Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Track Monitor - the F4 key, problem

But then again why would a route builder set kilometer posts rather than mile posts when mile posts are the official real world measurement tool for all of Canada's railways?

I don't know if they were set in kilometer distance, only Rory can tell us that. But what confused me was while running a train I was clicking off the miles pretty fast. Look at the distance between the mile posts shown on the monitors between the CN and Cima routes.
    Untitled.jpg
    Jim

I wonder if it isn't that Canadian railroads did things sort of the way the British did, mixing Metric and Imperial measurements. But looking at a copy of a CN version of the Canadian Rail Operating Rules, I see no mention of any metric units at all. Perhaps Metric units were used in the past but not all lines have been converted to Imperial?

As there are 1.6 kilometers to one mile, those "mileposts" on Blackfoot are kilometers.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

OK, so they may have used metric on some Canadian routes.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hiball 3985 View Post
    OK, so they may have used metric on some Canadian routes.
    "They" being the route builder, not the real world railway builders. The real railroad has always been mileposts.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    As there are 1.6 kilometers to one mile, those "mileposts" on Blackfoot are kilometers.
    Actually, it varies on the route . You can go 10 miles up the line and things change radically.

Around the low 40's its 5 markers per 3 miles fore and aft.

Later on in the upper 50's its 3 markers per 3 miles fore and aft.

Not a criticism of the route, but given the modifications and tear-downs that were involved here, sometimes a route builder may need to stuff 7 prototypical miles into a 5 mile stretch when in-game to make the mileposts in the cities and towns land somewhere in the ballpark.

That could just be projection skew... I've done a lot of track work in upper Michigan, and the skew is pretty noticeable above 45* latitude with the world projection used by MSTS and now ORTS. I'd imagine in Canada it gets worse.