Thread: Platform basics

Default Platform basics

Hi, this is an absolute beginner question here, just starting out playing with modelling in gMax.

In the image attached, there is one end of a platform which I would like to tilt down from the flat surface. If I don't create the object with segments firstly, how do I go about separating theses sections to develop from a flat surface to a ramp sort of style.

I tried the line tool but it goes along the bottom and I can't sort of latch it to the vertex to "cut across".

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You don't. You'll need to make a new box with three length sections, and then lower the upper corners down to meet the lower corners in point mode. I would also weld any points together that occupy the same place. If you want a reference, I can send you a Gmax shape for a platform I've made in the past.

If you haven't checked it out already, there are some tutorials on steam4me about modelling in Gmax. They're mostly about making rolling stock, but the principles still apply

OK, thanks. Yeah, I've done a few tutorials that came with it and should obviously probably do some more. I'd like to take a look at your platform if that's cool, I'll PM you my email, thanks.

You might want to consider making the model deeper than you think it needs to be. I've done that with many of my models done in Sketchup so uneven terrain doesn't result in floating platforms or buildings...