks or walls” in my terrain that I want to remove by making them softer… (please see the attached picture where is showed a mountain with some peaks or walls that I want to removed softly… but If I press to make the terrain going down or up that “peaks or walls” are still there just going up or down…
    CapturaTSRE2.JPG

2) Second question: could someone please explain how to move objects up and down?? I want to put a piece of bridge exactly under the track but I can move it down and the pieces of bridge shows to be covering the tracks? (please see image attached)
    CapturaTSRE1.jpg

3) Is it possible to insert objects inside the terrain, for example a tunnel portal to cover the gap created for the tunnel… I need to insert at least a portion of the object inside the mountain/terrain I don’t know how to do that!...

I will appreciate the support,

Thanks.

What's the state of the activity editor component of TSRE5 as of now?

Also, is it possible to make new paths for a route with TSRE5 or will i have to look somewhere else for a program that can do the job?