Thread: Can you select the type of containers you want to spawn on trains?

Default Can you select the type of containers you want to spawn on trains?

I'd like to start using the intermodal cars from the 2nd well car pack on my UP intermodal trains (since they are the ones you regularly see on UP's domestic Z trains, Hub Group, UMAX, etc. and get rid of the JB Hunt/orange ones since they are primarily BNSF, and vise versa.) Is there any option to change the type of cars that spawn? I was hoping it would be automatic like the grain hoppers and how they change depending on if it's a UP or BNSF train, but it unfortunately isn't. Thanks!

Select a train using the CNTRL F1 key and bring up the train maker upper. Then you can remove the ones you want to and replace them with the new ones. Save it then your done.
    Work Safe play hard

But there is no way to make them spawn like that? It would be difficult to do that to each train that spawns in.

You currently have no control of what to spawn in manually other than using the filters. In other words setting the filters eliminates or adds in certain car types that will randomly spawn in AI if that is what you are looking for?

You can however build trains, manually spawn them in, then set to AI if that helps?

Thanks

Sean

Actually in reading your post again that is exactly what you would do is use the filters for those trains. So only select the cars you want to show up for the types of trains. It will still appear randomly the way AI creates it, but it will get what you want. Same can be done for regional passengers services etc. from what I can tell.
    Last edited by SurvivorSean; 07-16-2017 at 05:45 PM.

How would you do that for mainline trains? (ones that don't have industry tagged cars)

Sean,

Is this something that you're planning to build into the next generation of RTS? Allow the car types to be granular enough to include a specific car(s) of a given type?

Actually my mistake on the filter part as I tried that myself the other night and noticed it wasn't there. It's indeed only something you can do at the industry level not the train level. My best advice is to manually spawn them until I can get RTS2 up and running then you might have something else to consider.

In reply to the RTS question, RTS at least for version 1 always had the ability to choose what cars you wanted in certain car types. However I intend on expanding this into version 2 a bit more. I'm making some headway in the survey and spawn systems so I'm hoping to get a base system out in the not too distant future. I'll then go back and add in some other features. But the base system will be able to at least specify any car you have in the system and group it to what ever pool you choose to add a waybill for.

Thanks

Sean

Thanks, Sean.

I'm looking very forward to RTS2!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWRailfan View Post
    I'd like to start using the intermodal cars from the 2nd well car pack on my UP intermodal trains (since they are the ones you regularly see on UP's domestic Z trains, Hub Group, UMAX, etc. and get rid of the JB Hunt/orange ones since they are primarily BNSF, and vise versa.) Is there any option to change the type of cars that spawn? I was hoping it would be automatic like the grain hoppers and how they change depending on if it's a UP or BNSF train, but it unfortunately isn't. Thanks!
    Car Filtering for generated trains is coming soon.