Thread: 3DTrains Cab - Adding digital speedo

Default 3DTrains Cab - Adding digital speedo

Hello, I added a digital speedo to the 3DTrains #451 Surfliner cab. I have managed to get it positioned almost correct, it is overlapping the lever in the pic. I have also included my numbers that I used to position it so far, it seems to be too close or in front of the lever.

Digital (
    Type ( SPEEDOMETER DIGITAL )
    Position ( 435 324 2 .05 )
    ScaleRange ( 0 100 )
    Accuracy ( 0 )
    AccuracySwitch ( 0 )
    LeadingZeros ( 0 )
    Justification ( 1 )
    PositiveColour ( 0
    ControlColour ( 99 176 3 )
    )
    NegativeColour ( 0 )
    DecreaseColour ( 0 )
    Units ( MILES_PER_HOUR )
    ORTSfont ( 5 0 "segment7" )

Any suggestions on a value to use? Should it be a minus decimal like I have used?

Thank you in advance.
    [IMG]Surfliner 451 Cab Speedo by D Leblanc, on Flickr[/IMG]

IIRC, this is why one wasn't added in the original.
    Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Don6218,

You have to place the DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER block of text in the .cvf file ABOVE the block that defines the Brake lever. This will make it appear behind the brake lever in the cab, as it should.

If you are not sure how to do it send me a PM, and I'll guide you through it.

Borislav
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Ghost View Post
    Don6218,

You have to place the DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER block of text in the .cvf file ABOVE the block that defines the Brake lever. This will make it appear behind the brake lever in the cab, as it should.

If you are not sure how to do it send me a PM, and I'll guide you through it.

Borislav
    I will try that, thank you, and if it doesn't work I will just put it back.

Hey Marc, I lucked out and got it to work with some help. Thank you for these great locos!

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    I will try that, thank you, and if it doesn't work I will just put it back.
    It worked! As you can see by the pics, that idea worked. Thank you for that.

Now I can put the new digital speedometer in the other units.
    [IMG]Surfliner 451 Cab Speedo 2 by D Leblanc, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Surfliner 451 Cab Speedo 3 by D Leblanc, on Flickr[/IMG]

Very nice!
    Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Pleased you've achieved your aim ...but why? Don't understand why you want that when the cab has a working analogue speedo?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Pleased you've achieved your aim ...but why? Don't understand why you want that when the cab has a working analogue speedo?
    It's just me, there was a blank area that cried out for something in it. I have the same problem with scenery, whether it is needed or not or even prototypical I will try to fill the void.

Through this little exercise I learned a lot about colors and placements, isn't that what most of this Forum is about? I have converted most all of my locomotives, that have a Digital Readout to the 7-Segment displays, with different but realistic colors for the different readings. For me it adds to the experience.

Again, Marc, thanks for these fine locos for Surfliner.

That's not what I meant Don ....and I totally agree with your reasoning and in fact we've ALL (well those who saw the issues) learnt from it. What I really meant was did you know something about these cabs that was more prototypical than as it was modelled? Didn't explain myself well at all ...my bad. As I understood it various classes of loco's had had digitalised instrumentation added when major electrical control modifications had been done ...leading to a hybrid mix of old and new gauges. Maybe I've got that wrong but that's where I was coming from.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Back in the days when I worked at CNR, 1960's & early 70's, there was a transition to computer thingies and such for loco testing. From what I have seen here and in real life cab shots, there seems to be a mix, depending on so many factors I would suppose. If a locomotive is going for a major rebuild, then it would acquire the latest technology that rebuilder/railroad had/has at that time.

I figure if there is the space allotted to a gauge, it should be filled, unfortunately everything in the "Simulator" is still Flat on the Screen when looking out the windscreen, so anything that would add some depth or a change I feel is welcome.

Also, I was so happy I got this to work with as little help as possible, after learning the necessities here over time.

I know what you are asking about now, if someone who drives a loco for a living today and wants to step in and add what gauges are absent and which are added or replaced, I think that would be a big help. There just are not enough good shots of the cab interiors of popular locomotives. The ones that do exist are pretty good overall, look at the inside of a NS locomotive with the Cab Signals as well as both digital and analog speedos, though these do seem like they should be phased out as they are shopped.