Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Railcar Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    It was called "SpoorSim", if my memory serves me correctly.
    It just disappeared, Mike. A real shame as it showed so much potential in that demo he made.
    That's the one Bruce and yes a real shame it just vanished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r36y0WuDwbs
    Yma O Hyd

I have a copy of Spoorsim ver.1 if anyone wants a copy...Nice demo of a 100 KM route..Driveable Diesel and a Garratt Steam loco..Nice scenery too...The author freely encourages redistribution as long as it isn't sold, reverse engineered or otherwise modified.
    Last edited by frankoburns; 07-27-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    That's the one Bruce and yes a real shame it just vanished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r36y0WuDwbs
    Seeing that Garratt running in the sim reminded me....when living in Canberra I had a very small hand in the restoration of 6029.
    How great it is to see it running after 30 years or so (last run was in the 1980s):-

Bruce
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Now that is one very impressive steam loco Bruce

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Off-topic, but as old SpoorSim is being mentioned, can anyone remember Black 5?...

Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Now that is one very impressive steam loco Bruce

Mike.
    I used to see these things working the coal trains up around Newcastle when I visited my grandparents back in the late 50s to mid 60s, Mike.
    My only regret in leaving Canberra in May 2014 is that I never had a chance to ride in or behind 6029.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Remember "Black 5"? Oh, most definitely!!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Tarling View Post
    Off-topic, but as old SpoorSim is being mentioned, can anyone remember Black 5?...
    I do Then there was the Scottish one... many good starts that sadly came to nothing. I can tell you, making a train sim is difficult and hard work!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nels_Anderson View Post
    Years ago, when a publisher came out with a new product they would send out a press release to news sites like TrainSim.Com and that's where we would get our front page news from. Seems like no one does that any more...

So guys please, if you spot news on any train simulator related topic feel free to drop me an email and let me know about it. I'm happy to publish this stuff on our home page.
    Thank you Nels! I really appreciate the news piece on the front page! It wasn't clear to me that I could've sent a press release. The forum rules displayed when joining UKTS explicitly recommend sending a press release to a particular e-mail address, but I don't recall seeing anything like that here.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I would say a real world editor is a very important step forward. Oskari has already indicated he is thinking how that could be achieved. From my experience with the editors in the three big sims, it needs to be done in a user friendly way incorporating the best and avoiding the worst features. As a starting point DEM (digital terrain) import and some sort of mapping overlay (probably OSM) is fairly essential. Again, from the other sims I've always found routes which at least identify with a real world location far more enjoyable than fictional routes. The latter can be fun but often fail to hold the attention.
    I share your feeling with regards to fictitious/real routes. Which are some of the best and worst features? I've already experimented with DEM data a year ago, can't remember whether it was the NASA or the UK one. Are they still the go-to places for DEM data these days? Open Street Map import is also doable (I've tried it already). There's loads of good stuff in old sims like MSTS and Zusi2. Starting from scratch is not necessarily needed.