Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Track Monitor - the F4 key, problem

Now, if I recall right, aren't railway speed limits in Canada in MPH? Mileposts north of the Border are probably better described as kilometerposts, but in the track monitor, all those show is the spacing. As for what the track monitor or your speedo shows your speed as being, that's been covered

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    Now, if I recall right, aren't railway speed limits in Canada in MPH? Mileposts north of the Border are probably better described as kilometerposts, but in the track monitor, all those show is the spacing. As for what the track monitor or your speedo shows your speed as being, that's been covered
    Yes, CN and CP are in MPH.
    Rory

Good day, when I started working for CP in 1974, around the time when metric was brought in to Canada, CN and CP stayed with imperial.
    It was for interchangeability between USA and Canada. When I ran into Buffalo the only difference was brake pipe pressure. If I remember correctly there was a 10 lb difference between us and Conrail. We were 90 psi and I think they were 100 psi. When we left Frontier Yard in Buffalo we had to reduce the BP pressure down to 90 psi then do brake test. The railroads in Canada did not change to metric.

Mike

I believe Canadian railroads use the imperial system still.

Arizona did originally install metric distance signs on I-19 in AZ (one of the shortest interstates) but ADOT has been switching back to miles over the past 10 years because of motorist confusion. Seems that seeing 88 KPH as a speed limit and driving 88 MPH wasn't a good excuse to try using with law enforcement.....

As signs are replaced or construction projects have been done, they're retiring KM and replacing with Miles. That's causing exit numbers to change, which was far more controversial to some business owners who had used exit numbers in their marketing materials.....

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Arizona did originally install metric distance signs on I-19 in AZ (one of the shortest interstates) but ADOT has been switching back to miles over the past 10 years because of motorist confusion. Seems that seeing 88 KPH as a speed limit and driving 88 MPH wasn't a good excuse to try using with law enforcement.....
    LOL! Funnily the French Police wouldn't buy that either! In fact we Brit's (well the "travelled" ones) know that a UK number plate in Europe is a magnet for traffic cops .......so unless we're very rich or very stupid ...we're actually VERY good drivers in Europe!

As signs are replaced or construction projects have been done, they're retiring KM and replacing with Miles. That's causing exit numbers to change, which was far more controversial to some business owners who had used exit numbers in their marketing materials.....
    Cost of signage kept distances Imperial in the UK without a doubt. My generation (I think I'm geriatric now?! LOL!) learnt both systems so Metrication (well partial metrication) was no big deal to us. THEN some idiot in the department of education decided that this was TOO confusing for little minds ...so for a while our kids only learnt METRIC. NOTHING wrong with metric ...except we use BOTH. Result a generation of very confused kids. They went back to learning both after that. Not exactly rocket science?!

Even weirder is that the US went Decimal with currency right from the start?!!
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Anyone doing 88MPH in a certain famous DeLorean might have other problems on their hands...

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

From EricF -

Anyone doing 88MPH in a certain famous DeLorean might have other problems on their hands...
    True, but it would make it rather difficult for the police to pull you over

OK, I'm old and get confused easily If the route builder set the mileposts at a kilometer distance in both the route and the .trk and we change it to miles it may look right on the track monitor but won't the actual distance really be kilometers
    Jim

Yep. Changing the TRK file will affect what you see for units of measure during the game, and the game engine will do the conversions if speed limits were defined in KPH.

The numbering assigned to a post is pretty much locked in stone (or code...) by the route builder when it's placed. You can make all of the MP 99 if you want to, and the game won't care what the TRK file says once it's written to the W file and the TDB.
    Packerland Dev Release 2013-06 now available on Dropbox -- PM me for access...